Bimmerfest BMW banner

12041 - 12060 of 13409 Posts

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Guys, I didn't want to make a whole new thread for this, and thought this might be the right place to post.

But I got an offer to trade my 525iT wagon for a 2000 540i 6 speed. I obviously would prefer for an 02 or 03 540i/6 Msport, but this came my way.

2000 540i
144k miles
Chain guides done (along with service record)
Has M bumpers front and back, as well as aftermarket updated lights front and back
Black interior
Clean Title
Not sure of any mods

My wagon:
2001 525iT
144k miles
Automatic
Clean title
Dove Grey Interior
Subtle Mods here and there

Good Trade? Or should I pass and find myself a nice 03 540i/6 Msport?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Guys, I didn't want to make a whole new thread for this, and thought this might be the right place to post.

But I got an offer to trade my 525iT wagon for a 2000 540i 6 speed. I obviously would prefer for an 02 or 03 540i/6 Msport, but this came my way.

2000 540i
144k miles
Chain guides done (along with service record)
Has M bumpers front and back, as well as aftermarket updated lights front and back
Black interior
Clean Title
Not sure of any mods

My wagon:
2001 525iT
144k miles
Automatic
Clean title
Dove Grey Interior
Subtle Mods here and there

Good Trade? Or should I pass and find myself a nice 03 540i/6 Msport?
Hmm... it depends, if the 540 is in similar condition to yours and is in good mechanical condition, it could be a good trade. But it also depends on how badly you want an M sport, because in that case it may be better to hold out.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,645 Posts
Like dubya said it depends on condition. But also is this an even trade or will cash go one way or the other? If you plan on adding a 540 then no but if you only wanted (can afford) only 1 car than a trade is ideal, no worries about selling.
The good news is you can mod the 2000 into an 03 M-Sport, it already has the V8 + 6sp so the hard part is done.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
5,645 Posts
Not sure who knows FastBob...his wife had to get a mass removed from her brain and I'm guessing insurance doesn't cover enough so he had to put up his pristine low mileage E46 ZHP.
Anyway, smolck started a gofundme and there is s thread about all this in the E46 forum.

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Hmm... it depends, if the 540 is in similar condition to yours and is in good mechanical condition, it could be a good trade. But it also depends on how badly you want an M sport, because in that case it may be better to hold out.
Like dubya said it depends on condition. But also is this an even trade or will cash go one way or the other? If you plan on adding a 540 then no but if you only wanted (can afford) only 1 car than a trade is ideal, no worries about selling.
The good news is you can mod the 2000 into an 03 M-Sport, it already has the V8 + 6sp so the hard part is done.

Yeah, that's what everyone was leading me to as well. I'll just wait till I come across a nice M-sport. They're starting to become a lot more affordable. Plus I don't mind holding on to my wagon at all. I kind of don't want to let it go actually :dunno: If only it was a 540.. and somehow ended up with a 6spd transplant lol

·
5,645 Posts
Yeah, that's what everyone was leading me to as well. I'll just wait till I come across a nice M-sport. They're starting to become a lot more affordable. Plus I don't mind holding on to my wagon at all. I kind of don't want to let it go actually :dunno: If only it was a 540.. and somehow ended up with a 6spd transplant lol
My son wanted a stick more than he wanted a wagon and short of finding someone who's done a swap he ended up with a sedan because 2.5L just wasn't enough. He is definitely itching to swap the 5 speed for a 6 though.

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
My son wanted a stick more than he wanted a wagon and short of finding someone who's done a swap he ended up with a sedan because 2.5L just wasn't enough. He is definitely itching to swap the 5 speed for a 6 though.
Haha I think that's where I stand as well.. But I think I'll wait it out, and continue to use the wagon as a pimping grocery getter and baby transorter :rofl: That's the main reason I settled for a wagon to begin with. Family is growing and I refuse to get a van (just yet :eeps:) and an SUV is too large for my taste, so I settled with the wagon.

I'll likely just wait and buy my toy car in the next year so I have both. One for show, and one for GO. Who knows :dunno:

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Not sure who knows FastBob...his wife had to get a mass removed from her brain and I'm guessing insurance doesn't cover enough so he had to put up his pristine low mileage E46 ZHP.
Anyway, smolck started a gofundme and there is s thread about all this in the E46 forum.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear! I've seen his posts over in the E46 (and E36 maybe?) section.

I would love a 2003 540iT M Sport, but I don't think those have come down in price since I was last looking. I've seen some affordable sedans recently though.
Manual swap would be a requirement for a wagon... ideally I'd eventually find one that was already done, but what's one more swap... I've already done two, and have a third planned for my new 940.

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
ideally I'd eventually find one that was already done, but what's one more swap... I've already done two, and have a third planned for my new 940.
Tbh I get very intimidated with the e39 6spd swap due to all the electronic coding and such.. The mechanical swap is not a problem at all, but I'm still getting introduced to all the electronic gizmo's and modding.

I'm no newb to swaps as I did 4 E36 Auto > Manual swaps in my teens, as well as 2 m50 swaps into e30's. I love swapping things, but I back off when it comes to electrical work.

That's what turns me away from doing a 6spd swap in the e39 :(

·
What Speed Limit?
2,182 Posts
Haven't got around to pics of the car. Mother nature didn't want to cooperate when I had free time. I'll get to them eventually. Had some time to give the car a more thorough look over. Not surprisingly, my headlight adjusters are shot. The xenon low beams themselves look pretty tired. I could replace the adjusters and replace the bulbs. But since the car is a 10/2002 build. The lights most likely can't be opened. Well I mean they CAN be opened but it's a more involved surgery that I'm not really up for. Probably going to source a set of the euro lights for a cleaner look soon. I don't do much night driving anyways, so it's not a real rush.

Sent from Uranus with Love

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Tbh I get very intimidated with the e39 6spd swap due to all the electronic coding and such.. The mechanical swap is not a problem at all, but I'm still getting introduced to all the electronic gizmo's and modding.

I'm no newb to swaps as I did 4 E36 Auto > Manual swaps in my teens, as well as 2 m50 swaps into e30's. I love swapping things, but I back off when it comes to electrical work.

That's what turns me away from doing a 6spd swap in the e39 :(
I haven't looked to far into the electronic end of the swap, but I know several people have done the swap, so it couldn't be TOO bad.
For example, my V70R runs Bosch Motronic 7, which is much more complex than the older Motronic 4.4 (used in 1998 models). It's a lot more particular about modules being coded to the VIN and whatnot, and all that car required was a tune that included converting the software to recognize a manual transmission. I also had to wire in the reverse light switch as well as jump a starter signal wire from the neutral switch so it would let me crank it without the park/neutral safety switch installed.
So far I have about 3500 miles on the swap and it's doing well! I just flashed the updated version of the tune today (I have a stage 1) and it's pretty quick... peaks at 17 PSI but I need to figure out why it's taking so long to spool up the turbo. I feel like there's still a small boost leak that I've missed.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Pro tip: Plug in your Tesla S when clocking off, lest you run out of juice mid hot pursuit.
... Lol
:rofl: That was too funny. Somebody wasn't thinking there!

·
Registered
449 Posts
...took forever to get back. Amazing how a 1 hour flight, is a 9 hour drive! Sent from Uranus with Love
It doesn't have to be a 9 hour drive. Get a RADAR detector and LAZER jammer. Lol...

·
Registered
4,631 Posts

·
What Speed Limit?
2,182 Posts
It doesn't have to be a 9 hour drive. Get a RADAR detector and LAZER jammer. Lol...
You could cut down at LEAST an hour or two! Lol
Well it would've been much faster if it didn't take me 2.5 hours just to get OUT of Sacramento. Traffic was an absolute cluster f***k! An from Redding to pretty much the rest of the way back to Portland, there were so many damn 50mph construction zones. Lot of them were down to a single lane at one point so I got stuck behind many super slow semi trucks. It was ridiculous.

I just got the car too, didn't want to risk getting a speeding ticket right off the bat trying to rush back. Not to mention I had so many douchbags trying to race me. One guy in a charger kept honking and signaling me to go. But I didn't. He gave me the bird and raced off....only to see him pulled over awhile later down the road lol.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Well it would've been much faster if it didn't take me 2.5 hours just to get OUT of Sacramento. Traffic was an absolute cluster f***k! An from Redding to pretty much the rest of the way back to Portland, there were so many damn 50mph construction zones. Lot of them were down to a single lane at one point so I got stuck behind many super slow semi trucks. It was ridiculous.

I just got the car too, didn't want to risk getting a speeding ticket right off the bat trying to rush back. Not to mention I had so many douchbags trying to race me. One guy in a charger kept honking and signaling me to go. But I didn't. He gave me the bird and raced off....only to see him pulled over awhile later down the road lol.

Lol silly Dodge...

12041 - 12060 of 13409 Posts