BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Thinking of buying...BMW Ranks worst for second hand repairs.

1592 13
Link below for folks thinking about second hand BMW...it would be good to see the actual study details.

I have to say my 03 - 530 has been worse than my 528. Depsite the 530's high ranking in consumer reports, it has had quite a few things go on it, that I would not have expected for a premium brand. Important to get that PPI for the car you are interested in and do some research on this forum to see what to look for.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/news/second-hand-bmws-rank-highest-staying-off-road-115700299.html
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
I just keep up on PM and never have any problems.
if it ain't broke, fix it!
Fix it before it brokes. :D
if it ain't broke, fix it!
If it ain't broke, don't go broke.
If you don't have the chips, you shouldn't be in the game. :D
If it ain't broke, don't go broke.
It's really all about the maintenance. Not all that many things just "break" on a well-maintained car but the parts do wear out, especially after 100k miles, so it is important to research and know what those parts are and when to proactively work on them. The cooling system is especially prone to wearing out and special attention should be paid to it.
what you can do with family members which just try to screw your wallet ?
same thing ... :eek:
They told you all you need to know. First, its in the U.K. Second, it was a self-identifying quiz and not actual research. Third, its freaking Yahoo via a South Asian news agency.

Take this article with a miniscule grain of salt.
Link below for folks thinking about second hand BMW...it would be good to see the actual study details.

I have to say my 03 - 530 has been worse than my 528. Depsite the 530's high ranking in consumer reports, it has had quite a few things go on it, that I would not have expected for a premium brand. Important to get that PPI for the car you are interested in and do some research on this forum to see what to look for.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/news/second-hand-bmws-rank-highest-staying-off-road-115700299.html
At the time I could have bought the 540i but the 525i was cheaper and nonV8 means less components same luxury. I prefer it. Some times I wish I had more power but even with the 540i I would eventually say the same thing.
Just because you can afford a second hand BMW doesnt mean you can afford the maintience. If your a god DIYer you should be A ok. Any car can empty your pockets if its a giant POS. buyer beware, and always PPI!
Didn't had a 528, but my 530 is more reliable than other cars I owned from new or 2nd hand. Each brand has its flaws.
Mine hasn't been bad. The only major items have been the cooling system and front suspension (thrust arms / bushings and shocks). Otherwise, just normal maintenance (batteries, filters, tires, valve cover gasket). I can't complain at all. The E39 is very easy to work on. You don't have to be an expert. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.
Looking back over the years to '06, Consumer Reports April '12 issue generally mirrors the Brits' results for recent BMWs. Most models are rated average to much worse than average, not too different from the Audi lineup.

This data doesn't reflect the E39 experience, but it sure smells bad for the Krauts.

BMWs suffer from elegant and complex engineering: can you say "electric water pump?" "Battery introduction?"
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.