BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
(.)(.)
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? Should i go for it? I really want the new S550...silver or black on some 22" wheels. I saw one the other day and my jaw dropped. I'd take a hit, but damn that car is beautiful.:(

·
(.)(.)
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Malibubimmer said:
I'm going to get a new S65 at the end of the year, but I'm keeping my 650i. So, if it fits you, get it.
Are you really? Nice choice! That's a bit out of my price range though....almost $200,000:yikes:

·
Happy Trails!
2,893 Posts
If you like it go for it; I think I still prefer the 6er - I've never been much of a Merc guy. Make sure you get a really good drive in though before you do buy it.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Surprising move. I would keep the 650i if you are getting either one. Otherwise get both. You can fit more Ewoks in the S too.

Malibubimmer, why don't you get the new CL class? I suppose the CL and the S are two sides of the same coin. Might as well get the S.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
My neighbor bought one of the new Mercedes a couple months ago. He loves it except for one thing. His previous 7 series had a lot more room. The merc is about the size of a 5 series at a hefty price.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks like a pimp-mobile or an old guy's car (heh, do pimps and old men drive the same type of cars?) from the pics. Maybe it looks better in person?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Steve645 said:
What do you guys think? Should i go for it? I really want the new S550...silver or black on some 22" wheels. I saw one the other day and my jaw dropped. I'd take a hit, but damn that car is beautiful.:(
Of course, its a personal decision. But I'd say no. The 6er is much hotter. My preference for a 4 door is a Maser Quattroporte (same price range as the 550). I also like the AM DB9 and Bentley GT (different price range but used might be close enough).

Just not a fan of MB. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Steve645 said:
Beautiful car. I've seen them in person. I think the pictures make them look ugly, but in real life they are really sleek looking. I am really warming up to Merc lately. I am beginning to like their style more and more.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
650iOzBoy said:
What about the very new Aston Martin Rapide (spelling :dunno: ), you know the DB9 extended to 4 doors?
I haven't seen these in person, but I would like to. However, I did see "non-studio" pictures of the car. And frankly, the car looks too long. Somehow the proportions aren't right. Maybe that would all change if I saw the car in person.

However, the interior shots are gorgeous; probably the best looking interior I've seen in a car.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
chuck92103 said:
My neighbor bought one of the new Mercedes a couple months ago. He loves it except for one thing. His previous 7 series had a lot more room. The merc is about the size of a 5 series at a hefty price.
A bit of hyperbole, but the 760Li and the S600 are pretty close, with the Bimmer providing a little more head and shoulder room and a little less leg room. Here are the stats, from the MBZ website, comparing the two vehicles. The first figure is the Merc (Imperial measurements):

Weight 4895 4905

Height 58 58.4

length 205.1 203.9

wheelb 124.6 123.7

width 73.7 74.9

headrm 37.8 39.2

legrm 41.9 41.3

shldr 59.1 59.3

This is for the front seats only. No stats for backseat. The BMW website compares the 7ers to the 2006 S class. One place where the Bimmer beats the Mercedes quite soundly is price. The S600 is $20,000 more than the 760Li. But the Merc has about 50 more ponies and the S65 will have 150 more (but cost an additional $45K).

The S65 is going to be a monster. And a real freeway cruiser. In about December Mercedes dealers will be discounting the S65 furiously, as gas prices get up around $4.50 a gallon.

I've seen photos of the new CL class and I don't like the look at all. It's got the massive rear end of the S class, but it doesn't have the length to support the mass and it looks awkward. The new S class just looks massive and stately. I guess that's what happens when you become a geezer. Stately. :eek:

What I'm looking forward to most of all are all the gadgets, especally the new distronic (active cruise control) which drives it for you in stop and go traffic.

·
(.)(.)
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
650iOzBoy said:
What about the very new Aston Martin Rapide (spelling :dunno: ), you know the DB9 extended to 4 doors?
That's big money too. The S550 is attainable at right under 95k, i believe. The Rapide and Quattroporte that sgv likes are well into the hundreds. They're both sick rides, but out of my budget.

·
(.)(.)
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Malibubimmer said:
What I'm looking forward to most of all are all the gadgets, especally the new distronic (active cruise control) which drives it for you in stop and go traffic.
Lazy old man. What's the matter, Mal? Getting too old to depress the brake every now and then? Let me know when your bday is so i can get you "Life Alert" as a gift.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Steve645 said:
Lazy old man. What's the matter, Mal? Getting too old to depress the brake every now and then? Let me know when your bday is so i can get you "Life Alert" as a gift.
Help, I'm speeding, and I can't reach the brake.

At our next 6erfest, over a couple of foo-foo drinks, I will regale you with a Life Alert story.

PS: Birthday is in 3 weeks, just before I go to the 6er driving event. I also take cash.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts