BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Among the Proud
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since my beloved 214s vibrated, I changed out to some "different" wheels, which came as a darker gunmetal, which I felt didn't really go with the white as a color combo. I like the bright aluminum (plastidip) seen in the pic, but the brake dust has been a tremendous PITA to clean from dip, and I'm tired of keeping up with it (hopefully these new pads will help, but I'm not holding my breath).

What do you guys think about dipping them in black with this color combo? How do you feel about black wheels in general? I hated them before but I've seen some on white trucks/SUVs in person (which makes a difference IMO) and don't mind them as much as I thought. Regardless, easy on, easy off.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My winter setup

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Noooooo dont be like everyone else blacking out there wheels. I love the way your wheels look. I use Armor All wheel protectant. Works very well. Just do a couple of thin coats allowing to dry between coats. Around seven bucks at Walmart.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I really like blackened fish! ;-) I like bright trim & wheels, chrome bumpers etc but except for old classics most bright work has gone the way of the dinosaur! I wash my X5 every couple weeks and the factory 19" wheels come clean easily with a brush I have that is designed to not scratch them. I have thought about darker wheels though with some bright highlights but in the end brake dust is still all over the wheels within a week or 10 days and just because you don't see it as well you'll know it's there and the car isn't really clean.

Go with what you feel looks the best, you'll appreciate the car more when it all cleaned up. Also get some paste wax or wheel sealer on the wheels and the dust will just about hose off...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Since my beloved 214s vibrated, I changed out to some "different" wheels, which came as a darker gunmetal, which I felt didn't really go with the white as a color combo. I like the bright aluminum (plastidip) seen in the pic, but the brake dust has been a tremendous PITA to clean from dip, and I'm tired of keeping up with it (hopefully these new pads will help, but I'm not holding my breath).

What do you guys think about dipping them in black with this color combo? How do you feel about black wheels in general? I hated them before but I've seen some on white trucks/SUVs in person (which makes a difference IMO) and don't mind them as much as I thought. Regardless, easy on, easy off.

Great looking ride, what size are the rims you have on it? And what is the model # of them?
I am in the process of buying a 2011 X5 and it has 19" rims and I just think they look on the small size.... So I want to go up an inch or 2.

Love the look of your rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Among the Proud
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great looking ride, what size are the rims you have on it? And what is the model # of them?
20" style 433 replicas. The rears have spokes that set in more (offset) so it looks better than the fronts. These are the M6 wheel style and they couldn't quite get them as nice looking.

I would suggest finding 214s or some of the new F15 X5 sport wheels.

·
Registered
121 Posts
20" style 433 replicas. The rears have spokes that set in more (offset) so it looks better than the fronts. These are the M6 wheel style and they couldn't quite get them as nice looking.

I would suggest finding 214s or some of the new F15 X5 sport wheels.
Ok so what about something like this? They say it is perfect for E70's

WHEEL SIZE: 20 INCH
WHEEL WIDTH: 10 FRONT AND 11 REAR
WHEEL OFFSETS: 40 FRONT AND 35 REAR
BOLT PATTERN: 5 X 120
FINISH: MACHINED GUNMETAL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
do you like high contrast? Notice you have pre-LCI, so you have more black plastic body panels, so it might contrast better.

I've seen some really good high contrast black wheels on white cars. But gloss black is better than flat black. The wheel arch, gap and tire all look "dark" and there's not distinction of where the fender ends and wheels starts.

IMO, you're ****ed either way, b/c I just can't get over the black body panels on pre-lci cars. Come on BMW, wtf are you thinking? They also had it on F15 X5s as well, double wtf?

·
Among the Proud
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Among the Proud
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so what about something like this? They say it is perfect for E70's

WHEEL SIZE: 20 INCH
WHEEL WIDTH: 10 FRONT AND 11 REAR
WHEEL OFFSETS: 40 FRONT AND 35 REAR
BOLT PATTERN: 5 X 120
FINISH: MACHINED GUNMETAL
It's been a while so I don't remember how to determine the correct offsets based on width (if they'll stick out or sit too far in), but all the other numbers look right for staggered. You can use spacers too if they sit too far in, which I had to do especially for the rears. Of course that introduces other risk.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
I have a fresh set of powder coated black 19's with fairly new 1 yr old bridgestone runflats on them. Im thinking of swapping to 214 20" if anyone is interested in my current setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts