Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I need a heads up on whether or not to get a 2009 320i M Sport. Saw it at a car supermarket and fell in love with its good looks. It***8217;s done 72,000 miles for £5800 so not to bad. The size of the engine is just right for me. Don***8217;t want something to thirsty but a little bit of fun too. Any issues with the two litre unit I need to be aware of? Any general things to keep an eye open for? Is it a cam belt or a chain?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
At that mileage you're in "new water pump" and approaching "new injectors" territory. The pump is electric and costs around €500 + labor. The 4 injectors replaced, plugs and what not + labour should be just over double that amount. The other common fault is the exhaust fumes sensor which turns on the engine light. This can put you back about €400 in total.
I've been around these 3 series for a long time, (also own a E46 and E36 M3 euro) and I'd say that those are your main worries on the E92 with the 2.0 unit. Always use 98 octane, prewarm engine and if you can have a Pre-purchase inspection made (PPI), go for it. These cars dont have the notorious timing chain issues that plague the diesels of the same era. DON'T change oil at factory stated mileage. Do it a lot sooner and use fully synthetic. I've had mine for almost two years now and am very happy with the drive, comforts and overall feel of the car. (and that's coming from a E39 which I regret selling, but didn't have sheltered space for 4 cars)
I got mine for 70% more than what yours is priced at, almost 2 years ago, slightly lower mileage, although mine is a convertible and had the injectors replaced by main dealer a few months earlier. It also had a full main dealer service history, single owner and was immaculate. Here's a peak. (The CSL style Sparco Pro Corsa rims were added by me)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The car store I'm buying it from has had the car AA inspected apparently. I'm also taking out their two-year warranty which they have said would cover things like the injectors and ignition coils etc and it comes with AA break down.

I think the exhaust fumes sensor may have been replaced in 2013 (23,000 miles) as it had failed its exhaust emissions test on its MOT at that point.

Your pic of the car wasn't attached :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check out what I'm saying in my posts wheels are crap apparently with the run flats if you really want the car do not use the run flats

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Check out what I'm saying in my posts wheels are crap apparently with the run flats if you really want the car do not use the run flats
Pretty much agree. When I got the car, the RFTS where essentially brand new and since our roads in the city are pretty much smooth (my driving is mostly city and freeway), I thought I'd wait it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I***8217;ve never had run flats before and this car has got 4 newish ones. I***8217;ll wait til they wear down and then replace them with regular tyres and buy a repair kit/pump. I did notice that each corner has a different make tyre which I***8217;m not to happy about. Argued the toss over it but they kept coming back with ***8216;the AA have checked over the car and have approved it for driving***8221;. I***8217;ll just have to drive heavy footed and maybe replace them for winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts