BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opted not to get the CWP this time around. I ordered the heated seats which are awesome, but the ski bag served no use for me and the headlamp washers didn't really help much with keeping the lens clean. I see that a lot of people still do order the CWP on the coupe. On the sedan, I would because they toss in the washers for almost nothing, but the coupe already has the fold-down seats.

The washers do, in my opinion, make the headlight cluster look more defined.

In due time, I might even order the trim pieces and "retrofit" the look of the washer cutout to define the lamps more. Maybe it could serve as a secret storage site for spare keys, etc...

Thoughts?

-RChoudry

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
The headlight washers are a mixed blessing. I loved them in the winter, but I end up never using my windshield washers in the summer because they would activate the headlight washers and create a royal mess. Talk about an easy way to mess up that detail job you spent hours working on.

If you could shut them off, I'd love them even more.

Looks are subjective, but I think they look very nice and fills that otherwise unusually empty space below the headlights.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
alee said:
If you could shut them off, I'd love them even more.
Couldn't agree more. After detailing the car, I turn the lights off to use the windshield wipers when I'm away in the city (at traffic lights for example) :D

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Couldn't agree more. After detailing the car, I turn the lights off to use the windshield wipers when I'm away in the city (at traffic lights for example) :D
Has that been proven to work?

I'm way too anal to try turning off my lights and trying the headlight washers. Seems like no matter what, it's a big mess. :mad:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
alee said:

I'm way too anal to try turning off my lights and trying the headlight washers. Seems like no matter what, it's a big mess. :mad:
AFAIK, the headlight washers work only if you have the headlights on.

But to avoid the mess when I want to use the windshield washer, I turn the lights off :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Al,

what do you think of the replacement idea for the void space under the headlights. it costs 20 dollars for each side plus paint to get the washer "look".

Should I?......

-RChoudry

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
alee said:

The headlight washers definitely do NOT activate if your headlights are off.

I would gladly sign a petition to redesign the headlight washers to be manually activated only.

I too turn my lights off at stoplights to use my windshield washer at night. PITA.

On the plus side, the evaporating washer fluid on the lights makes for a kind of groovy psychedelic light show. :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What about coordinating the rain sensor with the headlamp wahers? Obviuosly, when it is raining, a little overspray is insignificant. I think the washers should be activated in synch with the rain sensor.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
I had the headlamp washers, they're standard on Canadian 330's.

They're pretty useless in all honesty. If you get into a situation where you're really going to need them(Read: Winter, mud) they're pretty useless and don't do much if anything but making it messier.

On the plus side, they do look cool when active and for spraying other motorists and pedestrians :lmao:

·
Registered
182 Posts
RChoudry said:
What about coordinating the rain sensor with the headlamp wahers? Obviuosly, when it is raining, a little overspray is insignificant. I think the washers should be activated in synch with the rain sensor.
Personally, I don't think I'd use the headlamp washers in plain rain. I'd use them for snow, slush, and mud, but probably not just rain.

Here's a slightly different suggestion. How about a switch that works like the new automatic headlight feature? That's a 4 position switch which has an automatic setting as well as a manual activation setting.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Do the headlamp washers draw fluid from the windshield wiper tank?

If not, You could drain the aux tank during summer months. If they use the same tank, I guess that idea would not work.

There's got to be an easy solution out there...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
you might as well get it now. I would not get it on the sedan because of the fold down seats and loss of rigidity. Since the coupes have the fold down seats already, I opted for the CWP because I wanted heated seats, and it was only $200 more for the headlight wasers and ski bag (which I use for other things:D . Yes, they only come on when the headlights are on, and for me, I only use the headlight washers before a car wash:lmao:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.