Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I couldn't afford an M in the Z or any other model, but I have to say for those of us who have the Z3 plain Jane, our instrument clusters are looking pretty sad. Would be nice if BMW had installed a numeric water temp gauge instead of "blue at the low end, and red at the high end". I'm guessing, (and don't pile on me) that the middle of our temp gauge is about 205-210 F. So wondering if it is possible to install a SW gauge with degrees and still keep the OEM gauge for comparison. If doable, how difficult for a shade tree mechanic?? :bustingup

·
The Arkleyologist
588 Posts
Probably not the exact answer you are looking for, but for an investment of less than $20 total, an elm327 device that plugs into your obd receptacle and a "torqueII" app for your android or apple device will allow you to monitor actual operating temps, and a multitude of other engine functions.

Attachments

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,135 Posts
... Would be nice if BMW had installed a numeric water temp gauge instead of "blue at the low end, and red at the high end". I'm guessing, (and don't pile on me) that the middle of our temp gauge is about 205-210 F. So wondering if it is possible to install a SW gauge with degrees and still keep the OEM gauge for comparison...
The needle stays fixed in the middle from 165ºF to the beginning of overheating around 225ºF. A good thermostat will keep it around 206ºF. A digital gauge plugged into the OBD port on the console will show temperature and many other things.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zeeboy: I think you started a thread on the device with android, awhile back yes?
vintage42 where did you find that digital gauge, and how does it compare to analog gauges? Just being old school I guess!

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,135 Posts
... vintage42 where did you find that digital gauge, and how does it compare to analog gauges? Just being old school I guess!
My digital gauge is old school. I have used them since 2006 in three of my cars. They are semi-permanent dash or console mounted boxes that plug with a cable into the OBD port.
https://www.scangauge.com
There are various new school digital gauges that are apps for your smart phone. They use a bluetooth adapter to send from the OBD port to your phone.
One one hand, no cable. On the other, you have to mount and connect your phone every time you get in the car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did find a water temp gauge on Amazon that hooked up to the OBD11 port, and reads it directly to the gauge so no app to use on your android device. Downside is that it got mixed to poor reviews...........sooo still looking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Where did you get that rubber cradle? I've been looking for a easy mount for my phone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts