BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Ashe said:
And while it IS indeed a machine (as cars generally are), it is also a particularly expensive one that happens to hold ZERO appeal to me as it cannot be had with a manual transmission.

I could have unlimited funds and I still doubt I'd buy one. A vehicle like that is not intended to be practical but rather fun. What fun is driving a slushie?

No stick, no sale.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: This is a machine

TD said:


And while it IS indeed a machine (as cars generally are), it is also a particularly expensive one that happens to hold ZERO appeal to me as it cannot be had with a manual transmission.

I could have unlimited funds and I still doubt I'd buy one. A vehicle like that is not intended to be practical but rather fun. What fun is driving a slushie?

No stick, no sale.
I agree but its soooo nice :)
 
G

·
Re: Re: Re: This is a machine

Ashe said:


I agree but its soooo nice :)
Actually, that makes no sense to me. IMO, the car is an oxymoron appealing to wealthy old guys who want a "performance" image but couldn't care less about actual performance. A sort of gold chains, mid-life crisis, date the young bimbo sort of thing.

It's a fashion accessory not a performance car. As someone who is not into image BS, I find it has ZERO appeal.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: This is a machine

TD said:


Actually, that makes no sense to me. IMO, the car is an oxymoron appealing to wealthy old guys who want a "performance" image but couldn't care less about actual performance. A sort of gold chains, mid-life crisis, date the young bimbo sort of thing.

It's a fashion accessory not a performance car. As someone who is not into image BS, I find it has ZERO appeal.
What I was trying to say that its very stunning visualy... it stands out... I agree about all you said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,790 Posts
Now THAT is a gorgeous car!! And I love that drop top....

I share TD's comment - all those ponies, and no reins...for fun factor, why not give it something like SMG??

I hope the SLR isn't an auto...that would be criminal.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
geomax said:
Now THAT is a gorgeous car!! And I love that drop top....

I share TD's comment - all those ponies, and no reins...for fun factor, why not give it something like SMG??

I hope the SLR isn't an auto...that would be criminal.
I think the Caddy is supposed to be use a 6 speed SMG-like transmission...
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: This is a machine

TD said:


Actually, that makes no sense to me. IMO, the car is an oxymoron appealing to wealthy old guys who want a "performance" image but couldn't care less about actual performance. A sort of gold chains, mid-life crisis, date the young bimbo sort of thing.
Hey now let's not make fun of Mike and his lifestyle choices today:rolleyes: The gold really makes him look cool :bigpimp:
 

·
Brilliant!
Joined
·
9,932 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is a machine

PM 325xiT said:

Hey now let's not make fun of Mike and his lifestyle choices today:rolleyes: The gold really makes him look cool :bigpimp:
Hey now! I don't own a single gold chain there Amish boy :mad: :mad:

Not to mention that I drive a stick there slushie driver :mad:

Aren't you supposed to be in Philly spreading bird seed on alee's car? :dunno:
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is a machine

Mike 325xi said:

Hey now! I don't own a single gold chain there Amish boy :mad: :mad:

Not to mention that I drive a stick there slushie driver :mad:

Aren't you supposed to be in Philly spreading bird seed on alee's car? :dunno:
Yea we believe you Mike:tsk: I never said I wasn't in the same category, but for the record it's Mennonite:)

On lap top and Al took SEPTA today:rolleyes: Hope to be on the road by 1:00 so I can detour via Wayne to get rid of my cargo:bigpimp:
 

·
Brilliant!
Joined
·
9,932 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is a machine

PM 325xiT said:


Yea we believe you Mike:tsk: I never said I wasn't in the same category, but for the record it's Mennonite:)

On lap top and Al took SEPTA today:rolleyes: Hope to be on the road by 1:00 so I can detour via Wayne to get rid of my cargo:bigpimp:
I seriously doubt he took SEPTA today...before you leave go check the parking lot...his new camera arrived so I know he will be in the parking lot taking pics :thumb:
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Much as I am a proponent of manual transmissions, there are reasons for a high performance vehicle other than simply a desire to go fast.
My mother, who drives a S55, for example, refused to buy a S-Class for quite some time because they made her car sick. The suspension of the AMG models keeps her from getting ill and has the added bonus of giving her a fair amount of fun if she should so desire. She also has a lot of difficulty driving stick because of her height. Even with the steering wheel all the way forward, and her seat pulled to the minimum distance from the airbag, she still can't reach fifth gear, and has a fair amount of trouble with third in my car. I refuse to drive a car with a slushbox, but I don't begrudge her hers.
I've followed the new SL, and it looked awfully floaty to me, although it's always possible that the owner turned ABC off for some stupid reason. It would certainly be nice to get the AMG suspension in the regular models. The SL55 is simply massive overkill, but it is still a sweet car for a substantial audience.
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is a machine

Mike 325xi said:

I seriously doubt he took SEPTA today...before you leave go check the parking lot...his new camera arrived so I know he will be in the parking lot taking pics :thumb:
Actually I think I saw him standing outside his building pacing back and forth while staring at his watch:eeps: The poor Fed Ex guy won't know what hit him:confused:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top