Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm looking at a 2003 BMW 325i.

125k miles, silver on black has issues.

Drives okay but needs brakes.

Is 2k fair for this car?

I know I didn't provide much information, I will add pictures once I get to my computer today. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clean title. It needs brakes and rotors because when I press the brakes the steering wheel shakes and shimmies.
Seat is ripped, interior is nasty, a new fuel pump is in the trunk but it drives ok.
It was a trade in at the dealer i work at. And I'm a fellow Lexus guy so German is new to me. Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi
I'm looking at a 2003 BMW 325i.

125k miles, silver on black has issues.

Drives okay but needs brakes.

Is 2k fair for this car?

I know I didn't provide much information, I will add pictures once I get to my computer today. Thanks.
Usually they go for 3000-4100 in near good condition or better. If it is 2,000 you going spent addition 1k on the car

·
Registered
33 Posts
Clean title. It needs brakes and rotors because when I press the brakes the steering wheel shakes and shimmies.
Seat is ripped, interior is nasty, a new fuel pump is in the trunk but it drives ok.
It was a trade in at the dealer i work at. And I'm a fellow Lexus guy so German is new to me. Thanks
Brakes and Rotors complete kit is $250-$350 just for part only, to put on the parts looking at $700-900 if all four wheels need them. You should replace ABS and Brake Pad sensor if they rusty. You might need little tune up and checking.

Don't go to BMW Dealer to put on brakes you might cry when you see your bill.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has zero rust, which is good.

I'll try and get a breakdown of the issues sometime today.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
if you do the work yourself and buy the parts it's still a good price, but if you're not handy and depends on a shop/dealer it will cost you more in the long run. i suspect it might need a cooling system overhaul at that mileage and the previous owner is not that great at maintaining it (by the description of the interior and parts not installed) I bet there's some starting issues at times that's why there's a new fuel pump.

it ain't a lexus which you do only basic maintenance for the rest of ownership.. some bmw parts/sensors are ticking time bombs, they wear and fail miserably at lower miles compared to a lexus/toyota.

--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/diybmwe46

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts
"There is nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW"

Heed those words, they contain a lot of truth. If this car was poorly maintained, it could be a real money pit. If there`s any episodes of overheating in it`s history, it`s probably a good idea to pass it by, regardless of the price. If you`re seriously considering this purchase, get a good PPI, it will benefit you in the long run.

Stay away from eBay brakes !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the breakdown:

No known oil leaks
Bad drivers cv axle
Needs front brakes and rotors

Owner will sell to me for 2600.

Thoughts?

Again, pics to come tonight

Mechanic looked at it already and this is what he came up with.

And another note, this would be sort of a learning experience, and maybe to flip. I'm not sure yet.

Thanks!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts
So the breakdown:

No known oil leaks
Bad drivers cv axle
Needs front brakes and rotors

Owner will sell to me for 2600.

Thoughts?

Again, pics to come tonight

Mechanic looked at it already and this is what he came up with.

And another note, this would be sort of a learning experience, and maybe to flip. I'm not sure yet.

Thanks!
If you do all the labor yourself, the car will still need at least $1000 worth of work right off the bat (brakes, cooling system rebuild, incidentals). Just food for thought.

·
Registered
345 Posts
if you are not a DIY, flip it for a profit (don't expect that much at this condition)

if you love the car and willing to shell out on repair/maintenance expense then it's your decision, as what FastBob & others mentioned it's going to be at least 1k (on parts only) to have it in good running condition.

did you ask the owner on how it was maintained (receipts as proof) ? that would at least give you an idea if they're just passing their headache/money pit to you.

--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/diybmwe46

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm a DIYer, I've replaced trannies and clutches a few times, but I understand your reasoning. As to maintaining idk what the po did.

Like I said, the mechanic looked at it and he said everything g is good except the cv axle and brakes. I'll trust you guys, though.

We shall see what happens, I'll let y'all know what goes. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As promised, here are the photos of the car.

If I can get the car for less than $2200, I think I'll be in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something else, turns out this is a 325xi, it's AWD.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts
Something else, turns out this is a 325xi, it's AWD.
In NM, you need AWD like JFK needed that last trip to Dallas....if you buy this one you really ARE a glutton for punishment.... :rofl:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In NM, you need AWD like JFK needed that last trip to Dallas....if you buy this one you really ARE a glutton for punishment.... :rofl:
I mentioned this because the resell value goes up the more options it has. 325xi is an upgrade to the 325i.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,994 Posts
I mentioned this because the resell value goes up the more options it has. 325xi is an upgrade to the 325i.
...if you sell it in Denver!

The AWD system adds weight and extra parts to break. It is only worth extra money if you live where there is significant snow more than just a couple days a year or you go off-roading, and this is not a vehicle for off-roading.

Power/memory seats, navigation, Xenon's, CD changer...those are the things that can get more money in warmer climates.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts
...if you sell it in Denver!

The AWD system adds weight and extra parts to break. It is only worth extra money if you live where there is significant snow more than just a couple days a year or you go off-roading, and this is not a vehicle for off-roading.

Power/memory seats, navigation, Xenon's, CD changer...those are the things that can get more money in warmer climates.
`Zackly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you live outside the Snow Belt, Xi is a downgrade....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts