BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Brand New 430XI.

Following Packages: Premium + M Sports +Driver Assistant Package + Tech Pack + Black Kidney Grill

MSRP: 55,275 Dealer and I negotiate it down to $49,500 (49 maybe) selling price:

Selling Price: 49,500 + Doc Fee (599) + Acquistion Fee (925)

Lease: 0 Down - 15 k / 36 months.

Residual Value: $32,075

Lease Payment including Tax & interest : $660.00

Is this a good deal?

I don't really want the tech package / kidney grill but they don't have anything other than this in stock.

Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
2017 Brand New 430XI.

Following Packages: Premium + M Sports +Driver Assistant Package + Tech Pack + Black Kidney Grill

MSRP: 55,275 Dealer and I negotiate it down to $49,500 (49 maybe) selling price:

Selling Price: 49,500 + Doc Fee (599) + Acquistion Fee (925)

Lease: 0 Down - 15 k / 36 months.

Residual Value: $32,075

Lease Payment including Tax & interest : $660.00

Is this a good deal?

I don't really want the tech package / kidney grill but they don't have anything other than this in stock.

Thanks.
It's average for a lease. Leases on the 2017 340xi are not very good. That deal is a 7.7 when I plug it into Lease Hackr ($600/month excluding tax and fees). A 10 is a good deal, anything over 10 is a excellent deal. 2016 vehicles are currently over a 10 because the residuals are higher.

.00136 and 59% for a 2017 340xi in Oct 2016

It's not a deal because it's a 2017 car and incentives are low right now. However, its fair if you really want to lease a a 2017.

Edit: Just realize you asked about a 4 series. Either way, the residual and MF should be close. This is for 3/36.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The sale price looks decent as it looks like just below invoice.

The doc fee looks high, you must be in Florida.

You need to get the money factor, if you are not getting the base mf then you should ask for that.

Are you putting any money down? Are you building the inception fees into the payment?

I think it's high, but I haven't run the numbers and if you are baking everything into the payment you are probably adding over $60/mo in extra fees.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The money factor with no security deposit is " 0.00125 "

or

Money factor after $4,900 in security deposits is 0.00087

Security deposits total of 7 is usually refundable from what I hear to lower the money factor.

I live in PA. Is the doc fee high?

The dealer said no negotiation on acquisition fee / Doc fee.

I refuse to put money down to bring the cap cost. I don't think lease is worth money down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm open to 2016 428xi coupe as well. I don't think there is much of a difference in body kit.

I def need M SPorts + Premium + Cold Package for sure.

Dealer did offer three of those package on 2017 4series for $47,500....But this would be custom order from factory.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thats a good price on an order, at least in my eyes, and it makes up for the high doc fee, especially if thats where they grab their profit. Imagine you take 2-300 out of the doc fee and put it in the sale price, does that break the deal? probably not as you are still below invoice.

I would definitely put the MSDs to lower the MF - that would put you at about 615/mo. At that point I would put about $150 down, to bring you down to $599/mo - and then your MSDs will only cost you $4200. Keep in mind im doing the math in my head so i may be off but probably pretty close. I just noticed its a 15/yr deal too so that makes more sense for the monthly payment.

·
Registered
188 Posts

or

Security deposits total of 7 is usually refundable from what I hear to lower the money factor.

I refuse to put money down to bring the cap cost. I don't think lease is worth money down.
I use this online calc, http://leasehackr.com/calculator/. It doesn't seem to be working well today, because the "Make" drop down doesn't work. If you select BMW it automatically fills in the the Acq Fee (non negotiable) and also allows you to add MSD's. If you have good credit and are getting the lowest MF, MSD's are almost always a good deal. Good thinking about the Cap Cost reduction, its not advantageous on a lease, there's not point and you risk losing it if you total the car before you get your "use" out of the lease. Youre better off sticking in your checking account and using it to pay lease each month.

Doc fee's vary by state, some have caps, some can be as much as the dealer wants and some are supposed to be "reasonable" whatever that means!

The thing that's hurting you is the lack of support from BMW on 2017's. I bet the residuals will increase once the 2016's are cleared out.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts

or

I hear this all the time. I tell them to waive it (usually through a price reduction) or I'm not buying. Last time this happened it was $500 and the dealer offered to split it. I told them no, I do not believe in paying you fees to sell a vehicle. They asked if I was willing to lose the deal over $250. To which I responded: "Are you?"

·
Registered
984 Posts
I hear this all the time. I tell them to waive it (usually through a price reduction) or I'm not buying. Last time this happened it was $500 and the dealer offered to split it. I told them no, I do not believe in paying you fees to sell a vehicle. They asked if I was willing to lose the deal over $250. To which I responded: "Are you?"
You are a hard ass, but if they still have room in the sale price then they were still making a decent profit off you.

There is a point where if you beat them down on the car sale price there may truly not be much room to absorb the doc fee. You may say there is always room, and they can take a loss on you, and make it up on the next Joe; but I like to get the sale price to the final number and deal with the fee separately. It's actually the first question I ask, if the fee is crazy I don't even bother. If they try to jack an insane doc fee after agreeing price then I give them one chance to do better. However a reasonable doc fee, say $150-$200 is fine by me if I don't have to do anything with the DMV. Just them FedEx-ing the docs to me will cost $30-40 when buying out of state.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Just to clear the acquisition fee is charged by bmwfs on a lease. Unless the dealer marks it up they don't control it. If they are "waiving" it they must've made it up somewhere else on the deal

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Just to clear the acquisition fee is charged by bmwfs on a lease. Unless the dealer marks it up they don't control it. If they are "waiving" it they must've made it up somewhere else on the deal
Em's talking about doc fee which is boosit. In my experience if you are willing to pay doc fee they are more than willing to save you equivalent $ off your lease on price.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Em's talking about doc fee which is boosit. In my experience if you are willing to pay doc fee they are more than willing to save you equivalent $ off your lease on price.
Yep- best thing Is just to ask what the doc fee is before making your offer . Just factor it in. Or say 1k over invoice including all dealer fees.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
You are a hard ass, but if they still have room in the sale price then they were still making a decent profit off you.

There is a point where if you beat them down on the car sale price there may truly not be much room to absorb the doc fee. You may say there is always room, and they can take a loss on you, and make it up on the next Joe; but I like to get the sale price to the final number and deal with the fee separately. It's actually the first question I ask, if the fee is crazy I don't even bother. If they try to jack an insane doc fee after agreeing price then I give them one chance to do better. However a reasonable doc fee, say $150-$200 is fine by me if I don't have to do anything with the DMV. Just them FedEx-ing the docs to me will cost $30-40 when buying out of state.
I don't think of it as being a hard ass. I just look at it as a money grab by the dealer (BTW, I am speaking of the Dealer Prep and Handling fee dealers here in CO charge and not specifically lease fees). IMO all this should be rolled into the final price.

Motorcycle dealers seem to be the worst. When I price out a new street bike I can expect to add another $750 - $1,000 onto the price for the assembly fee, document fee, title transfer fee, etc. It's annoying. These are the costs of doing business so build it into the price. Imagine going to the supermarket to buy peas and you had to pay an extra .10 "stock boy" fee in order to cover the cost of the guy to place them on the shelf.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My issue with doc fees is its either you pay or you don't get the car. Sounds easy to say you'll walk over a $500 doc fee until you go to the next dealer in the next town over and they have the same policy. I have 10 BMW dealerships within 40 miles of my home. None of them budge on doc fee. Same with Audi in my area.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
My issue with doc fees is its either you pay or you don't get the car. Sounds easy to say you'll walk over a $500 doc fee until you go to the next dealer in the next town over and they have the same policy. I have 10 BMW dealerships within 40 miles of my home. None of them budge on doc fee. Same with Audi in my area.
They do the same with the Dealer Prep and Handling fee. They say they have to charge it to everyone. I say that's fine but the price of the vehicle has to come down a corresponding amount. The documents reflect the Dealer Prep and Handling fee but the price of the vehicle has been reduced a corresponding amount.

There were two exceptions:

• When I purchased my X5-M the Dealer Prep and Handling fee was built into the adverstised price so I didn't even need to negotiate it away.
  • The dealer came down $4,100 immediately off their asking price (I offered $5K off their asking price) and, given the Dealer Prep and Handling fee was $179 and they made the deal super easy I paid it.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
They do the same with the Dealer Prep and Handling fee. They say they have to charge it to everyone. I say that's fine but the price of the vehicle has to come down a corresponding amount. The documents reflect the Dealer Prep and Handling fee but the price of the vehicle has been reduced a corresponding amount.

There were two exceptions:

• When I purchased my X5-M the Dealer Prep and Handling fee was built into the adverstised price so I didn't even need to negotiate it away.
  • The dealer came down $4,100 immediately off their asking price (I offered $5K off their asking price) and, given the Dealer Prep and Handling fee was $179 and they made the deal super easy I paid it.
This. Like the waiter who comps you an appetizer or bartender who gives you a quick buyback. Always easier for em to make it up as a tip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts