BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was towing my trailer yesterday (the time stamp in incorrect) and I met this Mad Max.

Can anybody read the number plate? I would be happy to report him to CHP, even though I do not know, if they would do anything.

https://youtu.be/XA7DyO_Ozog

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,513 Posts
I haven't yet had a chance to play with the X5 on California SR-17 San Jose - Santa Cruz highway but will soon hopefully.

We are driving out to Yosemite NP in September with our trikes. We were there last September to bicycle rent-a-bikes but they were such clunkers that I wouldn't let my 5' 80 y.o. wife ride one. (Do NOT miss Free Solo and Dawn Wall movies!)

Then we will drive up the state visiting national parks and state parks in Oregon, Washington, and finishing at Theodore Roosevelt NP at Medora, ND - a favorite.

I learned a lot about sport driving SR-17 in the Sixties, also SR-9.

2.5 miles from the junction of SR-35 Skyline Road and SR-9 is Castle Rock SP where I played ten years before PG&E sold it to the state. My dad had a key to the property in the Fifties.

And there is Bear Creek Road (where I had a friend praying out loud ...

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Seems like he / she hit the brakes kinda hard after that maneuver. Either the driver pooped his / her pants or the SO was in the passenger seat losing his / her $h!t. Either way, excrement involved.

Not the first time I see this move being pulled and not just in California Some of the ballsiest and least least courteous drivers I've seen are in Michigan at about this time of year. I have a theory that not seeing the sun or green grass or leaves on trees, and having to dress in layers, and scrape ice, and freeze a$$ in a cold leather seat for months at a time makes them angry. We haven't seen much of the sun in NorCal for weeks now. Maybe it was a case of Response to Michigan Winter Weather Driver Syndrome.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Seems like he / she hit the brakes kinda hard after that maneuver. Either the driver pooped his / her pants or the SO was in the passenger seat losing his / her $h!t. Either way, excrement involved.

Not the first time I see this move being pulled and not just in California Some of the ballsiest and least least courteous drivers I've seen are in Michigan at about this time of year. I have a theory that not seeing the sun or green grass or leaves on trees, and having to dress in layers, and scrape ice, and freeze a$$ in a cold leather seat for months at a time makes them angry. We haven't seen much of the sun in NorCal for weeks now. Maybe it was a case of Response to Michigan Winter Weather Driver Syndrome.
Michigan is a tale of two extremes... A minority of folks drive as if they're scared to death about clear semi-wet pavement as if it's black ice lubed with KY jelly, where the other minority DGAF & plows through anything & everything, disregarding life & limb in the process... Guess it's like politics, where one extreme causes a reciprocal counter reaction / passive aggressiveness in the other opposite extreme, while the middle stays the same & thinks both extremes are equally stupid, annoying, & detrimental to society...

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Michigan is a tale of two extremes... A minority of folks drive as if they're scared to death about clear semi-wet pavement as if it's black ice lubed with KY jelly, where the other minority DGAF & plows through anything & everything, disregarding life & limb in the process... Guess it's like politics, where one extreme causes a reciprocal counter reaction / passive aggressiveness in the other opposite extreme, while the middle stays the same & thinks both extremes are equally stupid, annoying, & detrimental to society...
My field of operation in MI in the last 20 or so years has been DTW to Ann Arbor (office) to Farmington Hills (brother's house) to Grosse Point Woods (Bro's ex wife / Nephew's house) to Royal Oak and downtown Detroit (old hangouts). Never seen so many people not let others merge. 696 between 275 and Telegraph is a race track (that part I like) but the complete douche baginess when someone has a turn signal and is trying to merge on the highway or change lanes is nothing like how people drive in NorCal.

FredoinSF turning into FredoinMI: "Hold my Starbucks, it's a rental and I have AmEx Platinum coverage."

·
Registered
187 Posts
My field of operation in MI in the last 20 or so years has been DTW to Ann Arbor (office) to Farmington Hills (brother's house) to Grosse Point Woods (Bro's ex wife / Nephew's house) to Royal Oak and downtown Detroit (old hangouts). Never seen so many people not let others merge. 696 between 275 and Telegraph is a race track (that part I like) but the complete douche baginess when someone has a turn signal and is trying to merge on the highway or change lanes is nothing like how people drive in NorCal.

FredoinSF turning into FredoinMI: "Hold my Starbucks, it's a rental and I have AmEx Platinum coverage."
It's a bit less sociopathic in West Michigan than on the east side of the state, that's for sure... The small minded passive aggressive driver is common though; however, at least on the west side of the state, you can often single out these folks pretty quick w/ their beat up domestic branded car that's hazardous to drive & should have been crushed 50K miles ago... It's pretty easy to zoom by & get away from these folks as well.

However, I do agree that the average driver in Michigan is a bad driver (especially in W. MI); whether or not they're intending to be is one up for debate, as I suspect a slightly low IQ in the general population, as well as an underlying sense of unfulfilled entitlement (as evidenced by just about every employer being unable to find competent hires for high-paying open positions, for years on end..)...

One thing I always found amusing when driving thru Chicago is how packed everyone is w/ Illinois plates, but everyone leaves a rather large bubble / buffer zone around anyone with a Michigan plate ;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
The Michigan driver who tried to kill me on US 23 in 2001 musta moved to California. For future reference, a 24 foot U-Haul loaded with furniture and towing a trailered Pontiac sedan does not accelerate, brake, or swerve out of your way.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
around 8 months late... you would need something faster than 3 series to be in time...

You got me. I was late for the Garlic Festival.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,837 Posts
Eh, this doesnt rise to the 'report them' level.

(Im trying to thinks of a punch line involving lawyers in shark infested waters, sailboat capsized...sharks dont attack the lawyers..WHY????...'professional courtesy')

I drive WAY too fast. Its why I dont have vanity plates. I try not to impact other drivers, with the exception that i will pass with a 60 mile speed differential. This guy misjudged his closing speed, his 'opening' was closed and he forced it. Bad call. Hope he learned a lesson.

(Got pulled over years ago on my favorite local road- CHP said 'this car has been reported'. No ticket. Got 3 tickets over the next 14 years on that road. Two different cars. Two of them the same officer, 3 years apart. He and I had a laugh after I went to court on the second one. I reminded him I was in that _____ _________ ____ with ____take out on the seat. He remembered that stop w the __food__. Nice guy. Two other close calls on the same stretch- one I ran (!! crazy, I know) another I just ducked behind traffic and escaped when some idiot triumphantly blasted past me only to get nabbed.)

So yeah, hard for me to report anyone.

;)

(A bit more loose gravel...a bit less shoulder.....a dip or crest there...he could have been a star in YOUR own youtube crash video!)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got it, ard. I drive also fairly fast (not at the moment, as I am on 18 months traffic school probation and not with the trailer), but when I am doing that I keep the distance from others. That guy got into my comfort zone, in particular, given that I had 7,000 lbs in the back. I am not planing to spend too much time on this as I cannot read the plates. If I was able to, I would report.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,837 Posts
Yup, like I said, he was almost a youtube star. Hope he realized that.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have done the same a few times. Sometimes with trailers who test my patients. Most times when the lane is ending

:dunno::dunno:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts