BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 330Ci has been driven for about 1800 miles since new, mostly a freeway commute to and from work. In this time, the front end has proven to be a real pebble-magnet. There are three or four points where the paint was damaged by flying pebbles or other debris. The worst one is a little over 1/16" across and went down to the primer paint. The paint on my '88 Scirocco seems more impervious to this type of damage.

I'm considering different solutions to improve the situation, including the BMW clear protective covering on the front. What are your impressions of this product - How visible is it; does it yellow over time; can it be installed by a DIY'er or is it better left to a dealer?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Terry. This morning I found this post which pretty much answered all my questions. At this point, buying and installing it myself looks like a good option. I just need to figure out how best to patch the existing ding to minimize the chances of the surrounding paint pulling up when the film is eventually peeled off.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
I would say do NOT install to install it yourself. Lots of work and frustration. BT, DT. A pro can do it quickly and it will look great. Do it yourself and it will take a while and you will probably not be totally happy with the reults.

It looks VERY easy watching a pro do it, but it isn't that easy the first time or two you do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.