BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new member and hunting for thoughts if I sell my car,

I have owned this for the last 12+ year would need to go look when I bought it.
So thinking about selling my 1993 325is and looking for thoughts/opinions on what it might be worth.
I know it is always worth less than I have in it but here it goes lol.

The following completed in the last 5.5 years.
Wrapped in matte black not perfect but 9/10 ( in Spring of 2020)
Sparco Drivers Seat new but sun faded now
Ground control Coil Overs new
All strut mount bearings replaced front and rear new
Clutch master and slave and cable replaced new
AC Condensor and Compressor and all associated hoses and o rings replaced new
Better condition door panels from a different BMW
Tie rod assemblies left and right new
Steering rack boot
Steering rack replaced with new
Power steering reservoir and all hoses associated.new
Replaced rear trailing arm bolts with new
Rear left knuckle replaced
Rear wheel bearing and wheel hub new
Replaced rear axle
New stock muffler
Left drivers side window motor and regulator new
Control arms and bushings replaced new.
New front windshield
All above done by certified BMW shop.
Light weight wheels spacer on front
Can run 245s on all 4 if you want current has 235/45 with about 2000 miles on them.
New headlights
Cold Air intake

Done priori to buying it...
Front strut support
Chip

Thoughts??
I have had this car for 12-14 years
I do have the kidney grills just not installed in the below picture.
Approx 180K miles but a lot replaced in last 5 years.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
All those mod's lower the value, especially the wrap. That's now an antique car, and people who buy antique cars want them in original condition. With all those mod's and the mileage, what you have there is a running parts car.

I sold a 12.5 year old, 115k mile E46 M3 for over KBB in less than one day. I then had 200 to 300 more inquiries. That many inquiries was enough to give me insight into what used car buyers liked in my ad. In no particular order: "original owner," "original paint," and "bone stock."

There's no such thing as a BMW certified shop, other than BMW dealerships.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,507 Posts
This is just a generic answer of anything like this....

A car's value depends on a lot of things, audience and what your doing,

Trade-In: Going to be less than the lowest KBB price
Write-off: (uless approved value new car): grab 3 car prices locally, average it and hope the insurance pays that
Resale general on the web: People will check the KBB value and low ball you on that
Resale to an enthusiast: Will be a person who KNOWS what the car is worth and will still try and loball you

ANYTHING you put on or do to a car, which takes it away from OEM, will lower the price of the car. I've never known anyone go out and look for a modified car, I never have.

When it comes to selling, you have to 1> depersonalise the car 2> remove your feelings

As an example, I sold my 944s2 for £4000 before I immigrated, even then I only had 2 buyers, long story, the car was MINT and even ready for Canadian winter, but the VIN was a ROW and could not get insurance on the car, broke my wooking heart, bought it for £10,000 4 years previously, have seen 44 s2 cabs for going on $15k here in Canada

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,507 Posts
as AP said,
what I would do is,
1> Remove the wrap, get it PROPERLY detailed, paint corrected and finished
2> remove the sparco's and put original seats back in
3> Remove the strut bar, makes it look like it's been raced and tracked
4> a tracked car is very specific to somone who wants that

Your BEST bet for money is selling it as an original, or near as dammit (now) car, classic, custom. You may need to spend some, but I think the outcome would be better, as stands as the feel of something outta the F&F franchise.

If not at VERY VERY MINIUM I would remove the wrap and have the body work fixed and polishied the crap outta of it

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,507 Posts
can't find that car on KBB

Autotrader shows a private sale of a for 9,500 which I think is wishful thnking
Rare 1994 BMW 318i.

·
Registered
2000 540i/MT-6 ('99 MB C43, '03 MB SL500, '81 Alfa Spider)
166 Posts
The value and the market are two different things. As with a lot of vehicles, the way to figure what a car is "worth" is to look for "comps". Search for similar cars in you general area and make the appropriate adjustment for condition. Check here obviously, but also auction sites and [email protected], etc. I disagree that ALL mods to a car reduce the value of a car like yours. For BMWs, for instance, some DINAN mods may add a bit of value for the right buyer. However, I agree that the mods like a wrap and race seats greatly reduces your potential buyers ( and thus potential value).

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,507 Posts
with a wrap (as well I just thought), hides a lot, somone may wonder what is being hidden by a wrap

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,507 Posts
oh dear

·
Lauren Rjahhovski @ Pedal Commander
172 Posts
Agree with above. It takes a certain Bimmer person to be interested in the vehicle. Whatever you decide to do, it's best to either try to sell on a marketplace like here or on Craig's list, or another Bimmer place. Looking at an Auto trader or car fax, or other will most likely not give you the value you want.
Example: We bought our E38 Privately at the mileage it had, but the value of the car at the time on Car fax was not the same, and the work we've put to her is more than the car's value, but that goes without saying.
All in all, don't be in a rush to sell it, whatever you decide to do. But Bimmer enthusiast will might not be interested in all of the things you have on it. You can try to reach out to places more designated to the things you've put on the car.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,738 Posts
Offer it to other autocrossers.

And that listing you found for a 94 318i is VERY wishful thinking. There's nothing "rare" or desirable about a 94 318i unless it's in a rare individual original color and has nearly no miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts