BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I started out as a lot guy at a BMW dealer today! I'm pretty familiar with the brand, and have always wanted one, but since now I get discounts and benefits, it's more accessible than ever. I want a 2012-2014 328, I drive a lot of highway and figure the 335 would be awesome but I need to consider fuel savings, definitely, and the 328 gets similar mileage as my previous 2015 Golf 1.8t. So...I have some questions...
1) What are some must-have packages/equipment?
2) Should I service it at the dealer rather than doing it on my own?
3) What are the oil change intervals? 24,000km? And should I follow that, or change it earlier?
4) 6spd manual or 8spd auto? I love my manuals, but can do with an auto I guess(never owned one)

If somebody(or some people) can chime in, that would be awesome!

·
David
13 Posts
When I was optioning my 2015 428 a couple of years ago, I got a little manic and threw in a bunch of options that I thought were real fluff - mostly because I'd never had them on other cars. But once I started driving it, I was really surprised at how much I appreciated all of them. One that stands out in particular is the overhead and side view cameras. I felt a little guilty for paying the extra money when I ordered it - but now I use them all the time. I really love how the overhead cameras allow me to see how I'm fitting into a parking spot, or how to avoid scraping my rims when parallel parking!

The auto transmission on my 428 is nice - though it has taken me quite a while to get used to it. (See my thread about Driving mode dilemma). With all the semi-automatic features and various driving modes, I've had a little trouble getting in tune with the car and predicting what it will do next. In the past I've had much simpler automatic transmissions - one trick ponies. But I could almost always predict how they would respond. I still don't think I'd go back to a stick - too much work IMHO :)

Not sure what the difference in mileage is between a 328 and 335, but in the 4 series, it's not that much - especially if you drive with any gusto. Yes, you can eek more mileage out of an i4, but in practice, I like feeling the horses under the hood too much to drive like a granny all the time. The main reason I ended up opting for the i4 was the $5500 price difference and my already straining budget (with all the options). And the 0-60 times are very close between the 428 and 435. But what I have found is that the 0-60 time really doesn't tell the whole story. It's not just how fast to get to 60 mph, but it's the way in which you get there. I think I would really enjoy the higher torque at lower RPMs that an i6 would provide. The i4 is a real trooper - but it has wind up a lot more to get the same job done.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Alright so I started out as a lot guy at a BMW dealer today! I'm pretty familiar with the brand, and have always wanted one, but since now I get discounts and benefits, it's more accessible than ever. I want a 2012-2014 328, I drive a lot of highway and figure the 335 would be awesome but I need to consider fuel savings, definitely, and the 328 gets similar mileage as my previous 2015 Golf 1.8t. So...I have some questions...
3) What are the oil change intervals? 24,000km? And should I follow that, or change it earlier?
4) 6spd manual or 8spd auto? I love my manuals, but can do with an auto I guess(never owned one)

Just my opinion
1> M-sport, lighting pack (xenons), driver's assistance pack (rear camera + sensors)
2> If you can do it on your own, I don't see a reason to go to the dealer. In fact if I had the confidence to do it myself, no way I would take it to the dealer. The best dealers barely treat the car acceptably; the worst ones seem to trash it.
3> It started with 15000 miles in 2012, but it's now down to 9000-10000 miles. You're not in the US?? Then I'm not sure how applicable my other advice is. :)
4> You can't go wrong with either in the F30, but manual provides a bit more enjoyment if you're into them. If getting auto, you might want to look for one with "sport auto" so that it has paddle shifters.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Navigation, backup camera (it will cost over $1000 incl labor to have it done aftermarket). Don't bother with upgraded sound system as you can buy the Bavsound replacements and it will sound way better than anything.
I really wanted Xenon headlights but really the old standard lights work just fine, esp if you have parking lights to help light up the near road.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Xenons for the look, and NAV with HUD - head-up display. The last is so convenient that I can not imagine how I was driving without it on other cars. HUD makes huge diff.

·
Super Moderator
3,646 Posts

1. Highly individualized. Some must have automatic transmission. Others must have a moonroof. Some must have xenon headlights. Some must have the sports package for the suspension. Some don't need any of these.

2. If you can do it yourself, your workmanship is often better, particularly if you know how and have the time. You can let all the oil drain out. You can tighten things exactly.

3. There is an iDrive monitor. It is roughly 24,000 km for 2012-2013 and roughly 16,000 km for 2014-later. It's reasonable to follow that except some would opt for a 12,000 km oil change if they have a 2012-2013 since 24,000 km is too long for some, including me.

4. Very personal choice. I like manuals but I have driven other family members' automatics. With an automatic, if I am driving very conservatively, it often doesn't upshift as early as I'd like. I cannot "tell" the car "I am in no hurry and will not suddenly accelerate so upshift now". On the other hand, an automatic has more flexibility if other people drive the car or want/need to drive it. Manuals will be hard to find. If you have time, look for a few weeks then give up.

·
Sedan Driver
330 Posts
1) What are some must-have packages/equipment? For me: back up camera, sports seats (the thigh support isn't so good in the non-sports), and adaptive suspension if it's xdrive
2) Should I service it at the dealer rather than doing it on my own? For the small stuff no. for the big stuff i do. If you get at cost pricing you should!
3) What are the oil change intervals? 24,000km? And should I follow that, or change it earlier? BMW US had changed to a 10K miles oil change frequency. I recommend 8-10K km. Don't wait 24K... the oil is going to be sludge
4) 6spd manual or 8spd auto? I love my manuals, but can do with an auto I guess(never owned one): whatever you can get. There's going to be so few manuals available.

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
Alright so I started out as a lot guy at a BMW dealer today!
I don't know what that means. "Lot guy". Congrats, though, it sounds like you're stoked!
None. You don't need any of that crap, and it's more stuff to go wrong. Seriously.
No. If you can DIY, then do it. You'll save money, learn more about the car, and probably appreciate what you have. You'll also learn more about the car, which will serve you later in life as you own more and different cars.
Change it earlier if you want to keep the car a long time. If you plan to flip it in a year, then don't bother.
Buy the manual. You enjoy manuals you say, so continue to enjoy it. Most of the time you're on the highway anyway, long-term costs are lower (automatics are insanely expensive to repair when they go bad) and it won't be much longer before you can't buy a car with a manual any more. And in most cases, a manual is cheaper to buy (less demand).

Good luck!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a six speed with HUD, nav, driver's assist plus and now consider all "essential." I wish I had xenon lights as the halogens are so poor they almost constitute a hazard. Mine didn't have heated seats but I had after market installed by the dealer before I took delivery. My advice is to get as many added features as you can afford. They're all good.
Good luck.

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
My tuned 335 gets 31 mpg on the highway. (And it's only a 6-speed A/T) How much more do you expect to save (IRL) in the 328? The biggest difference will probably be city driving. Just a thought. :dunno:

·
Registered
264 Posts

1) IMHO - Sport Line/M-Sport, Premium
2) Since you work at a dealer and have discounts, have the car done while you work.
3) The dealer has a scanner for your key fob that will tell them what your car needs. Additionally, the car will tell you when it needs service. Synthetic oil lasts longer than conventional
4) Absolutely 6 speed manual, provided you can find one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts