BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a 530 for my wife. I have a 328. Just curious if the new engine in the 2006 is that much better. I like the prices of the '04 & '05. Also, I know the software was updated in the idrive for the '06 as well. Bottom line, is there anyone out there experiencing big problems with their older E60 (04-05)?

Thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
The '06 has 30 more horsepower that the '04-'05. And the '08 adds another 45 on top of that. I would not even consider the '05, but that is just me.

·
Registered
831 Posts
My understanding is that folks are generally quite happy with their 04-05s. Reliability wise, Consumer Reports indicates that they are fine, even the 04s, which is somewhat surprising since 04 was the first year of production for the e60.

There will likely be a difficulty in hooking up an iPod to an 04-05 (not sure if BMW offers an interface for those years), so if that's important to you, recommend doing more research.

I would have seriously consider getting a CPO'd 04-05, but I wanted an xi (which were not offered until 06). Looks like you live in CO. Have you considered an xi?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My understanding is that folks are generally quite happy with their 04-05s. Reliability wise, Consumer Reports indicates that they are fine, even the 04s, which is somewhat surprising since 04 was the first year of production for the e60.

There will likely be a difficulty in hooking up an iPod to an 04-05 (not sure if BMW offers an interface for those years), so if that's important to you, recommend doing more research.

I would have seriously consider getting a CPO'd 04-05, but I wanted an xi (which were not offered until 06). Looks like you live in CO. Have you considered an xi?
Yea the fact that the 06 is the first year of the xi is one of the BIG benefits of the '06 to me for sure. I didn't know about the ipod issue. Although, couldn't I put a DICE converter in it?

I have seen the reviews in publications like consumer reports too but, I have found more value in the opinions of owners on the E46 forum that I use so I thought the E60 guys/gals would be equally as valuable.

Thank you for your opinion.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i have a 05 525i CPO and dont have many complaints. i got it in Feb and have had it in for minor problems. the only pain in the butt ive had is a squeaky steering wheel that they havent been able to fix. four times its been to the dealer. only real problem so far. fingers crossed. ;)

·
Registered
633 Posts

I had an Jan '04 build 545 and never any issues. As for the iPod, BMW does offer the adapter which replaces the 6-disc changer in the glove box. There have been discussion about the quality of the iPod audio with some finding it inferior. For me it was a question of quantity while maybe giving up a little quality.

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
I think that restriction only applies to some early build '04 models, but I'm not an expert on the subject.

·
Registered
633 Posts
And just to clarify, I did have the iPod adapter on my '04 545. Worked well though there are some restrictions on the number of songs or playlists the adapter can handle though I can't recall the exact numbers. If you have a 80 Gb iPod with 2,500 songs you'll run into the limitations of the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had an Jan '04 build 545 and never any issues. As for the iPod, BMW does offer the adapter which replaces the 6-disc changer in the glove box. There have been discussion about the quality of the iPod audio with some finding it inferior. For me it was a question of quantity while maybe giving up a little quality.
Ya see, that's why I buy BMW's (I have had three 3-series) they just know how to build them right! I know there are issues here and there but you could say that for any import or domestic car. I did read a rumor that the early model E60's had a structural integrity issue with respect to the doors. Apparently, the door hinge was not strong enough thus leading to persistent "squeaking" and ultimately failure. I have only read this from one person though.

Who has the highest millage 04-05 E60 out there and what, if any, are your MTX issues?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Wow, I've never heard the door hinge story before, that's a good one! I in fact did have squeaking door seals, a well know issue. BMW replaced the rubber seals and the problem was solved, for the most part. The issue was, and still is on my 2008 car, wa getting on the seals where they make contact with the painted body. I make a special effort after waxing and it's not an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts