BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like all I have read on the 335d EXCEPT I have not found much info given about what it is like to drive in poor conditions. How is the handling in snow/slush and rain? I have not driven many rear wheel drive cars and wanted to know if I should be concerned or what to watch out for. Please help!

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
If you have a Z3 M, the handling is similar. They are both RWD cars. If memory serves, DTC (cold weather traction control) is not available on the Z3, so there is some improvement in the 335d being able to handle adverse traction situations. If snow/slush/ice is a significant concern, maybe the X5 d would be better?

·
Registered
814 Posts
The E90 is not known for it's snow road handling but it's fine in the wet.

My advice having owned one for two months is...

GET ONE NOW!!!

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
You live in the DC area. You'll be fine for the snows in that area. If you want extra peace of mind, an extra set of snow tyres is recommended. Do a search on the topic, it's been oft discussed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ditto all the above. BTW, if you haven't reached out to a dealer yet. Recommend you call Joern Esser at Passport BMW - he's fair, honest, and I just purchased my 335d from him on Mon.

Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really like all I have read on the 335d EXCEPT I have not found much info given about what it is like to drive in poor conditions. How is the handling in snow/slush and rain? I have not driven many rear wheel drive cars and wanted to know if I should be concerned or what to watch out for. Please help!
The 335d only started arriving in the U.S. late last winter, so I'm assuming that's why there haven't been many posts stateside about winter driving.

If you haven't driven one yet, start there. It's very well-balanced. I'm not too concerned because of that and the traction control. I haven't driven RWD regularly for over 20 years. The only real problem I ever encountered with RWD on snow-covered roads was getting up hills if the terrain/conditions didn't allow me to get enough momentum before starting the ascent. But that was 25 years ago in a '78 Firebird, which had a very light tail. Plus I traveled mostly country roads that saw fewer snowplows. I actually had a lot of fun with that car in those conditions, and in 5 winters only ever ditched it once :D

A good dose of common sense and a basic grasp of the fundamentals of winter driving goes a long way as well. Armed with those, most any vehicle can be driven safely in all but the most extreme of conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts