BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving a rental Kia Spectra this week on travel to DC area. I specified "economy" this time to save the Company a little money. I got in to find it is virtually new, with less than 300 miles on it.

Actually, it's not bad, not bad at all. It is nicely equipped and fit and finish are pretty good. It has a fairly robust (if a little noisy) 4 cyl engine, and a 4 speed autobox. It tracks straight and true, with little drama. The ride is adequate; and fairly controlled.

In driving away from the airport, I don't think the seats are very good, stiff and lacking in side support and under cushioning on the bottoms.

Not a bad little car. Whether it would feel as tight and noise free after 5 years of use, I'm not so sure.

We'll see what I feel like about it at the end of the week. :D

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
you know I still can't believe anyone uses the "rental" version to judge any car

the "rental" version of most anything below the high cost "president" level rental car is the cheapest conglomeration of parts they can put together for the lowest possible price, they're almost always total crap compared to what you buy at the dealership

I would never ever consider buying a former rental car regardless of price

·
Banned
14,951 Posts
i got one of those sideways all the way down a local parking structure in the middle of the night...hahaha ftw fwd

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
you know I still can't believe anyone uses the "rental" version to judge any car

the "rental" version of most anything below the high cost "president" level rental car is the cheapest conglomeration of parts they can put together for the lowest possible price, they're almost always total crap compared to what you buy at the dealership

I would never ever consider buying a former rental car regardless of price
So, wouldn't it mean that if the low cost rental feels pretty good for what it is, wouldn't the better model from the dealership be even better?:confused:

·
Registered
328 Posts
So, wouldn't it mean that if the low cost rental feels pretty good for what it is, wouldn't the better model from the dealership be even better?:confused:
:thumbup:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Driving a rental Kia Spectra this week on travel to DC area. I specified "economy" this time to save the Company a little money. I got in to find it is virtually new, with less than 300 miles on it.

Actually, it's not bad, not bad at all. It is nicely equipped and fit and finish are pretty good. It has a fairly robust (if a little noisy) 4 cyl engine, and a 4 speed autobox. It tracks straight and true, with little drama. The ride is adequate; and fairly controlled.

In driving away from the airport, I don't think the seats are very good, stiff and lacking in side support and under cushioning on the bottoms.

Not a bad little car. Whether it would feel as tight and noise free after 5 years of use, I'm not so sure.

We'll see what I feel like about it at the end of the week. :D
What the heck you be smokin, man?

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Cars are getting pretty good thesedays, at least as "transportation appliances". The only company that consistently fails even this simple test is anything from Chrysler.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Things have come a long way since the last time I asked for "economy" and got a Geo Metro. First car I was afraid to exceed 65mph in (going down hill of course).

Most cars sold in this country today are acceptable transportation appliances. I haven't driven anything new that was really bad in a long time. I wouldn't want to drive a Cobalt every day, but it had no glaring faults that those not used to BMWs would mind.

·
Analyst + Therapist = ...
8,102 Posts
I drove a Mazda 3, 5 speed

I was amazed at the suspension on a 15k car

·
meroglot
12,906 Posts
I had one of those when my car was in the body shop. Then they gave me a Dodge Avenger. After a day or two in that thing, I wanted the KIA back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts