BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda Owners Force Free Transmission Fix

Ah, the power of peaceful protest.

Honda and Acura owners recently saw their hard work pay off when Honda issued a technical service bulletin for the vehicle. The issue? Owners of certain vehicles claimed the car had a transmission problem involving the third gear randomly popping into neutral and grinding incessantly.

Previously, Honda claimed to know nothing of the problem and refused to issue a recall. A TSB is short of a recall, but owners can still get the problem fixed free of charge by bringing their vehicle into a dealership. You can see the TSB for the Honda Civic and Accord here, and the TSB for the Acura here. For a full list of models affected, go to the jump.

2003-07 Honda Accord V-6 with M/T
2008 Accord V-6 coupe with M/T
2006-08 Civic Si coupe
2007-08 Civic Si sedan
2003 Acura 3.2CL with M/T
2002-06 Acura RSX with six-speed
2004-08 Acura TL with M/T
Protesting Honda Civic SI Get Transmission TSB (The Consumerist)

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
No surprise. Honda has historically been very generous when it comes to warranty and SIB issues. I've heard lots of cases where an entire gearbox or part was replaced as a goodwill gesture, even 1000mi after the warranty had expired.

Honda doesn't have great automatic gearboxes either, though. In a sense, Honda is like BMW in that a manual allows the driver full enjoyment of the vehicle. The AT in our '07 Civic EX was absolute rubbish, and sucked all the life out of the (not-quite-so torquey) engine.

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Naww--I worked for Clear Channel. They are worse, Lol.

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
All of this trouble about software and transmissions reminds me of what a friend once told me when his fancy TV went on the blink. "What we need is a hydraulic television. Then we could see what was leaking and fix the $%^&* thing."

Cheers

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
One of the issues I run into with code developers and operational engineers is that they work in compartmentalized worlds.

The code developers work in a theoretical capacity, while the operational engineers are looking at them saying, "That's great on paper, but it doesnt work in real life".

Then comes the chore of getting them to understand what real life is, Lol.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
One of the issues I run into with code developers and operational engineers is that they work in compartmentalized worlds.

The code developers work in a theoretical capacity, while the operational engineers are looking at them saying, "That's great on paper, but it doesnt work in real life".

Then comes the chore of getting them to understand what real life is, Lol.
That's just like the health and safety people in the US. They seem to live in a parallel universe of sorts, and require warning labels for everything. Hence, the ugly sunvisor and centre dash (and when brand new, glovebox insert) in bright yellow that say that if we operate the vehicle, we will be killed or seriously injured.

My fav example is the Dodge Viper. The sunvisor says "blah blah blah airbag will kill you.......The Backseat is the safest place for childen". There's a label that also says "There may be mercury-added devices installed by the manufacturer present in the following items: 1. Rear seat entertainment display" :rofl:

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
That's just like the health and safety people in the US. They seem to live in a parallel universe of sorts, and require warning labels for everything. Hence, the ugly sunvisor and centre dash (and when brand new, glovebox insert) in bright yellow that say that if we operate the vehicle, we will be killed or seriously injured.

My fav example is the Dodge Viper. The sunvisor says "blah blah blah airbag will kill you.......The Backseat is the safest place for childen". There's a label that also says "There may be mercury-added devices installed by the manufacturer present in the following items: 1. Rear seat entertainment display" :rofl:
Not the Health and Safety people, its all the $%^&* lawyers who sue over the failure of people to use applied common sense and do something stupid and then expect to make somebody pay for their ridiculous activity.:mad:

A prime example is a coffee cup from Mickey D's warning that the coffee is hot and can hurt you if you spill it in your lap as a result of a suit that cost Mickey D's mega bucks when some fool spilled it in her lap while attempting to drive her car.

Cheers

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
I did a quick Google. It is for the Manual transmission.

From the TSB.

Honda TSB 08-020

SYMPTOM
The 6-speed manual transmission grinds when shifting
into 3rd gear, pops out of 3rd gear, or is hard to shift
into 3rd gear.
NOTE: These symptoms can be intermittent and
sometimes more noticeable in colder climates.

PROBABLE CAUSE
The transmission has a faulty 3rd gear synchronizer or
3-4 shift sleeve.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the 3rd gear set.
VEHICLES AFFECTED
2003***8211;07 Accord V6 with M/T: ALL
2008 Accord V6 with M/T 2-Door:
From VIN 1HGCS218.8A000001
thru 1HGCS218.8A003478
2006***8211;07 Civic Si 2-Door: ALL
2008 Civic Si 2-Door:
From VIN 2HGFG215.8H700001
thru 2HGFG215.8H701973
2007 Civic Si 4-Door: ALL
2008 Civic Si 4-Door:
From VIN 2HGFA555.8H700001
thru 2HGFA555.8H702465
In 2007 Honda issued 3 safety related recalls for the Civic. One is for the brakes. To be fair one is only for the CNG power Civic.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Good for Honda.

They goodwilled our 2000 Honda Ody transmission gratis when it went south and threw a check light. We paid the labor, got a new one free iirc.

Van had 124K on it. :wow: :thumbup:

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
One of my best friends regularly drives his parents' 2002 Acura TL-type S. Their vehicle was affected by the gearbox recall years ago and they're on their second gearbox. He's rattled by the checkered history of Honda ATs though, and he says they don't intend to keep the TL forever.

He likes our BMW auto gearboxes though. He's driven both our 325i and my X3 and is impressed by the fluidity and balance. To be fair, he's only driven my X3 in a parking lot where I allowed him to test the xDrive handling, but he says it's very responsive compared to his TL.

(Both of us can go on for weeks talking about automatic gearboxes............:angel:)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Usually manual boxes are more reliable, but surprised that Honda failed in that category too. (Its V6 auto boxes are known for the problems.) I think Honda develops its own gearboxes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts