BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been lurking for a few months and have appreciated the breadth of experience here from seasoned BMW owners. I am thinking about ordering my first BMW, which will be a 540i xDrive. I am going to be in Europe in early July and was wondering if anyone had information about whether ED in the first or second week of July is even possible (another link had indicated the start of production for 2020 models would be sometime in July so I am keeping my fingers crossed).

I do not know which packages/options will be available on the 2020 models. But I configured a 2019 as follows:
540i xDrive Sedan
Sport Line
Executive Tier--hoping the 2020 has iDrive 7
Imperial Blue Metallic (though I am concerned about dust/dirt showing up quickly so maybe Bluestone Metallic is better?)
18" double-spoke wheels, style 634 with all-season run-flat tires
Canberra Beige/Black Dakota Leather
Fineline Ridge Wood Trim
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Multi-contour seats (are these really necessary versus the standard seats? I am 5'10" and thin)
Driving Assistance Plus Package
Parking Assistance Plus Package
Harman Kardon surround sound system
Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection
Space-saver spare (I have never owned a car with run-flats so I thought I would hedge my bets in case I wish to switch to go-flats)

I am especially interested in the 2020 to hopefully get iDrive 7 and the B58TU engine (though coming from a life of Japanese car ownership I also wonder if it's wise to get a BMW engine in the first year of production). Any thoughts you have on the ordering process or configuration would be quite helpful--as you can tell I am quite a novice at this (coming from a Honda Accord :) )

Thanks for your help!
Hopeful future BMW owner

·
Aviator
2,930 Posts
Hi Niju, welcome to Bimmerfest!

Your build looks like a very nice car! Others may have expert knowledge on model year changeover, but you most definitely can do ED on a 540 in July 19. With regard to the multi-contour seat, it's a mixed bag. I'm 6'2" and 220#, and they aren't as comfortable as the standard Sport seats. We have the multi-contours in my wife's (5'5 and 120#) 550xi, and she loves them. Best to go to a dealer and try them both for 20-30 minutes and decide for yourself.

There are many experienced ED 'festers here, and we'll be delighted to help a soon to be first time BMW owner.

dk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind welcome! I will try the multi-contour and sport seats at the dealer. Can't wait to get behind the wheel of my first BMW!

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
Thanks for the kind welcome! I will try the multi-contour and sport seats at the dealer. Can't wait to get behind the wheel of my first BMW!
I would definitely encourage you to go into a dealership and just try out seats like dkreidel recommended. You should also look at the back seat @ your settings as the seats have different thickness. What I found is that with the mult-contour our son couldn't sit behind me (I'm 6'6" though he is only 4...your mileage may vary).

If you are intent on waiting for the LCI and the fancy new screen (don't blame you), would encourage you to wait for the announcement to nail down your travel dates. They haven't announced "when" the LCI for the G30 is. With the F10, it occurred in July with cars available in October (I picked up an LCI'd 550), so if that schedule repeats you'd miss it.

Just my 2 cents. Either way, a European Delivery is well worth the planning difficulty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would definitely encourage you to go into a dealership and just try out seats like dkreidel recommended. You should also look at the back seat @ your settings as the seats have different thickness. What I found is that with the mult-contour our son couldn't sit behind me (I'm 6'6" though he is only 4...your mileage may vary).

If you are intent on waiting for the LCI and the fancy new screen (don't blame you), would encourage you to wait for the announcement to nail down your travel dates. They haven't announced "when" the LCI for the G30 is. With the F10, it occurred in July with cars available in October (I picked up an LCI'd 550), so if that schedule repeats you'd miss it.

Just my 2 cents. Either way, a European Delivery is well worth the planning difficulty.
Thank you for the information! I will definitely check the back seat as well with the different seat options. Hopefully they announce the LCI soon--I have to go to Europe in that early July timeframe so I would love to be able to pick up the car at the same time. I reached out to one dealer who didn't think it would be possible to get delivery in July with start of production in July, which sounded a little weird--I will reach out to a couple of others to see if I can get some more information.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after speaking with several dealers, it appears my dream of summer European Delivery is gone :( -- I am told that while production of the 2020 will start in July the release would likely not be until September or so. Guess that means domestic delivery for me, since my travel dates are fairly inflexible. Thanks to DKreidel and AggieKnight for your input--hopefully will be able to make ED work when it's time to replace this car...

·
Using SPF 45
3,669 Posts
Well, after speaking with several dealers, it appears my dream of summer European Delivery is gone :( -- I am told that while production of the 2020 will start in July the release would likely not be until September or so. Guess that means domestic delivery for me, since my travel dates are fairly inflexible. Thanks to DKreidel and AggieKnight for your input--hopefully will be able to make ED work when it's time to replace this car...
Yeah, that's not surprising. You typically need at least 6 weeks lead before delivery, and likely need to add a bit more at the beginning of a cycle (initial run may be dedicated to dealer cars for test drives, floor models, etc.)

Maybe you can do a second trip? :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that's not surprising. You typically need at least 6 weeks lead before delivery, and likely need to add a bit more at the beginning of a cycle (initial run may be dedicated to dealer cars for test drives, floor models, etc.)

Maybe you can do a second trip? :)
Hopefully for BMW #2 :)

·
Registered
2020 BMW M550i xDrive
122 Posts
I actually had the same question. I am thinking of getting a 2020 M550i (with the new 530HP engine :D). I can go early July or Mid August. From the conversation it seems like MY 2020 European Deliveries may only be possible after around Aug 15?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have talked with a few dealers, who have confirmed that for the early July build dates I was thinking of, I would have to go with a 2019. I was told for a 2020 model would have to go for late Aug-early September. However, comparing prices, for my build it seemed that ED would be about $2000 more expensive, so I think I will go for domestic delivery, but will still tour the Welt when I go to Europe in July :)
new 550 sounds amazing! enjoy in good health :)

·
Registered
2020 BMW M550i xDrive
122 Posts
I have talked with a few dealers, who have confirmed that for the early July build dates I was thinking of, I would have to go with a 2019. I was told for a 2020 model would have to go for late Aug-early September. However, comparing prices, for my build it seemed that ED would be about $2000 more expensive, so I think I will go for domestic delivery, but will still tour the Welt when I go to Europe in July :)
new 550 sounds amazing! enjoy in good health :)
I am curious... what kind of pricing are you getting for US delivery? I am thinking about doing a 2020 M550i European delivery and think EU invoice + $1000 would be doable. That would be around 3.5k under the US invoice. Currently, there is a 1.5K lease credit and 1K loyalty credit on 2019s ..... so your sales price before incentives would have to be 3k under US invoice for European Delivery to be 2K more expensive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am curious... what kind of pricing are you getting for US delivery? I am thinking about doing a 2020 M550i European delivery and think EU invoice + $1000 would be doable. That would be around 3.5k under the US invoice. Currently, there is a 1.5K lease credit and 1K loyalty credit on 2019s ..... so your sales price before incentives would have to be 3k under US invoice for European Delivery to be 2K more expensive.
Sent PM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts