BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my 06 325xiT since May. Previously I had a 2003 X5. And for some reason, this new car is way hotter than the old one.

I park in the same place at work as with the other car. To get the good, corner curb protected parking spot where no one parks on my driver side, I have to face West. The interiors are the same colors (I have a thing for black leather)

It doesn't matter if I close the cover on the moonroof (which was my first thought of the cause, since the panoramic moon roof is a lot more glass) or not. Is it the angle of the windshield? Is there less air to heat in the smaller vehicle so it gets hot faster?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. The X5 was TiSilver/Black Leather, and the 325xiT is Alpine White/Black Leather.

So I don't think that's it.

The only thing that's different, between the interiors is the knob on the shift lever to get out of park in the X5 had wood, and the 325 has brushed metal. It's obvious why that's hotter, but the whole cabin temperature is what is curious to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
that's weird but I've been in a lot of black BMWs (it seems like that's all my family buys) and they always seem to get REALLY hot really easily. my 3-series is black on beige, same color combo as my mom's Rover, but the Rover doesn't seem to get nearly as hot inside when parked in the sun and the only logical explanation I can think of is because there's more area to heat up. but as for two cars that have close to the same amount of interior space? :dunno:

alas that's what MAX COOL is for though... I think that and the ambient lights are 2 of my favorite favorite features of the new 3 :D

·
Registered
598 Posts
When my car has been sitting for the better part of the day I usually have to open both the driver's door and the rear door for about a minute to let the hot air out. It's amazing how much just a minute of leaving the doors open helps. Probably goes from 135 degrees to 100 degrees in 60 seconds.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
There is more heat loss with glass. Your X5's panoramic roof actually helped cool the vehicle by dissipating the heat. I had an X3 loaner with a panoramic roof during a winter day and I could feel the heat loss aka cool draft. Warm air rises, cool air falls.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ObD said:
There is more heat loss with glass. Your X5's panoramic roof actually helped cool the vehicle by dissipating the heat. I had an X3 loaner with a panoramic roof during a winter day and I could feel the heat loss aka cool draft. Warm air rises, cool air falls.
Nope, you've got it backwards - the moonroof on the 325 is the larger one.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
suzer said:
Nope, you've got it backwards - the moonroof on the 325 is the larger one.
The panoramic roof goes from front to rear in the X3. It's alot of glass. I'm not confused but when you say panoramic ... I think big and not the current size in the 3er. Maybe the new 3 has more insulation which could explain the difference.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My car gets HOT, very hot. leaving my windows open a crack, and the roof vented dont seem to help either. I even opted for the beige interior rather than black to help with the heat, but ---- hmm... dont think it really matters. My windows are tinted too, H.O. 30%.... ive just learned to accept the heat. open the windows, hit the max button, and drive- - - its all fine in a minute or two.

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
I have an X5 and e90 as well. My e90 is black on black, so of course it gets hot. Having said that, the AC is more than ample and does a good job of cooling the car quickly. When parking in the sun, I just crack the windows a bit and tilt the sunroof. It cools even quicker then.

The X5 has a black interior, but much less of the sun can actually creep in. The vehicle is more of a box, so the glass (especially the winshield) is closer to being perpendicular to the ground than the 3 is. Therefore, not as much sun will get in, especially on the seats.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Two tips:

1) use the "vent" setting on the panaroma moonroof. With the moonroof and sunshade fully closed, push the moonroof button. The two pieces of glass should tilt and the sunshade slides open a crack in the middle.

2) Use convenience open before you get in the car to open all the windows and moonroof to let the hot air out.

If black interiors are that bad, we might have to spring $1,450 for the gray lthr next year. I'd prefer black leatherette since it saves a big bundle of cash, but if it's gonna be a pain........

·
your average JAMF
1,227 Posts
Hot?? I got yer hot right here, pal!

114 on my way home from work tonight. Thankfully we have covered parking at the office. Still, at 114 it's hot even if covered. I was scared to death my AC wasn't going to keep up in the 3, but it's been great.

Are your windows tinted? If not I'd jump on it. Here in the desest, it's an absolute must.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
KevinC said:
Hot?? I got yer hot right here, pal!

114 on my way home from work tonight. Thankfully we have covered parking at the office. Still, at 114 it's hot even if covered. I was scared to death my AC wasn't going to keep up in the 3, but it's been great.

Are your windows tinted? If not I'd jump on it. Here in the desest, it's an absolute must.
Exactly! those wimps!!!! :p

114F on the drive home. The A/C worked just fine. Cruising along on the SanTan.....

We have no covered parking.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ObD said:
The panoramic roof goes from front to rear in the X3. It's alot of glass. I'm not confused but when you say panoramic ... I think big and not the current size in the 3er. Maybe the new 3 has more insulation which could explain the difference.
The regular 3er has a regular roof. The 325xiT is the wagon - and it has the super huge, front to back glass roof. My X5 was a 2003; I bought it a half-year before the super huge roof became available for it.

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
javelina1 said:
Exactly! those wimps!!!! :p

114F on the drive home. The A/C worked just fine. Cruising along on the SanTan.....

We have no covered parking.
It's been hot (will hit 100 today, a bit humid, but not too much) here lately and the AC does just fine. Doesn't even remotely struggle to keep the car cool.

Heat doesn't really bother me though...humidity is what I hate.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
suzer said:
The regular 3er has a regular roof. The 325xiT is the wagon - and it has the super huge, front to back glass roof. My X5 was a 2003; I bought it a half-year before the super huge roof became available for it.
Ah, the glass is transferring more sunlight/heat to the car ... but don't worry, you'll be colder in winter per my loaner X3 experience. Next time skip the panoramic roof. :)

One solution to the heat is a car cover or place some reflective material between the roof glass and the shade.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
michael chase said:
that's weird but I've been in a lot of black BMWs (it seems like that's all my family buys) and they always seem to get REALLY hot really easily. my 3-series is black on beige, same color combo as my mom's Rover, but the Rover doesn't seem to get nearly as hot inside when parked in the sun and the only logical explanation I can think of is because there's more area to heat up. but as for two cars that have close to the same amount of interior space? :dunno:

alas that's what MAX COOL is for though... I think that and the ambient lights are 2 of my favorite favorite features of the new 3 :D
Great color Combo!!! :thumbup: I have this on my 5 aswell. My old black on black e36 3er was insanly hot in the socal heat.

-e60lover :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AzNMpower32 said:
use the "vent" setting on the panaroma moonroof. With the moonroof and sunshade fully closed, push the moonroof button. The two pieces of glass should tilt and the sunshade slides open a crack in the middle.
Thanks. I forgot about this option, and it has been good this weekend. I've also bought one of those reflective sunshades, and the combo has helped. It's 96 today, with much humidity, and the inside of the car is still way hot, but much more like the the old X5.

Thankfully, it really doesn't matter - the air conditioning is super.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts