BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
After 17 plus years with my e39 540 m sport I can say if you take care, join the local bmw club and do reasonable maintenance/ incremental work, focus on the know weak spots of that model, and don’t use cheap tires or parts, they do run forever. I hopped in it and drove 1000 miles recently and had no concerns or issues. Agree with above, believe what the owner and car are telling you with out words, always research that year and model, pull the bmw codes with a proper laptop or reader and get someone who knows bmws to look it over.
Btw, I am still trying to get over “It's okay now, but I had a LOT of things to sort through including a clogged oil pickup tube from an ingested drive belt somewhere in its past.” Ouch…..

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'll sell you mine but I think it would be a long drive to Alaska from Phoenix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't like to bash my own BMW's, but I have a 2007 E83 that now has 240K + miles. My wife drove it a few years when it was new, I drove it after that, and it is now in the hands of our Daughter at College. We named it many years ago the 90 day wonder, because you never know what will fail in the next 90 days, but be ready. It will never disappoint. These E83's are not reliable. I do all my maintenance and repairs, everything. You will spend endless dollars keeping it on the road. I got way too deep in mine, and just decided to keep it going to get our daughter through college, and then I'll be done. I don't think these X3's were really built to take the demands of driving in the U.S. Look for newer, or get a 3 series.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
They definitely violated the KISS rule on these E83s. But keeps us shade tree mechanics busy, and sometimes literally off the streets. :-{

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
4,364 Posts
I don't like to bash my own BMW's, but I have a 2007 E83 that now has 240K + miles. My wife drove it a few years when it was new, I drove it after that, and it is now in the hands of our Daughter at College. We named it many years ago the 90 day wonder, because you never know what will fail in the next 90 days, but be ready. It will never disappoint. These E83's are not reliable. I do all my maintenance and repairs, everything. You will spend endless dollars keeping it on the road. I got way too deep in mine, and just decided to keep it going to get our daughter through college, and then I'll be done. I don't think these X3's were really built to take the demands of driving in the U.S. Look for newer, or get a 3 series.
The 07s should all be in a yard/class of their own. The forum can't go three days out of a week without an issue reported about the 07...but don't take my word for it.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
They aren’t cars for bolt-on mechanics who think every no-start is a cam sensor, but respond well to troubleshooting. Ours is 200 miles from home port on a 1 hour commute every morning

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
4,364 Posts
Nor are they cars that every suspension bump is cured by the overly excited task of replacing ball joints at a moments whem.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts