BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

14221 - 14240 of 14346 Posts

·
What Speed Limit?
2,547 Posts
Placed another order from FCP lol. Got new knock sensors. I know it's extremely rare for them to fail. However I do wonder about the fragility of the wiring due to years of engine heat exposure? Since I'll have the area all torn apart replacing the leaking heat exchanger o-rings. Figure I'll replace the knock sensors anyways while I'm in there.

Also ordered a new drivers side valve cover gasket. It's not leaking, but I want to redo it anyways so they have both been redone and repaint both covers so they don't look all worn. Also ordered some new vacuum hose lines, vacuum control valve and air injection check valve.

Earlier today I drained a little bit of oil for Blackstone analysis. Will drain the rest of the oil when I sort the heat exchanger since there will be a chance of some coolant getting in the oil. Hence why I took the sample now.

Tomorrow though is the big day. Finally going to do the brakes and clutch hydraulics system overhaul. Also going to attempt to do something with the wheels so they don't look so crappy. Really don't feel like paying a wheel shop to redo them at this time. But I thought of an alternative that might work...key word "might" lol.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Believe it or not, the knock sensors on my M50 are disintegrating. I've never actually seen one fail, but these will definitely need to be replaced! I found that while I was tearing down everything else on it yesterday... this refresh will be a slow project I work on when I feel like it lol. I can't stand clutter, so I don't want everything scattered around the garage.

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
204 Posts
Aw, cmon y’all. The garage should be stacked with present and future plans. My garage has been posted here with piles of FCP cartons, lol. Right now I need to drain the 39 cooling system, replace radiator/shroud/fan since I had to refill the system with tap water at the NC/TN border on I-40 a week ago. My recycle and garbage bins are full of FCP boxes and I have more in wait in the garage. It’s just a way of life. Enjoy it! Shroud and fan are “while I am in there”. The radiator is the main goal and the tap water/no coolant condition means I have to drain everything, which is fine.

The e46 is good, the e30 is down with heater valve/core issues. My next project if the damn ships in Long Beach get processed (work/business reasons) is to get the 30 sorted too. Juggling 3 20+year old cars is fun! Never a dull moment. The dang 30 is 32 years old!

When I was in high school I graduated in ‘89. My dad bought me a ‘53 Chevy pickup with the straight 6 and three on the tree and the 6V system, vac wipers. My first vehicle was 34 years old when I got behind the wheel. My current e30 is 32 years old. The difference is VAST! 6V system, push button start next to the throttle, massive voltage regulators, three on the tree, no seat belts, one little tail light, parts readily available at NAPA.

These M20/M52 engines are just fabulous. I am still not sure about the M54, I think my 20 and 52 both feel better and sound better and pull harder. The gearing difference between the 39 and 30 makes the decision harder. Gearing between the 39 and 46 with the M54 is close, but I think the M52 might still pull harder (2.8 vs 2.5 maybe?).

Just rambling, sorry y’all.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I love all of the M50/52/54s, they're awesome engines. I really wish my 528 had more power, but there are a couple small things I can do to free up the sluggishness. The fan clutch drags a little more than I'd like, and the fact that it's automatic probably hurts it in the sense that it revs slower than I'd like. It just has so much drag... slow to rev and slow to return to idle. The M54B30 in my dad's X3 was nothing like that. That had plenty of pickup, and actually felt kinda quick.
Between an e-fan and manual swap, that should really help free it up. Then I can look into other stuff. I also need to redo the vanos, that will help low end power a bit. It's been about 120k since the seals were done, but it's now time for the rattle kit too.

·
Wingnut
4,209 Posts
if the vanos on an m52tub isnt doing its job correctly. rebuilding it will provide more than just a bit of low end power

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,226 ·
Ill need to do the valve cover gaskets on my 540 again in the near future. Ill also need to do do the fuel filter. It has about 150k on it now, so who knows how restrictive it is. Always adding things to the list

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
if the vanos on an m52tub isnt doing its job correctly. rebuilding it will provide more than just a bit of low end power
Definitely. It also has a slightly rough idle on cold start, with the same hiccup that it had years ago when I first redid the vanos.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,547 Posts
Got started a little late today on the brake overhaul. All the calipers and caliper brackets are removed from the car. Used a small metal pipe jammed between the brake pedal and seat frame to keep brake fluid from dripping out. Cut the old brake hoses and unbolted the calipers. Boy it was actually scary on how EASY it was to cut those old rubber hoses. Like snapping a twig, literally no effort at all. Good thing I'm replacing them.

Calipers look like they were painted black at some point years ago. Going to tear them down and take them to work tomorrow and use the parts washer to clean them. Caliper pistons not surprisingly are all rusty. Got new ones anyways, so all good in that department.
20210604_221743.jpg

Rear pads had plenty of life left.
20210604_221816.jpg

Driver front pads were still pretty good too.
20210604_221826.jpg

However the front passenger side...barely anything left lolol.
20210604_221832.jpg

Weirdly this is actually really fun to do. Don't know why, but eh whatever lol.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Sand blast and powder coat the carriers and calipers. The brake dust will clean off of them much easier plus they will look better too.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,230 ·
Sand blast and powder coat the carriers and calipers. The brake dust will clean off of them much easier plus they will look better too.
Brake dust just adds character!

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,348 Posts
...However the front passenger side...barely anything left lolol.
View attachment 1033301
That's funny, I look at those and think at least another 10k.
Something is wrong though considering how thick the drivers side is.

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,234 ·
Got started a little late today on the brake overhaul. All the calipers and caliper brackets are removed from the car. Used a small metal pipe jammed between the brake pedal and seat frame to keep brake fluid from dripping out. Cut the old brake hoses and unbolted the calipers. Boy it was actually scary on how EASY it was to cut those old rubber hoses. Like snapping a twig, literally no effort at all. Good thing I'm replacing them.

Calipers look like they were painted black at some point years ago. Going to tear them down and take them to work tomorrow and use the parts washer to clean them. Caliper pistons not surprisingly are all rusty. Got new ones anyways, so all good in that department.
View attachment 1033298

Rear pads had plenty of life left.
View attachment 1033299

Driver front pads were still pretty good too.
View attachment 1033300

However the front passenger side...barely anything left lolol.
View attachment 1033301

Weirdly this is actually really fun to do. Don't know why, but eh whatever lol.
You should put some brass caliper bushings in while the calipers are off.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Repeated the block drain with my stubby 7/8” wrench on the O2 sensor, also the 24mm to get the block drain, radiator out, tomorrow will be rad in (should be fun considering the pain the ass to get the old one out) and new shroud/fan. The shroud is easy, damn rad will be interesante. Anyway, new rad, shroud, fan, coolant (again) along with the recent stat/hoses/pump. Should be good to go for a while.

Still have a shudder at WOT in low gears. Might need driveshaft work next.

Refill/bleed, on to Pinehurst Monday.

These damn ads eff up my posts almost every 20 seconds.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Well I tried to change the upper B pillar trim on the driver side finally, since I had a piece sitting around. Then I learn that there are two different styles of upper fasteners... my car has two tabs that slide upward. The replacement I had has a round clip. Ugh... now I need to track down a good beige piece that has the right clip. Easier said than done... almost every one you find has peeling fabric.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,547 Posts
Tore apart and cleaned the pistons. Just normal degreaser until sand blasting. However while looking them over, THREE of the calipers have bad pitting all over the inside of the piston bores. Means I have to source new ones...son of a b***h!!

·
What Speed Limit?
2,547 Posts
That's funny, I look at those and think at least another 10k.
Something is wrong though considering how thick the drivers side is.

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant
Caliper was sticking hence why the passenger side pads are so thin. Also there is a lot of corrosion in the caliper bore.

You should put some brass caliper bushings in while the calipers are off.
I've heard brass bushings need to be lubricated often? Seems like a real annoyance on a car that already pisses me off on a daily basis lolol.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,239 ·
Caliper was sticking hence why the passenger side pads are so thin. Also there is a lot of corrosion in the caliper bore.

I've heard brass bushings need to be lubricated often? Seems like a real annoyance on a car that already pisses me off on a daily basis lolol.
Ive had my brass bushings in about 4 years now and just re greased the guide pins 2 weeks ago when I did the brakes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Got my new radiator/shroud/fan in, glad to have the car back on the road.

What’s that air quality thing on the shroud do? Tried a quick search, nothing came up.

14221 - 14240 of 14346 Posts