BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m new here so please take it easy on me lol. I’m going to try to make this short and sweet but hopefully someone can actually help me out.

i have a 2001 e46 manual sedan and I have this horrible vibration. I literally changed everything guibo(flex desk), ccb, rear axles, motor mounts, transmission mounts (twice! Today being the second time! Swap out new OEM trans mounts for poly), differential bushing, subframe bushing reinforced subframe (even tho I had zero cracking) everything been changed and still vibrates.

the vibration happens when I press the throttle around 4/5k rpm Neutral or under load. I also have a video hopefully I can post here on the forum.

my guess now is it has to be the transmission itself. What do you guys think please help. Widebody kit coming soon and it sucks to have a car this freaking clean but can’t fully enjoy the ride the way I will love too.:cautious:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys, I’m new here so please take it easy on me lol. I’m going to try to make this short and sweet but hopefully someone can actually help me out.

i have a 2001 e46 manual sedan and I have this horrible vibration. I literally changed everything guibo(flex desk), ccb, rear axles, motor mounts, transmission mounts (twice! Today being the second time! Swap out new OEM trans mounts for poly), differential bushing, subframe bushing reinforced subframe (even tho I had zero cracking) everything been changed and still vibrates.

the vibration happens when I press the throttle around 4/5k rpm Neutral or under load. I also have a video hopefully I can post here on the forum.

my guess now is it has to be the transmission itself. What do you guys think please help. Widebody kit coming soon and it sucks to have a car this freaking clean but can’t fully enjoy the ride the way I will love too.:cautious:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
That was a unnecessarily long video. I skipped to look for the vibration symptom but didn't find it. Please post a shorter vid and go directly to the symptom. With that said, base on your description of the symptom, some spinning thing is loose or unbalanced. Flywheel? Timing chain?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was a unnecessarily long video. I skipped to look for the vibration symptom but didn't find it. Please post a shorter vid and go directly to the symptom. With that said, base on your description of the symptom, some spinning thing is loose or unbalanced. Flywheel? Timing chain?
maybe so lol I actually posted the video on YouTube first so that’s the reason for the Lengthy vid but I think you might be on to something. I haven’t replaced the flywheel yet and the shaking, rattling heavy vibration happens when I rev the car in neutral pass 3k rpm and also when I’m driving (both Acceleration and Deceleration) so yeah, I think you might be right. I don’t think it’s the timing chain due to the engine is really quite.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Examine the driveshaft closely with a flashlight, see if there`s any evidence of a missing balancing weight.

·
ROLL TIDE!
24,034 Posts
Examine the driveshaft closely with a flashlight, see if there`s any evidence of a missing balancing weight.
This. Or maybe the CV joint on the diff side of the driveshaft (if 330). Otherwise it might be flywheel or clutch or trans related.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input, I actually purchased a new driveshaft and made sure the balancing weights was indeed attached....in fact, my Original driveshaft was completely fine as well because they look and felt identical (weights in the same place with absolutely no play) I’m going to check out the clutch and flywheel because after everything I’ve done to this car it has to be the flywheel, pilot bearing or something in that nature.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This. Or maybe the CV joint on the diff side of the driveshaft (if 330). Otherwise it might be flywheel or clutch or trans related.
I agree with you. Vibration happens in Neutral when I Rev the engine around 3.5/4K rpm. When the car is not in gear (neutral) the driveshaft doesn’t move and there’s vibration but when I stop Revving in neutral the vibration is completely gone. So with that being said I think you’re right! it has to be flywheel or transmission related.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:

so after pulling off the transmission believe it or not the pilot bearing was completely out of the crank 😬 how that happened? I have no idea but it was literally out smh (wish I took pictures). That’s definitely was my Horrible vibration and wanna say thanks for everyone help! I just gonna do the whole clutch and flywheel along with new pilot bearing, Throwout bearing and pin.

thanks again for all the good input and advice! Finally gonna enjoy my e46 again 😁💪🏽

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.