Bimmerfest BMW banner

13241 - 13260 of 13411 Posts

·
What Speed Limit?
2,185 Posts
I'm just glad it wasn't something along the lines of having to replace some massive wire harness or control module that would've been over a grand in cost.

Happy that's all sorted and can now move on to the next item that's been pissing me off...the sunroof!

Once again though like everything else, it's going to take extra time to get to me. Probably 2-3 weeks. Also is standard no rush delivery because any faster service would've been way too expensive due to it's size.

Sent from Uranus with Love.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,185 Posts
Well I know why the headrest motors didn't work. You know how when I redid the seat cables back in April, I switched the backrest when reinstalling the seats because the drivers side frame was all messed up from the seat twist? Well it turns out I needed to swap the headrest motors too because they aren't quite the same. The drivers side has three wires going into it because of the seat memory function while the passenger side has only two.

When I finally replaced that original twisted frame on the passenger seat earlier this week with that good conditioned used one. I kept the orginal headrest motor from it before tossing the frame out. So all I had to do was go out to the car. Remove the headrest and backrest cover, unplug the wrong motor, carefully remove it, reinstall the correct motor, tested it, put it all back together and BOOM. Problem solved, another nice simple fix.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
That was surprisingly easy! Good thing you didn't toss the other motor!

There's a reason I hoard parts like I do. I just tossed a bunch of intercooler hoses that were pretty nasty and oil soaked, but in tact. Literally 3 days later, I noticed a torn hose on my V70R... and wouldn't ya know it, one of the hoses I tossed was one that I needed! Good thing the junkyard had one.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,185 Posts
Can't really hoard parts due to lack of space. I don't do used rubber hosing though because there's no guarantee it'll last any longer. I'd just get a new one and be done with it.

Recently joined the E39 Owners group page on facebook. While it's nice to see there are still plenty of E39's on the roads. It's not so nice to see what some of their owners have done to them. Don't get me wrong, there are some great cars that were modded beautifully and awesome looking. But they are greatly outnumbered by guys who have no sense of the phrase "good taste". I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but damn some of those guys absolutely ruined their cars with ridiculous paint jobs and that god awful stance look.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Can't really hoard parts due to lack of space. I don't do used rubber hosing though because there's no guarantee it'll last any longer. I'd just get a new one and be done with it.

Recently joined the E39 Owners group page on facebook. While it's nice to see there are still plenty of E39's on the roads. It's not so nice to see what some of their owners have done to them. Don't get me wrong, there are some great cars that were modded beautifully and awesome looking. But they are greatly outnumbered by guys who have no sense of the phrase "good taste". I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but damn some of those guys absolutely ruined their cars with ridiculous paint jobs and that god awful stance look.

Oh there are some hideous E39s out there... it's sad to see them.

Normally I'd replace it with a new one, but this is a temporary fix for a split. I'll be upgrading all of it eventually with larger silicone/stainless intercooler piping when I install the larger turbo.
As for my 940... that's gotta be done even sooner. 30 year old oil saturated intercooler couplers don't hold up well!
Still trying to diagnose a rough idle and hesitation on acceleration with that car. It's driving me nuts... when that started, I took it as a sign that I should go ahead and swap the head and install my cam. Did all that work, set the valve lash with some fresh shims, plenty of other refresh work... and it runs exactly the same! I don't even know what else to do now... compression numbers are the same as before the hesitation started (little low on cylinder 1 (120), but the other 3 are 160ish PSI) perfectly spotless IACV, clean throttle body, new cap, rotor, wires, plugs, swapped the coil, swapped the ignition power stage, injectors, no vacuum leaks to be found (all hoses are new) and PLENTY of other things I know I'm forgetting. I've done everything short of rebuilding the bottom end of the engine lol.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,185 Posts
Oh there are some hideous E39s out there... it's sad to see them.

Normally I'd replace it with a new one, but this is a temporary fix for a split. I'll be upgrading all of it eventually with larger silicone/stainless intercooler piping when I install the larger turbo.
As for my 940... that's gotta be done even sooner. 30 year old oil saturated intercooler couplers don't hold up well!
Still trying to diagnose a rough idle and hesitation on acceleration with that car. It's driving me nuts... when that started, I took it as a sign that I should go ahead and swap the head and install my cam. Did all that work, set the valve lash with some fresh shims, plenty of other refresh work... and it runs exactly the same! I don't even know what else to do now... compression numbers are the same as before the hesitation started (little low on cylinder 1 (120), but the other 3 are 160ish PSI) perfectly spotless IACV, clean throttle body, new cap, rotor, wires, plugs, swapped the coil, swapped the ignition power stage, injectors, no vacuum leaks to be found (all hoses are new) and PLENTY of other things I know I'm forgetting. I've done everything short of rebuilding the bottom end of the engine lol.
Yeah and I like how I can't find a good set of 65 wheels because those same idiots are hoarding them up for their low end 525i's and that.

You do any other work on the fuel system besides the injectors? Can't think of much other than check everything over, check for bad grounds blah blah blah lol. I know rough idle and acceleration hesitation is a pain to sort regardless of car.

Got my reproduction window sticker in from Stuttgart Studios. Went for the laminated copy at $145 with 2 day shipping for $160 total. It's alot, but very detailed, high quality and I think totally worth it since you can't get reproductions from BMW. 20200813_164317.jpg

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Yeah and I like how I can't find a good set of 65 wheels because those same idiots are hoarding them up for their low end 525i's and that.

You do any other work on the fuel system besides the injectors? Can't think of much other than check everything over, check for bad grounds blah blah blah lol. I know rough idle and acceleration hesitation is a pain to sort regardless of car.

Got my reproduction window sticker in from Stuttgart Studios. Went for the laminated copy at $145 with 2 day shipping for $160 total. It's alot, but very detailed, high quality and I think totally worth it since you can't get reproductions from BMW. View attachment 904277

That's really cool!

I replaced both fuel pumps (it has an in-tank lift pump and an in-line), sock, and filter. I checked the fuel pressure today, and it's better than before I replaced the pumps... dead on 42 PSI with the FPR vac line disconnected. The only problem is the Delphi inline pump I bought is LOUD. I'm gonna have to just break down and spend the $100 on a Bosch. I know that whine will drive me insane soon enough.
I did actually find a loose ground for the alternator today while I was cleaning the IACV, but that made no difference of course.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Got my reproduction window sticker in from Stuttgart Studios. Went for the laminated copy at $145 with 2 day shipping for $160 total. It's alot, but very detailed, high quality and I think totally worth it since you can't get reproductions from BMW. View attachment 904277

That is pretty badass. A little expensive but nice looking. Might have to do that with an extra paper copy.

2001 750iL DD74441
E65 fan & clutch, E65 headrests, Front First Aid Kit, Ultimate Cup holder

2005 X5 4.8is LE82680
Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

·
What Speed Limit?
2,185 Posts
Crappy pics due to bright new bulbs and s**tty phone camera .

But before
20200813_210024.jpg

And after
20200813_210443.jpg

·
What Speed Limit?
2,185 Posts
Went through all the receipts for stuff on the car in the almost 11 months I've had it.

Total so far........wow........and ouch!!

Had no idea I've spent THAT much.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Have you doubled what you paid for it yet? :rofl:

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Ah, you're fine then. Once you double the purchase price is when to start getting concerned!

·
What Speed Limit?
2,185 Posts
That'd be over 30 grand at that point...which could be possible if I had a shop or dealer do all the work lol.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
My brother and I did a thing today...

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
That's gorgeous, would love to have that!That an E34 M?

Nah, just a 525i. We went and checked it out yesterday and he paid for it, then one of his coworkers helped us tow it home today. $500 with a cracked oil pan that happened during transit back and forth to a shop to diagnose a no-start condition.
I put some JB Weld Steel stick on the cracks so I can fill some oil and compression test it. The shop told him it sounded like it wasn't making any compression, but they never actually tested it. I'm hoping the battery will charge up (was tested good a month ago, now it's a 7 volts... yikes) and I can compression test it to see if it's worth swapping the oil pan and getting it running, or just sourcing another M50.

It's a really clean car though, hellrot is an awesome color on these! Clean taupe vinyl interior, still has that awesome old Bimmer smell!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Got the E34 running! Fortunately I was able to save the battery. I was surprised, it was only at 4 volts when we got the car home. Charged it all day yesterday and it held at 12.6v when I checked it this morning. Slapped more JB weld on the oil pan (still actively dripping... oh well, this was temporary anyway), filled her up with some cheap $9.97/gallon 15w40 Walmart heavy duty diesel oil and cranked it. No compression!

Did a leakdown on cylinder 1. It was at 80% (yikes) but I couldn't hear air from anywhere. Weird.

Dropped a little oil in each cylinder, went from 30 PSI to 90 PSI in cylinder 1. I added Marvel Mystery Oil to the rest of them, let it sit a few minutes, then cranked it over without the fuel pump fuse. Checked again, and got it up to 130 PSI on cylinder 1. I'm sure it's even higher now, but you could hear a HUGE difference! At first, it sounded so bad that I didn't think the starter was even engaging. Scared the hell out of me when I saw that the engine was actually spinning over! Now it cranks really healthy.

Anyway, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start at this point. It puffed a little on starting fluid, but there was no power to the fuel pump. Checked the fuse, it was a 25 amp. Swapped it to the proper 15 amp. Then I ran to O'Reilly for a fuel pump relay, since I didn't feel it clicking on. Turned out it was fine, but I still didn't have voltage at the fuse.

Then it occurred to me... the ignition tumbler is shot, and we were starting with a screwdriver on the ignition switch. Didn't have the key in the ignition... as I was browsing RealOEM for a PN for the ignition tumbler, I realized that there's a cutoff in 10/1994 for EWS 2. Duh! It's not gonna get fuel if EWS doesn't recognize a key! Popped in the key, and it started right up.

The seller told us about a whine, it sounds like just a pulley. He thought it was the alternator, but that didn't fix it. Then he said it seemed to lose compression after sitting and after a shop looked at it. Seems the cylinders were just washed down with fuel and that caused the rings to lose their seal.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,185 Posts
Good ol craigslist browsing...

Ah yes the "I know what I got" moron. And he has a lien meaning he can't afford it so he's trying to get more than what he owes.
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/sherwood-2011-bmw-328i-awd-45k-miles-obo/7179460902.html

Gorgeous car. I get it's a rarer manual with pretty low miles for a 2001. Price is too high for me though.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/2001-bmw-330ci-convertible-5spd-manual/7179488219.html

A S62 powered E31 840i. I think he should keep it and finish the car. Make a killing if he got it right
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/d/portland-rare-1995-bmw-840ci-m5-swapped/7179421873.html

I would seriously consider buying this if I had the extra car space and save it.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-2003-bmw-530i-sort-pkg-149k/7178799224.html

Are you looking to over compensate for your small package? Do you want to score with your sister or cousin? Well we have got the truck for you!
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/d/gladstone-2018-gmc-3500-crew-cab-denali/7171158884.html

13241 - 13260 of 13411 Posts