BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a rainy, slippery, cold day yesterday at the Boston Chapter's event. I was staged next to this guy, and just had to take a pic with my crappy phonecam.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'm guessing he modded the cover right off. Poor bastard. Dig the plate though :thumbup:

·
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ljh824 said:
I'm guessing he modded the cover right off. Poor bastard. Dig the plate though :thumbup:
Yep, and took the windshield off too. It was raining hard enough that I have no idea, that even with a full-faced helmet, how he made his way around the course.

·
10,856 Posts
Ah yes, a Modified Miata.

Anyone still have a picture of Bob Hausman's half-a-miata?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Oh yeah. Didn't notice the non-windshield before. Man, he must get tons of bugs in his teeth.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's not different than racing an open wheel car in the rain. You just get wet. I actually prefer open top cars in the rain...you feel more a part of the elements instead of hidden behind a (usually fogged and unclear) windshield.

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
what kind of idiot would be out autocrossing in that weather ever with a top? :dunno: :eek: :eeps:

I keep asking myself after every time I do it ... :p

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
LarryN said:
It was a rainy, slippery, cold day yesterday at the Boston Chapter's event. I was staged next to this guy, and just had to take a pic with my crappy phonecam.

Hi Larry,

Is the Boston event open to non-members? I might like to give it a try.

I had a good day on Sunday, I'm still awaiting results, but I turned times within a second or two of the fastest guys in novice class (which, in cartct club lumps everyone by cylinders; unfair to say the least, I'm running against STI's) with my bone stock, step 323i

The course was fast. too, as the featured marque was Corvette, we had a back stretch where these guys were approaching very high speeds, indeed (I never seem to have time to look down at my speedo since those cones come up fast), but I'd guess I was hitting in the 65 to 70 range, so, who knows where they were.

Here's where I improved: the course had five big sections, it was 6/10ths of a mile long, I drove each section as smoothly as I could finding a nice "connection" among the five parts. Worked for me. I also "got on it" as the morning rain let up and the track dried out. The Kumhos performed well.

In the fun runs, I did best (naturally), turning a 54.1, national champ Mark Daddio was in the 46 range (driving an EVO), so, not bad but...........

Btw, our course is very rough, sometimes I feel as if I'm in a Boston Whaler, at speed in the rough Long Island Sound waters, hope I'm not breaking anything:dunno:

Ed

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
BahnBaum said:
You hit 3rd?

Alex
There were guys hitting third gear, yes, definitely.

I've got a step, I stayed with sport mode the whole day, for some reason, I can't get enough out of leaving it in 2nd (in manual mode), it's my biggest criticism with this car, trying to get the power down early enough is proving nigh impossible.

Ed

·
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EdCT said:
Hi Larry,

Is the Boston event open to non-members? I might like to give it a try.

Ed
Hi Ed!

Sorry, only member can sign up. The website is http://www.boston-bmwcca.org

I had a miserable day. I returned my car to stock, but wanted to run in the same class, becuase I know the e90 will be in DS. I even put back the original Conti Sport Contacts, which are undoubtedly the worst tire known to man. It was raining (as you can tell), and I would have been better off with ice skates.

I still managed to get first in class, incredibly lucky. The funny part is that I got fed up and took a passenger in front and a person in back on my last run. It was my best time, because I got some weight on the tires. I knocked off almost a second on that run. I'm not sure I would have gotten 1st in my class without that run. :D

-Larry

·
10,856 Posts
EdCT said:
There were guys hitting third gear, yes, definitely.

I've got a step, I stayed with sport mode the whole day, for some reason, I can't get enough out of leaving it in 2nd (in manual mode), it's my biggest criticism with this car, trying to get the power down early enough is proving nigh impossible.

Ed
Do you really think that the lag you get when it downshifts to first takes less time than the benefit of not shifting? You guys

That said, even leaving it in second, the torque converter is KILLING YOU on corner exit.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Do you really think that the lag you get when it downshifts to first takes less time than the benefit of not shifting? You guys

That said, even leaving it in second, the torque converter is KILLING YOU on corner exit.
I'm not certain what you're saying here, except to say it's what I said :dunno:

I've tried all three combinations, on the shorter, more technical circuits the fairfield county club runs, second all the way seems best, on the faster, bigger circuits run by the Connecticut Autocross Club, sport mode seems best.

Remember, with a step, manual mode IS leaving-it-in-second mode.

Ed

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
LarryN said:
Hi Ed!

Sorry, only member can sign up. The website is http://www.boston-bmwcca.org

I had a miserable day. I returned my car to stock, but wanted to run in the same class, becuase I know the e90 will be in DS. I even put back the original Conti Sport Contacts, which are undoubtedly the worst tire known to man. It was raining (as you can tell), and I would have been better off with ice skates.

I still managed to get first in class, incredibly lucky. The funny part is that I got fed up and took a passenger in front and a person in back on my last run. It was my best time, because I got some weight on the tires. I knocked off almost a second on that run. I'm not sure I would have gotten 1st in my class without that run. :D

-Larry
I'm seriously considering your chapter since the CT valley chapter seems more interested in dinner dances, picnics and bake sales rather than real car events. They abandoned their auto x a few years ago and have even cut back on the lime rock schedule (although the price hikes there are stifling).

I ran in a monsoon on April 23rd, my conclusion, based on how well I ran yesterday, is the E46 sucks in the rain!! Still, you taking first is something I've yet to achieve, btw, I'm going to start a thread later about autox cheating, something I noticed yesterday.

Ed

·
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EdCT said:
I'm seriously considering your chapter since the CT valley chapter seems more interested in dinner dances, picnics and bake sales rather than real car events. They abandoned their auto x a few years ago and have even cut back on the lime rock schedule (although the price hikes there are stifling).

I ran in a monsoon on April 23rd, my conclusion, based on how well I ran yesterday, is the E46 sucks in the rain!! Still, you taking first is something I've yet to achieve, btw, I'm going to start a thread later about autox cheating, something I noticed yesterday.

Ed
We'd love to have you! There are quite a few CT plates that come up for our events.

The cheating piece, I'm curious about! We implemented a new scheme this year to have drivers fill out a paper form, and sign it, regarding all of their modifications. During tech, they check for those mods, as well as test your camber. There were quite a few times that I saw people putting tape over thier BS, and changing it to an AS, with a frown on. :D If you are caught with undisclosed mods, you forfeit the event, and it could cost you the season standings.

·
Registered
678 Posts
LarryN said:
It would have been even more of a challenge if: 1) I didn't suck; and 2) I could have had a better first run. I don't know where my head was, but I was all out of shape. :mad: I really wish I could actually apply what I know. Ah well. The pub was good, as always. :drink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts