BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
That Guy w/ the Modded GT
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Was at the RALLYE BMW Car Show yesterday, great event.

On the ride home, my wife and son told me that after seeing the cars at the show, they think matte black would look really menacing on the GT, especially with its new wheels coming on Thursday and new M-fenders arriving in a little while.

What do you guys think? Would it suit my GT? I have to switch all the matte black accents to gloss black if I do it.

Now, please don't start any wars here, but kamigawa was showing me his X3 which is Plastidipped, and the quality and look is incredible, especially for the price. I've also seen vinyl wraps, which look just as good, but are a lot more $$$. They are both coatings that go over the paint and help keep it preserved. Now the real question is, is vinyl really worth the extra $1-2K? What are the benefits over Plastdipping. Some of my parts are already plastidipped and it hold up fine.

I included some pics of my GT as well as a matte black (non-modded) GT I found the internet. Lemme know what you think.

DSC_2351 by dinan_gt, on Flickr

Attachments

·
YodaSyrup
110 Posts
I think the matte black looks pretty cool. For wraps and plastidip, how hard is it to remove them when the whole car is covered? DIY? Or is it like window tint removal, better done by a professional and comes at a cost?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can DIY but you need experience or it wont come out well. However it is very easy to remove. Just peel off, actually preserves paint.

I'm gonna get mine done by a pro DipYourCar Installer here in NJ. :thumbup:

·
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru
851 Posts
The Advantages of Plasti dipping vs Wrapping in terms of application is that:

-Plasti Dip is really flexible because in liquid form in terms of Body Coverage especially in those crack spot areas scattered throughout the car.
Compared to vinyl wrapping, they wrap the car to fit the areas when done with the measurement they will cut the excess, leaving the edges being prone to peeling thus losing its adhesiveness, High speed and weather elements adds to the peeling.

-You can apply as many coats to make it thicker thus making your more protected against rocks, chips and scratches,
Compared to wrapping, it has only 2-3 coats, it dosent have the thickness compared to plasti dip.

-Plasti dipping lasts around 3-7 years
Compared to wrapping which lasts 2-3 years

-Plasti dip will leave a smooth finish making it easier to clean and makes your car still looking new after 2-3 weeks without washing the car
Compared to Wrapping, its matte texture which also has this thingy which i called pores or tiny gaps are hard to smooth out thus making the road elements such as : dust, tiny rocks, particles etc. filing on the gaps.

Btw, I love those VMRs on your Flicker !!!

·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Advantages of Plasti dipping vs Wrapping in terms of application is that:

-Plasti Dip is really flexible because in liquid form in terms of Body Coverage especially in those crack spot areas scattered throughout the car.
Compared to vinyl wrapping, they wrap the car to fit the areas when done with the measurement they will cut the excess, leaving the edges being prone to peeling thus losing its adhesiveness, High speed and weather elements adds to the peeling.

-You can apply as many coats to make it thicker thus making your more protected against rocks, chips and scratches,
Compared to wrapping, it has only 2-3 coats, it dosent have the thickness compared to plasti dip.

-Plasti dipping lasts around 3-7 years
Compared to wrapping which lasts 2-3 years

-Plasti dip will leave a smooth finish making it easier to clean and makes your car still looking new after 2-3 weeks without washing the car
Compared to Wrapping, its matte texture which also has this thingy which i called pores or tiny gaps are hard to smooth out thus making the road elements such as : dust, tiny rocks, particles etc. filing on the gaps.

Btw, I love those VMRs on your Flicker !!!
LMAO kamigawa :rofl:

Thanks. But I'm getting XO Miamis, i'll post them on my Flickr soon (they look exactly like Vossen CV3s)

And with those advantages why the hell does anyone go with vinyl wrapping, Plastidip all the way!

One question, yesterday when I felt your car, it had a smooth yet slightly textured finish. That's what it will feel like right? Also, do plastidipped cars have problems with swirls? I don't think so... and how often do I have to wash the car? And can I use any wash now or still stick to either home or hand wash?

Also, if I get new bumpers for my GT, can I directly Plastidip them or do they have to be painted first?

P.S. SHould I get the current matte black parts glossifed or just buy entirely new gloss parts?

·
851 Posts
LMAO kamigawa :rofl:

Thanks. But I'm getting XO Miamis, i'll post them on my Flickr soon (they look exactly like Vossen CV3s)

And with those advantages why the hell does anyone go with vinyl wrapping, Plastidip all the way!

One question, yesterday when I felt your car, it had a smooth yet slightly textured finish. That's what it will feel like right? Also, do plastidipped cars have problems with swirls? I don't think so... and how often do I have to wash the car? And can I use any wash now or still stick to either home or hand wash?

Also, if I get new bumpers for my GT, can I directly Plastidip them or do they have to be painted first?

P.S. SHould I get the current matte black parts glossifed or just buy entirely new gloss parts?
Cool

People are afraid to do it and IMO they think its a poor mans paint job =.=

Yes. Will Dip get swirls? Lol, No. Even with Glossifier on top of it? Nope.
It will show swirls if you put a REAL Clear coat on top of the dip which is NO RECOMMENDED AT ALL~

I wash my car ever 2-3 Weeks. I just wipe down my windows because of the accumulating dust and dead bug guts every week.

Yes, Plasti dip can be applied to any surface bare steel, Alumium, unpainted or painted parts. Which protects it from corrosion and rust.

Kinda don't understand your last question:eeps:

·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool

People are afraid to do it and IMO they think its a poor mans paint job =.=

Yes. Will Dip get swirls? Lol, No. Even with Glossifier on top of it? Nope.
It will show swirls if you put a REAL Clear coat on top of the dip which is NO RECOMMENDED AT ALL~

I wash my car ever 2-3 Weeks. I just wipe down my windows because of the accumulating dust and dead bug guts every week.

Yes, Plasti dip can be applied to any surface bare steel, Alumium, unpainted or painted parts. Which protects it from corrosion and rust.

Kinda don't understand your last question:eeps:
Dont worry about the last question. I already found out the answer.

So do you handwash it? And if you do, any specific steps for the plastidip?

Also, I've heard that when it rains plastdip accumalaties moisture on the wheels (if theyre dipped), and it could lead to uneveness. Is this true if I do the body of the GT?

·
851 Posts
Dont worry about the last question. I already found out the answer.

So do you handwash it? And if you do, any specific steps for the plastidip?

Also, I've heard that when it rains plastdip accumalaties moisture on the wheels (if theyre dipped), and it could lead to uneveness. Is this true if I do the body of the GT?
Me personally, I like to handwash my own car, both dipped and undipped.
For washing a car, you can use any car wash soap, i would recommend that you get the Dip rubber washer from the site.
there is no specific way to wash a dipped car, its easier than a normal handwash for sure and alot more quicker which you don't need to use the 2 step bucket method.

I don't know where you heard that but that sounds ridiculous. Unless the rain is made up of 99% acid then yea.

·
Cray
3,883 Posts
I'm just gonna put this out there:

You do not wanna be known as the "Plastidipped 5 GT". Just no on so many levels.

IMO. ;)

·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just gonna put this out there:

You do not wanna be known as the "Plastidipped 5 GT". Just no on so many levels.

IMO. ;)
What is so wrong with Plastidip? It's just like vinyl only less pricey. And kamigawa dipped his car, and it looks very unique in person. And seems to have many benefits.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I don't know, I like your car the way it is. The matte pictures you posted make the car look boxy. I think the gloss look of yours hides some of the GT's lines that I personally don't care for. Don't mess with it, it looks great the way it is.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I don't understand the impulse to wallpaper a car. Can't folks leave enough alone?

It is not about the car. It is about one's incessant need for attention.

·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't understand the impulse to wallpaper a car. Can't folks leave enough alone?

It is not about the car. It is about one's incessant need for attention.

It's not because I want to always stand out, but i feel it really suits the GTs personality.

·
851 Posts
I don't know, I like your car the way it is. The matte pictures you posted make the car look boxy. I think the gloss look of yours hides some of the GT's lines that I personally don't care for. Don't mess with it, it looks great the way it is.
Hah, It's interesting that you said that the GT in matte looks Boxy with its lines, that's a new perspective for me. I mean everyone has their Opinion, but i always think the Lines makes the Car more masculine, Athletic and more capable.
But hey, you wouldn't know until you tried it right? Pictures doesn't justify everything until you see it in person.

But when you hide the lines, wouldn't it make the GT look more fat?:rofl:

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
You're out of my league now on the lines and masculine reference. I will leave it at this, I don't care for the GT in general and I think a matte job would draw more attention to what I don't like.

·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I did some more research, and I found another alternative to both Plastdip and vinyl which seems to be the best of both worlds. It is called Car Dip UK (ill include a link below) and it is a liquid vinyl with a smooth non textured surface. After drying, it turns into vinyl, and you cannot tell the difference between the dip and vinyl. According to their website, it is a much more high quality product compared to plastidip, it is in fact not an all purpose rubber coating, but rather specifically designed for cars. In the Dipping Examples Section of their website, they show their customers dipped rides, and they are all very high end vehicles (Porsche, Lamborghini, etc. )

I am looking into to it and hopefully all works out.

Now the real question is, who likes or doesn't like matte black on the GT. Please post yes or no, all opinions welcome.

http://www.cardipuk.com/dipping-examples/

·
Cray
3,883 Posts
Here's all I gotta say about your question:

I have to be honest and say that I absolutely detest the GT's styling, never really seen one I like, though yours is the only one I actually have found pleasing to look at, at all, so I wouldn't mess with it one bit. :D I think you have it dialed in so as not to look "offensive" to those of us who usually find GT's so, and bring out the strong points and aggressiveness of the design, while the "all blackness" and all that reflective gloss of it hides that kind of square/hunchy/crossover look of it by just making it look like some big, "what the heck is that" shiny black thing.

I think making it matte, as Joe-BMW said, might work for one who does have an acquired taste to the GT's styling and architecture (which I guess to you should be all that matters as it's your car and should just tickle your senses), but will really bring out and flaunt the negatives of it to those who don't like it (again, shouldn't matter to you, but if your'e asking....). A matte design really makes the lines and shape "naked" in a way as it doesn't reflect from the design, it literally absorbs all light into it. IMO it just doesn't work with a GT.

·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys... I honestly really appreciate your opinions. This is why ai love the forum. I decided to keep the car BSM, but with matte black accents.

And that saves me some dough for more mods, I'm thinking about doing OnEighty headlights... This time in matte black (or gunmetal grey?)

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Here's all I gotta say about your question:

I have to be honest and say that I absolutely detest the GT's styling, never really seen one I like, though yours is the only one I actually have found pleasing to look at, at all, so I wouldn't mess with it one bit. :D I think you have it dialed in so as not to look "offensive" to those of us who usually find GT's so, and bring out the strong points and aggressiveness of the design, while the "all blackness" and all that reflective gloss of it hides that kind of square/hunchy/crossover look of it by just making it look like some big, "what the heck is that" shiny black thing.

I think making it matte, as Joe-BMW said, might work for one who does have an acquired taste to the GT's styling and architecture (which I guess to you should be all that matters as it's your car and should just tickle your senses), but will really bring out and flaunt the negatives of it to those who don't like it (again, shouldn't matter to you, but if your'e asking....). A matte design really makes the lines and shape "naked" in a way as it doesn't reflect from the design, it literally absorbs all light into it. IMO it just doesn't work with a GT.
Exactly what I was trying to say but much better put. Agree 100% with all points including liking his car and what he has done to it while not being fond of the GT overall.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts