BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I think we want to order on our 2017 X5 xDrive35i.
Does anyone have any suggestions for changes?

X5 xDrive35i

Exterior Color
668 Jet Black or 475 Black Sapphire Metallic (Not sure which to get)

Interior
LCEW Ivory White and Black Dakota Leather

Packages
ZMP M Sport Package
22P - 20" M Light alloy Double
Spoke wheels style 469M Black with
performance run-flat
2TB Sport Automatic Transmission
337 M Sport Package
3DZ Without Lines designation outside
3MC High-gloss Roof Rails
456 - Multi-contour seats
4CV - Fineline Oak Wood Trim
710 M steering wheel
715 Aerodynamic kit
760 Shadowline exterior trim
2VF - Adaptive M Suspension + rear
axle air suspension
Includes M foot rest and M door sills.
Unique tailpipe design for 6-cyl models.
Launch Control included with sport
automatic.

ZDA Driver Assistance Package
3AG Rear view camera
610 Head-up Display
ZLP Lighting Package
552 Adaptive Full LED Lights
5AC Automatic high beams
ZPP Premium Package
322 Comfort Access keyless entry
4NB 4-zone automatic climate control
655 Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
6NW Wireless Charging
6WD WiFi Hotspot
LC Leather Dakota
ZDB Driver Assistance Plus
5AG Active Blind Spot Detection
5AS Active Driving Assistant
5DL Surround View
8TH Speed Limit Info
Note: Active Driving Assistant includes
Lane Departure Warning, Forward
Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning,
and City Collision Mitigation.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
That looks like 75k already but gotta add the Harmon Kardon audio too!! Best wishes to you!

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Here is what I think we want to order on our 2017 X5 xDrive35i.
Does anyone have any suggestions for changes?

X5 xDrive35i

Exterior Color
668 Jet Black or 475 Black Sapphire Metallic (Not sure which to get)

Interior
LCEW Ivory White and Black Dakota Leather

Packages
ZMP M Sport Package
22P - 20" M Light alloy Double
Spoke wheels style 469M Black with
performance run-flat
2TB Sport Automatic Transmission
337 M Sport Package
3DZ Without Lines designation outside
3MC High-gloss Roof Rails
456 - Multi-contour seats
4CV - Fineline Oak Wood Trim
710 M steering wheel
715 Aerodynamic kit
760 Shadowline exterior trim
2VF - Adaptive M Suspension + rear
axle air suspension
Includes M foot rest and M door sills.
Unique tailpipe design for 6-cyl models.
Launch Control included with sport
automatic.

ZDA Driver Assistance Package
3AG Rear view camera
610 Head-up Display
ZLP Lighting Package
552 Adaptive Full LED Lights
5AC Automatic high beams
ZPP Premium Package
322 Comfort Access keyless entry
4NB 4-zone automatic climate control
655 Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
6NW Wireless Charging
6WD WiFi Hotspot
LC Leather Dakota
ZDB Driver Assistance Plus
5AG Active Blind Spot Detection
5AS Active Driving Assistant
5DL Surround View
8TH Speed Limit Info
Note: Active Driving Assistant includes
Lane Departure Warning, Forward
Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning,
and City Collision Mitigation.
Like the build, pretty loaded (and similar to the one I ordered actually, except for colors).

Basically:

Msport, DA and DA+, multi contour seats Premium Package, Lighting Package, and Adaptive M suspension.

I would recommend getting the Harmon Kardon Sound system. Its not that expensive on a car this loaded, and the sound is good. We have had loaner cars without Harmon Kardon, and found the difference in sound noticeable, even though we use Pandora and iPhones synced via USB.

In the 2017 you can use BMW apps via wifi (unlike 2016s), so I think the harmon kardon is worth it. As for color, I had BSM on my 335, mistakenly thinking it would be easier to take care of than Jet Black, and while it shows swirls considerably less, it still was hard to keep it looking clean. Couple that with the fact that BMWs seem to only come in White, Silver, and shades of black, and I am in favor of any color other than some shade of black on them, lol.

If I was ordering now, I would take a look at the new color Atlas Cedar in person. I just like the car to be a "little" different than everyone elses. Color is highly personal though. The black exterior with the ivory interior will look stunning.

Of course, since its your wifes car, hers is the most important opinion, as I am sure you well know :thumbup:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Upgrade the audio. The standard audio is decent but only at higher volumes, it really sucks at lower volumes. Its the one thing I wish I had upgraded.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Jet Black is not available on M-Sport as far as I know, it wasn't on 2014, 2015, or 2016. Only Black Sapphire Metallic or Carbon Black is available with M Sport unless that will change for 2017??!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Oh and DEFINITELY get the Multi Contour seats if you are all about comfort in the car! Nothing better in the industry except maybe MB S Class seats.
I agree, HK is a MUST! Standard system system is no good.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Also, my 14 X5 has only the Xenon lights. I highly recommend the LED Lighting as I had in my 15 X5 50i and now in my 16 X5 35i. Not only do they do a fantastic job illuminating the road, they look badda$$!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ordering x5d with Merino Leather

I myself am getting ready to order the x5d with pretty much same configuration stated except have two things to contemplate on.

1- Is Premium Package worth the money?
2- Anybody knows anything about Merino Leather design Package? I recently sat in the new 2017 7 series with Merino Leather and loved the comfort.

Buying the car for long routes, drive a Tesla model X in the city, comfortable seats are a must for me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I myself am getting ready to order the x5d with pretty much same configuration stated except have two things to contemplate on.

1- Is Premium Package worth the money?
2- Anybody knows anything about Merino Leather design Package? I recently sat in the new 2017 7 series with Merino Leather and loved the comfort.

Buying the car for long routes, drive a Tesla model X in the city, comfortable seats are a must for me.
For me, the premium package is worth the money to get the comfort access ( a must IMHO), and the satellite radio. If you are doing premium leather, the price of the premium package should go down around $1450 as that premium pkg includes the dakota (basic) leather. I had the mocha nappa design pkg on my, 15 50i, and while it looked great with the contrast stitching, leather dashboard and door panels, etc, the leather was a b!tch to clean and I found the seat foam to be much more firm and uncomfortable. I got the dakota leather on my 16 35i because of that. The dakota is much more durable for sure. I have only once seen the smoke white merino individual leather in person, and it was beautiful! It was a custom order, locked, and on the showroom floor so I wasn't allowed to sit in it :-( as customer was coming to take delivery. The contrast piping, etc, was stunning though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me, the premium package is worth the money to get the comfort access ( a must IMHO), and the satellite radio. If you are doing premium leather, the price of the premium package should go down around $1450 as that premium pkg includes the dakota (basic) leather. I had the mocha nappa design pkg on my, 15 50i, and while it looked great with the contrast stitching, leather dashboard and door panels, etc, the leather was a b!tch to clean and I found the seat foam to be much more firm and uncomfortable. I got the dakota leather on my 16 35i because of that. The dakota is much more durable for sure. I have only once seen the smoke white merino individual leather in person, and it was beautiful! It was a custom order, locked, and on the showroom floor so I wasn't allowed to sit in it :-( as customer was coming to take delivery. The contrast piping, etc, was stunning though.
Did you get the nappa leather with perforated leather or non-perforated? I test drove MC Dakota leather and didn't find it that comfortable and was hoping Nappa would be more comfy. I guess not. That makes me more confused now.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Did you get the nappa leather with perforated leather or non-perforated? I test drove MC Dakota leather and didn't find it that comfortable and was hoping Nappa would be more comfy. I guess not. That makes me more confused now.
One would THINK the Nappa would have been more comfortable. While the leather is softer and more 'plush'; if you will, they put more rigid seat foam under that softer leather to help it hold more shape as the nappa leather gives more. I did not have the ventilated seats - didn't want them as I had already heard the ventilation makes the seat much more firm and uncomfortable. My 14 35d had dakota, 15 50i had mocha nappa, and 16 35i now has dakota. All seats were the MC. None of them had the ventilation option. THe nappa leather seats provided a more narrow area for your posterior to fit as the foam is more rigid and does not 'flex' or give as much as the dakota - once the seats are broken in. It got to the point that I hated the nappa seats so much, my brother-in-law and I actually took the driver's seat apart and modified the foam. The nappa foam tends to pinch your hips and force them more together - not allowing me to spread my legs out enough. My BIL used to have a body shop so he was good with upholstery and all things automotive. I was looking at the X5M for a hot minute, and was surprised that I found the ventilated M seats to be comfy - but I never drove it for an extended period of time - and decided it was best not to as I'd probably buy the thing on the spot and didn't want that higher payment! LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
One would THINK the Nappa would have been more comfortable. While the leather is softer and more 'plush'; if you will, they put more rigid seat foam under that softer leather to help it hold more shape as the nappa leather gives more. I did not have the ventilated seats - didn't want them as I had already heard the ventilation makes the seat much more firm and uncomfortable. My 14 35d had dakota, 15 50i had mocha nappa, and 16 35i now has dakota. All seats were the MC. None of them had the ventilation option. THe nappa leather seats provided a more narrow area for your posterior to fit as the foam is more rigid and does not 'flex' or give as much as the dakota - once the seats are broken in. It got to the point that I hated the nappa seats so much, my brother-in-law and I actually took the driver's seat apart and modified the foam. The nappa foam tends to pinch your hips and force them more together - not allowing me to spread my legs out enough. My BIL used to have a body shop so he was good with upholstery and all things automotive. I was looking at the X5M for a hot minute, and was surprised that I found the ventilated M seats to be comfy - but I never drove it for an extended period of time - and decided it was best not to as I'd probably buy the thing on the spot and didn't want that higher payment! LOL
Does this mean Nappa Perforated/Ventilated would be more comfortable? hmm. That still doesn't discount the fact that it provides a "more narrow area for your posterior".

·
Registered
435 Posts
Does this mean Nappa Perforated/Ventilated would be more comfortable? hmm. That still doesn't discount the fact that it provides a "more narrow area for your posterior".
The X5M (F85) has a completely different seat not available in a non M (F15) vehicle. Let's take that out of the equation.

I found the Nappa seats in my 50i to be more constricting/firmer/less area for your butt/hips; noticably so, more than my 14 35d or 16 35i. the foam is just more dense/rigid in the nappa and does not 'give' as much as the foam under the dakota. I know this for a fact as I stated before, we actually took the driver's seat of the nappa MC apart and modified the foam. I believe they do this on the nappa leather to give it more support since the nappa is soft and 'stretches/gives' more. Dakota is much rougher and doesn't stretch much like the nappa. Again, I have heard from many on both F15 forums that the ventilated seats are definitely not nearly as comfortable as the non-ventilated. This has been my experience...YMMV.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would add ACC and the HK sound.

Looks like a nice build !! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
The X5M (F85) has a completely different seat not available in a non M (F15) vehicle. Let's take that out of the equation.

I found the Nappa seats in my 50i to be more constricting/firmer/less area for your butt/hips; noticably so, more than my 14 35d or 16 35i. the foam is just more dense/rigid in the nappa and does not 'give' as much as the foam under the dakota. I know this for a fact as I stated before, we actually took the driver's seat of the nappa MC apart and modified the foam. I believe they do this on the nappa leather to give it more support since the nappa is soft and 'stretches/gives' more. Dakota is much rougher and doesn't stretch much like the nappa. Again, I have heard from many on both F15 forums that the ventilated seats are definitely not nearly as comfortable as the non-ventilated. This has been my experience...YMMV.
Okay. your first comment is very interesting. Does that mean if I get the non-M seats, Nappa (still less foam) or Dakota they will be more comfortable than M seats?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nevermind about the X5M. It was just a comment. X5M has its own set of seats you can't get i in a 35i or 50i or 35d. X5M is also about 110K.

You can get 3 types different seats in a 35d, 35i, or 50i, with 3 different leather choices, also WITH or WITHOUT ventilations.

Standard seat - available with pleather or dakota leather. ( i do not recommend)
M Sport Pkg seat - available with Dakota or Nappa (not as comfy as multi contour)
Multicontour seat - available with Dakota, Nappa, or Merino. (Most comfortable)

Multicontour with Dakota = Most hip/butt room
Multicontour with Nappa = Less flex, more dense foam (compared to dakota)
Multicontour with Merino = I don't know, never sat in one.

I'm pretty sure you have to go to multicontour seats to get nappa or merino leather.

Hope this helps. Again, if you are obsessed with comfort, like me, I'd advise NOT getting ventilated option. Overwhelming majority of people say they don't work well and are less comfortable (more firm) than non-ventilated.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I hate the ACC. Beware, unless they changed it for 17 (which was a rumor), you can ONLY use ACC and not normal cruise (DCC) if you want to. BMW acknowledged they have problems with the ACC to me. Search forum for issues about it. Allows way too much space at highway speeds, etc. Not all situations are appropriate for ACC. I had mine coded to make ACC and DCC be able to be toggled. I ONLY use ACC in stop-and-go traffic otherwise it is mind-numbingly annoying how soon it brakes you on the highway when you are approaching a vehicle in front of you, even on the shortest distance setting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts