BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I may have the chance to score a great lease deal on one (good enough to make me reconsider getting a blowout deal on a leftover f10). I'm still at the point of just learning about it but am becoming more and more intrigued. Just wondered what your thoughts are. Overall I think it's one of the best looking cars in this class (much prefer it to the e class and a6 for example).

Things I like vs the f10:
-reviews claim better steering feel and handling
-aluminum construction yields impressive weight reduction - 3700 pounds for the v6 model!
-more legroom and trunk space (not that the f10 is bad but more is nice)
-like the f type inspired steering wheel vs the msport wheel
-supercharged engine which feels more linear than any turbo engine.Seems to sound good to
-it's something different. After having 3 bmws and possibly considering getting the same body style again change would be nice. I have 0 interest in the other cars I this class for a variety of reasons.
-no runflats and an actual spare tire!
-I like the more modern interior trim choices such as the natural wood finishes they offer
-available with a full TFT gauge cluster like the 6 series or latest audis. Not necessary but would be kind of cool to try
-can get an alcantara headliner. That's special order only on the f10 and going to be almost impossible to find on a leftover unit. Of course totally unnecessary as well but I love alcantara headliners

Downsides:
-interior plastics aren't as good. Door panel design isn't as nice. I'm indifferent on the dash design compared to the f10
-the new 10" nav seems to atleast be on par feature and speed wise with idrive. I'm still not a fan of touch screens in cars though. Jaguar also has less hard buttons and relies more on the touch screen which could be annoying. No Apple CarPlay but I don't care because in my experience it sucks
-you have to get an rsport or s model to get adaptive cruise. I really, really want that feature on my next car. Also, if you do get it the emblem on the front grill becomes a rectangular clear piece of plastic that looks cheap . Many of the press cars have this. Granted it's going to be very hard to find adaptive cruise on a dealer stock f10 as it is rarely ordered.
-don't love the rotary shift knob but it's fine
-like earlier bmws start stop can't be permanently turned off apparently.
-no equivalent to multi contour seats
-no semi aniline leather option (strange for a jaguar)
-rear isn't as nice looking and don't love the rear side quarter Windows
-could have more niggling issues being a new model and being a jaguar.

Overall I'm inclined to go for it. After all it's just a lease and I can always go back to BMW if it turns out to be a bad experience.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,802 Posts
I haven't really researched it at all. However, I have seen a few F-Types and they have been pulling at me a bit. I think they are gorgeous. Still too expensive I think, unless you go with basic black leather. Getting better leather choices forces you to higher options. Anyway off-topic, sorry. I thought the last gen XF looked very nice as well. Not sure I would jump from BMW/German engineering to Jaguar, but like you said, you're not stuck forever. I'm planning on an '18 540i myself.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I haven't driven the new XF yet, but it is suppose to be an improvement over the old one and the old one was pretty dam* good already. I though the steering in the old XF was better than in my F10 and that supercharged engine feels quicker than the N55. The sport seats in the XF is pretty supportive, right up there with BMW's multi-contour seats in my opinion. If you are leasing, then reliability is really not that important. Much like you, after 3 BMW in a row, I was ready for a change.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't driven the new XF yet, but it is suppose to be an improvement over the old one and the old one was pretty dam* good already. I though the steering in the old XF was better than in my F10 and that supercharged engine feels quicker than the N55. The sport seats in the XF is pretty supportive, right up there with BMW's multi-contour seats in my opinion. If you are leasing, then reliability is really not that important. Much like you, after 3 BMW in a row, I was ready for a change.
Interesting - it looks like the R sport and S models come with a 12 way sport seat. Does that include the thigh extender? That's really the only extra adjustment on the mukticontours that I care about. I find that I don't use the upper backrest adjustment because it hurts my back.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My colleague has the F-Type ("S") and the logo on his SUV front grille looks good in my opinion. Very similar to the "M" front grille badge, if you ask me.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't really researched it at all. However, I have seen a few F-Types and they have been pulling at me a bit. I think they are gorgeous. Still too expensive I think, unless you go with basic black leather. Getting better leather choices forces you to higher options. Anyway off-topic, sorry. I thought the last gen XF looked very nice as well. Not sure I would jump from BMW/German engineering to Jaguar, but like you said, you're not stuck forever. I'm planning on an '18 540i myself.
The F type is gorgeous. If I were in the market for one Id be torn between that and a Cayman.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Interesting - it looks like the R sport and S models come with a 12 way sport seat. Does that include the thigh extender? That's really the only extra adjustment on the mukticontours that I care about. I find that I don't use the upper backrest adjustment because it hurts my back.
I think the S has the extension.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Pushing the off button every time you start would be a negative. Read however, that there is a small battery in the trunk fuse box. Disconnect the negative and the start/stop is permanently disabled with no downside or warning lights.

"like earlier bmws start stop can't be permanently turned off apparently."

·
Registered
192 Posts
The new XF is gorgeous. Even better, you can get one in British Racing Green! So if you enjoy driving it and the price is right, why not? A change of pace is a good thing (I rarely drive the same brand of car twice in a row), and BMW will still be around when the lease is up. Besides, it's probably best to give BMW a few years to work out the teething issues on the G30 that are sure to come anyway.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,802 Posts
The new XF is gorgeous. Even better, you can get one in British Racing Green! So if you enjoy driving it and the price is right, why not? A change of pace is a good thing (I rarely drive the same brand of car twice in a row), and BMW will still be around when the lease is up. Besides, it's probably best to give BMW a few years to work out the teething issues on the G30 that are sure to come anyway.
So you think the new Jag will have less teething issues than the new G30?

·
Registered
192 Posts
So you think the new Jag will have less teething issues than the new G30?
That's unknowable at this point, and although Jag has not historically bathed itself in glory when it comes to reliability, the last 5 series got off to a pretty rough start itself. Having said that, **I think** the new XF has fewer all new parts to it than the G30, which bodes well for it. What it indisputably has over the G30, though, is (1) British Racing Green, and (2) it's a change of pace (for the OP)!

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Pushing the off button every time you start would be a negative. Read however, that there is a small battery in the trunk fuse box. Disconnect the negative and the start/stop is permanently disabled with no downside or warning lights.

"like earlier bmws start stop can't be permanently turned off apparently."
That aux battery is not only for start stop, it also allow the car to shift into neutral if the main battery die and the car needs a tow, something BMW lacks. After driving my old BMWs with their poor implementation of the start stop system, I was pretty turn off by this feature until I drove other manufacturers start stop system which is much smoother and seamless.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
That aux battery is only for start stop, it also allow the car to shift into neutral if the main battery die and the car needs a tow, something BMW lacks. After driving my old BMWs with their poor implementation of the start stop system, I was pretty turn off by this feature until I drove other manufacturers start stop system which is much smoother and seamless.
Its a lot better in 2016 BMWs than it was in 2013 BMWs. Its much smoother in the new BMWs, referring to the stop start feature. I still dont use it.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That aux battery is only for start stop, it also allow the car to shift into neutral if the main battery die and the car needs a tow, something BMW lacks. After driving my old BMWs with their poor implementation of the start stop system, I was pretty turn off by this feature until I drove other manufacturers start stop system which is much smoother and seamless.
Kudos to jaguar for adding that feature (shifting into neutral if battery dies). That is indeed something BMW should do. The start stop system on the XF gets bad reviews too though- did it feel better to you than bmw's?

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's unknowable at this point, and although Jag has not historically bathed itself in glory when it comes to reliability, the last 5 series got off to a pretty rough start itself. Having said that, **I think** the new XF has fewer all new parts to it than the G30, which bodes well for it. What it indisputably has over the G30, though, is (1) British Racing Green, and (2) it's a change of pace (for the OP)!
The XF sounds like a pretty thorough redesign. New platform, electronics, suspension design, etc. it's been out for almost a year now though so they have a head start over the g30. That may not count for anything though - who knows.

Their new homegrown infotainment system with the 10" screen sounds like it's had lots of glitches. And they haven't gotten around to adding voice recognition to it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The XF sounds like a pretty thorough redesign. New platform, electronics, suspension design, etc. it's been out for almost a year now though so they have a head start over the g30. That may not count for anything though - who knows.

Their new homegrown infotainment system with the 10" screen sounds like it's had lots of glitches. And they haven't gotten around to adding voice recognition to it!
Yeah, if a tight infotainment interface is important to you, go ahead and jettison your Jag dreams pronto. Uncooperative electronics is a tried and true tradition in British cars that unfortunately lingers.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I had a LCI f10 as well as a pre LCI, although the auto start stop is better in the LCI, it is still rather slow and intrusive compare to Mercedes's. I have never driven the new Jag XF, therefore I cannot speak of their auto start stop system, but it is suppose to have a tandem solenoid electric motor starter which allows for pre-engagement of the starter gear for a faster re-start.

As for the Brit's electronics, don't get me started please, I am just glad they no longer use a positive grounding system :) :)

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yeah, if a tight infotainment interface is important to you, go ahead and jettison your Jag dreams pronto. Uncooperative electronics is a tried and true tradition in British cars that unfortunately lingers.
Ha- not a deal breaker. Other than idrive, I find most infotainment systems subpar. I'm impressed with the underpinnings of jags new system though. And regardless it'll be better than Cue or that ridiculous Lexus mouse system.

I'm really not interested in any of the competitors in the least other than the Jag.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts