BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a used BMW X3 2.8 from a Bimmer dealer here in town. It has around 28000 miles on it and has most features including Nav. It had a few scratches on the body but they told me they would be able to remove before I bought it. I was thinking about buying the maintenance warranty with it where they quoted me a price of 2100. I've driven the car with my family and they like it. What do you all think?

FYi, I've had a 1999 528i before and the maintenance cost was pretty steep, of course I didn't but it with warranty from the dealer, so different situation, but I love the way the drive and handle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you can, I would wait for x3 redesign in Q4 2017. I have 2013 x3 2.8 with 59k on it and can't wait to get out of it.

I fear for the timing chain problem (see threads in this blog) and don't like the handling in windy conditions on the highway. That said, it is all about what you like and BMW is selling of this model on the uptick.

I would definitely get the warranty extension and make sure you are clear on service vs. warranty. Price you mention is low for warranty and feels like service @ 2 years 50k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hlrose
Thanks for the quick reply..
Yea, we're looking at 3 vehicles and this is one of them. We can't really wait, my wife needs something pretty quick, but I never try to respond rushingly.

Yea, I have been reading about the timing chain problem in this forum. Also, the same vehicle I am looking to buy at the dealer was priced at around 31k and today they've dropped it to 28,600. It sounds like a very good deal, but that issue is scaring me off.

Yea, I will definitely get the warranty for sure and make sure all of the services have been done before I purchase.. But when I get the warranty I believe it warrants up to 100,000 miles. Wouldn't that issue be covered if it occurs during that time?

·
Anti-Hack
5,133 Posts
A timing chain shouldn't fail. Ever. I wouldn't own an N20 if you gave it to me. Warranty would cover it, less the deductible, but that's still not enough to cover the PIA if having the engine seize on the freeway and then getting rear-ended because no one is familiar with getting the electronically controlled transmissions into neutral. Is it really worth taking the risk that on any given day your wife will call you saying the car died, because you know darn well it'll be your fault? Go for a 35 or keep shopping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts