BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning gents. I am currently tossing the idea around of going to a 545i from my current E39 M5. Unlike a lot of the E39 guys I really like the bangle design and I'm starting to not feel the need for speed. I just bought a house and it seems my thinking has changed about a lot of things including practicality of cars. I love the power of the M5 now however I'm slowly wishing to have an auto so that my g/f can drive it too. It's really coming down to two options which will cost me nearly the same. 1) keep the M5 and make the necessary normal repairs (have 107k right now) or 2) dump the M5 and jump into the 545i. Any input from you guys is appreciated:thumbup:

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
I don't think the transition from the M5 to the 545 will be that extreme. You won't give up that much power, and you'll gain some extra space and comfort. I'd avoid the early '04 models however, as they are a bit more troublesome, and lack some toys like bluetooth.

However, it would be hard for me to give up my manual transmission. Since I'm married, my wife is stuck with me. I don't have to impress her by catering to her poor choice of transmission. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
hmm I have a 03 540 sport, my husband just this weekend bought a 05 545i. I am reluctant to admit the bangle design is 'growing' on me too. Initially I hated it. this 05 545 is a blast to drive, it has active steering which enables you to take a corner at any speed and stay flat. It's incredible. You think the E39 corners.....it does, but that 545 is unreal. I'm finding it interesting noticing the differences between my 540 and this 545. one is the cornering, another is the road feel, it definently has a softer feel....still good though. also with that active steering it's really different.
I don't think you'll be wanting more speed, the 545 is plenty fast. Good luck!

·
Registered
884 Posts
just be sure you get a 545 with the SP option. that will make it more like the old m5. the SP was an option back then and there are some 545s without it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
+1 on bmwgal's comments...the 545i corners like it is on rails and I love the active steering as well as adaptive xenons that "turn into" a turn giving better illumination. Not sure if that was available on your previous M5. Seriously, this car (with sport package) corner's like a son-of-a-bytch!!!

+1 on merklebob's comments as well...since the 545i is a softer feel just make certain it has the sport package...I truly don't understand why someone would buy the larger engine and NOT get the sport package but I see that a lot actually.

BMW finally did it right when they made the comfort seats/contour seats as standard with the sport package in 2007 I think. I know some "more robust" drivers felt the sport seats were not the most comfortable in the world but I love mine!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Active Steering and Active Roll Stabilization are two different options.
I think bmwgal might be referring to ARS, Active Roll Stabilization which is "an active suspension control system designed to reduce body roll, or lean, in cornering." It is standard in the 545i 6 speed model and is included in the Sport Package on the automatic model.
Active Steering varies the steering ratio based on vehicle speed. It is also standard in the 545i 6 speed model and is included in the Sport Package on the automatic model.
That is something to consider if you are looking for a 545i with an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lonestar 5 is correct! we have a 05 545 sport I think it has everything.
You have to drive one with active steering and ARS. You can corner at any speed, absolutely incredible. Also the active steering is great I really noticed it when I drove to work and parked in the garage, and also when I have to turn into an alley (I need to go past to be sure it's clear then almost make a bit of a U before turning hard right into the alley). I have been driving my 540, and the one day I took the 545 I noticed a HUGE difference in the ease of that tight turn and also parking it in my garage. I'm trying hard not to like it more than my 540, since it's his car :(

·
Pastafarian Extraordinair
2,347 Posts
keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast keep the beast

:angel:

·
<my other German
444 Posts
Sister! I love my '05 545i sport, although not so much now that I totalled the manual and had to replace it with an auto. I drove a new M5 a couple of years ago at the performance center. Although it was spectacular, I'm not sure I could drive in such a way to utilize the difference between my 5 and the M5...and keep my drivers license for long.

OP - teach your g/f to drive a stick. I didn't learn until i was about 21...my b/f taught me where my parents had failed. I've never gone back...until now *sniff* and this isn't going to last past my next trade. You could teach her on the M right before you sell it ;-)

·
Registered
884 Posts
lonestar is right on the active steering as well. i forgot about it. when i go from my 545 of 650 x AS to the wifes 330xi her car drive like my dodge 3/4 ton diesel PU.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My M5 has sways, coilovers, etc so handling is definitely one of the things I pay more attention to. Although I think my M5 will still outhandle the 545i with sport package I do like the way it feels. Does anyone know if there are some common problems associated with 04 models? Any tips/suggestions about things to look out for on a 545i model would be appreciated as I'll be doing some car shopping this weekend. Thanks

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My M5 has sways, coilovers, etc so handling is definitely one of the things I pay more attention to. Although I think my M5 will still outhandle the 545i with sport package I do like the way it feels. Does anyone know if there are some common problems associated with 04 models? Any tips/suggestions about things to look out for on a 545i model would be appreciated as I'll be doing some car shopping this weekend. Thanks
Main thing with any model is check the history on the car. Look for odd things that you won't expect to see (ie: many trips for electrical issues). If you notice many odd things then stay away. If its been a shop whore up to that point it will be for you to. If the service history looks good then I'd say it should be solid for you.

There was some issues with auto trannys slamming when slowing down to a stop. Though that issue has been worked out on most of them.

Electrical/software issues are common with many first year models. Though most of the issues in the 545 was nothing that a software update couldn't fix. So once again most of those issues have been resolved.

As with many BMW models make sure you don't notice any vibrations through the steering wheel/shaking at various speeds and when coming to a quick stop.

Also see if you can find one with out Run Flats.

Otherwise the 545i's have been pretty solid for a first year run. You always have a few bad ones as you do with any year you buy. But checking the service history will alert you. Depending on how sporty you feel you might want to try a 545i with the SMG tranny. Some love it some hate it. :bigpimp: Auburn interior matched with a Black or Oriental Blue really makes your car stand out in a crowd.

P.S.: Get a CPO or an extended warranty no matter what. One issues can pay for the difference quite eaisly.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks skylolow for your post.
The VP of the company I work for (good friend) knows I have been looking at them and yesterday we went out to lunch and told me to drive his back to the office. He has a 545i and I have to say the car does have some balls, not that I was doubting it. The only thing I didn't really like was in "sport" mode, the steering didn't feel as connected to the road as the M5, and the throttle wasn't too smooth in the lower rpms. Overall I think I would be satisfied with the addition of a few mods :D

Today I hope to start my search while car shopping for the g/f. She just sold her G35 and is looking for a 06 civic commuter car for the both of us (we carpool) and we both agreed to having a newer 545i. I guess we'll see in a coupe weeks how things turn out. If anything happens I'll be sure to give you guys updates!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts