BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Come Back Soon
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a short drive down to Mesquite. It was 86 miles from my office to my destination. There were a few open stretches with no cars on the road and I found myself letting the car run. First time I got up to 138 mph and backed off, it was so easy. A second time I had just passed a car and found another opening. This time I pushed it a little before backing off at 144 mph. I easily could have gone faster as the car was still pulling away, but again, I let off. And I have an old 2004 645Ci, non-sport to boot! It makes me wonder just how fast the M6 would get up to 155 before the limiter kicks in. What a great car!

·
Come Back Soon
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sport mode on and put it in manual. I know it got into M5, but I am not sure about M6 because at that point I was just looking at the speedometer and the road.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Tio said:
Sport mode on and put it in manual. I know it got into M5, but I am not sure about M6 because at that point I was just looking at the speedometer and the road.
At that point I would be looking in my rear view window. And praying.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
WTF? We've seen pics of a 6er speedo at 155 and now Tio at 144 mph, and no big deal. GBelton earned a reputation and was :flame: when he told us of his 141 mph run on the NJT. Are we developing a need for speed?

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
It Must Be NJ...

Cause people even go as far as calling the State Police on their own. Let's say this... We have moles lurking in the 6er forum.:tsk:

On another note. Tio, how did it feel (the car/human sensory) when you reach your speed maximum limit?

·
Come Back Soon
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car felt great and could easily got up to 155 mph, I just felt it was time to back off. There was a little adrenalin flowing when I let up. Prior to this I had never gone over 130 mph. But after going that fast, it felt like going 120 mph was nothing. In comparison, going 95 mph in our Toyota Sequoia feels like it is going really fast and 100 mph starts to get uncomfortable. Never felt that way in the 6, it really handles well at those speeds. But I don't see pushing over 140 mph again.

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Same Here

Agreed.:drive:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Tio: Was the top up or down? Either way wondering if top was making nosie (if up), how loud was the noise (top up or down).

·
Come Back Soon
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The top was up, air was on (it was 104 degrees out there) and I was surprised how quiet it was. I had expected it to be much louder.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Tio said:
The top was up, air was on (it was 104 degrees out there) and I was surprised how quiet it was. I had expected it to be much louder.
I had mine up to about 140 MPH on a back country road with about 3 miles of visibility coming down a small hill. My only fear was some animal running out in front of me. The car was quiet and felt like I was doing 80 MPH. The engine was so quiet and working effortlessly. I am sure if they remove the limiter the car should come close to 200 MPH.

The fun part was gunning the throttle at about 60 MPH. It was like going into warp drive. I did not time it but the car seemed to hit 140 MPH rather quickly. :drive:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Tio said:
The car felt great and could easily got up to 155 mph, I just felt it was time to back off. There was a little adrenalin flowing when I let up. Prior to this I had never gone over 130 mph. But after going that fast, it felt like going 120 mph was nothing. In comparison, going 95 mph in our Toyota Sequoia feels like it is going really fast and 100 mph starts to get uncomfortable. Never felt that way in the 6, it really handles well at those speeds. But I don't see pushing over 140 mph again.
Try going over 170 on a Superbike. :thumbup:

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
jostalli said:
Uh, me? No, sir I'm not BS'ing. How is that so hard to believe? Am I the only obnoxiously aggressive driver around here?
Come to the 6erfest and you can prove yourself. We will give you a plaque and post a copy of the presentation. It is the least your fellow, L.A. County Knights can do.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
jostalli said:
Uh, me? I only drive 65mph max
might want to consider deleting your post so it does not come back to you in a future lawsuit.:dunno:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Gman is talking about moles on the board. BruceWayne is advising me to delete my posts to prevent lawsuits... Why would I go to the 6erfest? So I can get nabbed at a speed trap?

·
Registered
21 Posts
First time I got up to 138 mph and backed off, it was so easy. A second time I had just passed a car and found another opening. This time I pushed it a little before backing off at 144 mph. I easily could have gone faster as the car was still pulling away, but again, I let off. And I have an old 2004 645Ci, non-sport to boot! It makes me wonder just how fast the M6 would get up to 155 before the limiter kicks in. What a great car!
Per C&D the M6 gets to max of 162 in just under 25". From 140 to 160 is under 7".

On the hwy it will accelerate from 75 to 120 with NO input from the (this) driver:) , IT JUST WANTS TO GO FAST!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts