Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 535 with 101k miles on it. I was driving to work this am, stopped at a light, and it started making a bunch of noise. Accelerated and it went away. A few minutes later I got a charging malfunction message. It was driving fine and not making noise anymore.

8 hrs later I start my 20 min commute home. I notice that I don***8217;t have AC. Keep driving. About 10 min after that I start getting messages one after another about chassis stabilization, steering response, active lighting, transmission malfunction and engine overheating (even though temp gauge was normal). Basically rolled into a church parking lot and got it towed.

So I***8217;m assuming the noise I heard this am was my serpentine belt going. I***8217;m just wondering how badly I may have damaged the car by driving it after the fact. Has this happened to anyone else? How much was it to fix?

·
Registered
50 Posts
probably alternator went out or possibly the belt. How old is the battery? I had some crazy stuff fail once on my Lexus when the battery got old, replaced it and everything came back.

There should be no permanent damage, sounds like everything was just shutting down due to low voltage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok well that makes me feel a little better. Battery is about a year old.

I got scared when I was searching old threads and saw a bunch of stories about belts getting sucked up into engines, taking out water pumps, destroying villages, crops and homes lol This car has been eating me alive this year!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like the belt went out.. if not Battery/Alternator sound like the culprits as the previous post mentioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They just called me back. It was the belt and the pulley system. He doesn***8217;t think it***8217;s in the engine whewwww. He said around 400 bucks to fix.

I tried to look under the hood but I***8217;m a lady and didn***8217;t know wtf I was looking at. Anyway! Thanks for all your help ***x1f642;

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've been reading a lot of mentions of the whole belt system. I'm not having any problems, but sometimes on cold startups I think it sounds a little chirpy.

I think I'm going to order an ECS kit of belt, rollers, tensioner and do it this summer.

It's worth mentioning that very often the OFHG is actually to blame, OP might want to make sure it isn't leaking. So far I think I'm good on that front (and not looking forward to it).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would. I told my husband that it was making a kind of squeaky sound on start up a few weeks ago.

We just did the OFHG and OPG a few months ago. But the VCG still needs to be done so maybe some of the oil came from that? Just glad it wasn***8217;t worse case scenario lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts