BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

14241 - 14260 of 14346 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What’s that air quality thing on the shroud do? Tried a quick search, nothing came up.

The AUC sensor is for the climate control to keep pollution outside the car. It works when you have the re-circulated air button pressed on the climate control panel.
Also known as a stink sensor.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,547 Posts
Good lord. Borrowing the sister's Xterra while the M5 is down for the brake stuff. And wouldn't you know it, the power steering pump on it crapped out! Not too expensive of a part to replace, though a little bit of a pain in the ass from what I read on the Xterra forums.

Feeling like a jinx or curse right now with cars lol.

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
204 Posts
Thanks blue. It’s funny, and it’s in tact after the shroud swap.

Next query, what’s the plastic thing in the radiator? A button that shreds rad fins when you yank it out? Says 4 on it.

New rad does not have it. I did swap pads, sensor, and that “air quality meter”.

By the way, when my old rad broke I never got a “coolant low” alarm. Where is that sensor? I don’t think I have found a level sensor yet and I have replaced everything outside of the internal HVAC items.

My top rad connection broke with new tstat, housing, hoses, pump, tank. I watched my coolant spray out the front grill at 70MPH when the rad top hose broke. I may have torqued the hose clamp too tight, my fault. I am still at a loss where the low coolant alarm comes from. The e30 and e46 are clear as day, not sure about this M50 e39. It’s a ‘98 528.

I never got an alert that said low coolant level and there are no sensors that I have seen unless it’s the brass thing that mounts top left (facing the car). I thought that was a temp sensor. I drove 150 miles with rest area sink water to get home. Every time I drove the car after the expansion tank was empty after cool down I filled with coolant, the main thing for me is, what does the low coolant alarm look like? Is it an internal code that does not flash on the dash? I have a cable but not a Windows 10 laptop yet. Moved on years ago, not so easy to go back......

TL;DR where is the low coolant sensor? M50/52 single vanos?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The expansion tank would have an electrical connector on the bottom if your car came equipped with the low coolant warning system, I have an M52TUB2.8 and I do not have the low coolant warning system in my car. I was sent an incorrect expansion tank at one time with that female connector at the bottom and sent it back of course. I think if you have the "Low Cluster" readout on the dash then you won't have the low coolant warning system, "High Cluster" readout on the dash will have the low coolant warning system, someone correct me if I am wrong.

My radiator is different than yours so I cannot speak to the shredding of fins when removing the radiator nor the item with a #4 on it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good lord. Borrowing the sister's Xterra while the M5 is down for the brake stuff. And wouldn't you know it, the power steering pump on it crapped out! Not too expensive of a part to replace, though a little bit of a pain in the ass from what I read on the Xterra forums.

Feeling like a jinx or curse right now with cars lol.

The more we dive, the more we notice/fix. It’s a curse that grows. My wife has a ‘17 Escape sport, had to figure out the electronic e brake and do pads. I may be dumb, but I have never seen electronic e brake until 2 years ago. Works great, not fun if it kind of goes against everything you know about e brakes.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Yup, only 528s with the high OBC had the coolant level sensor. Mine has a spot in the cluster for one, but there's no bulb and no sensor or wiring in my car. I found it kind of odd, since my brother's '95 525i has one. I actually just bypassed it today since I've replaced the sensor twice, and it still has a low coolant message. I checked the sensor, and it's definitely working. My easy solution was to jump the wires to each other... no need for a low coolant warning lol.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,547 Posts
Got my order in from FCP. New knock sensors, plenum cover gasket, driver side valve cover gasket, vacuum hosing, vacuum control valve, and Audi/VW strut mount bushing....wait what?!

Yep they sent me a Corteco strut mount bushing for late 90's to mid 2000's Audi TT and VW Golf, Jetta and Beetle. And also I'm missing the air injection check valve. How the hell did that happen? Someone clearly wasn't paying attention lol.

Emailed them about the snafu little while ago. Luckily I've never had an issue with FCP customer service. So I know they'll sort it right. Though I would be annoyed if I had to ship that bushing back with my own money. Maybe I'll send it back to them when I send back the old valve cover gaskets for warranty claim lol.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Those kinds of screw ups are rare from FCP, but I’ve had them happen! Their customer service is the best so they’ll make it right.
I just placed a big order the other day. Well, expensive... not too big. $300 rack for the V70R with a $200 core... ouch! Then some other random parts because we always need a ton of random small stuff. I can’t wait to get that car back together and just be done working on it. Hell, I don’t even work on it much. It just sits on the driveway because I honestly prefer driving the E39... even with the slush box, extra weight, and significantly less power. It just handles so much better. I’m going to change that soon though with some rear suspension work though. Meaning the whole FWD rear suspension is going in, since the car is no longer AWD anyway. It’ll cut a good couple hundred pounds and improve handling... what more could you want?

New front tires arrived yesterday, so now the E39 is on 42s up front and 66s in the rear. It looks pretty hilarious. My brother will mount the new tires on the front 66s tomorrow. I can’t wait for a smooth ride finally!

·
Wingnut
4,209 Posts
its called the AUC sensor....it senses hydrocarbons in its local environment and automatically switches the IKHA to recirculate mode if one has the auto mode selected

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I just finally read into what the auto recirc function actually does last week. Pretty cool system. I'm sure the AUC sensor in my car doesn't love that it's caked in grease lol. I had to clean the hell out of it when I replaced the fan shroud a few months ago.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the info, I too am finding this system interesting. I’ll turn it on and see if anything happens but I’m pretty sure it will just recirc all the time due to the heat/summer in SC, unlikely if I ever know if that sensor triggers it.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,547 Posts
Yeah, the missing part was sent out today. Should be in Friday. Not really a rush since I'm stuck waiting for new calipers to come in. Then need to get them sand blasted and powder coated. Car is going to be sitting for at least another couple weeks.

The new power steering pump came in for the Xterra today. Going to replace it tomorrow. I'm so not looking forward to doing it. Looks to be a pain in the ass. Probably have to remove the battery and the upper radiator hose to get enough room to remove the thing. Going to flush the system first though so the old fluid won't get into the new pump.

Still need to replace the power steering pump and pressure hose on my car. Nothing wrong with it, but want to do it for preventative. And also before the pressure hose becomes way too expensive. It's already a ripoff around $230 or something like that. But who knows how long before BMW doubles it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, price the e30 oil cooler lines, I just deleted it with the eta setup.

Look at this.

The new roundel magazine.

My car….

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I'm still trying to decide if the whining I'm hearing is my alternator or power steering pump. I'll have to check on that soon.

Got the new tires on, and it drives SOOO much better. I can finally drive on the highway with no noise or vibration.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,547 Posts
Nothing new to report on the M5. Just rotting in the driveway until the calipers are sorted lol.

Got the power steering pump replaced on the Xterra. Wasn't too bad actually. Took about 2 hrs. Helps to remove the front right wheel and pull the pump out through there when unbolted. Little fiddly getting the bolt holes lined up. Put everything back together, topped off coolant and steering fluid. And fired it up.

Still squealed at first. Obviously your supposed to lift the front of the vehicle to help bleed the system. But my jack stands are too short and had nothing to put under them to help. So I just turned the wheels while on the ground. Procedure calls for like 40 turns. Think I did half that lol.

Took it out for a drive and after a little bit, the squealing stopped. Steering feel firmed up nicely too. Certain there's still some air in the system, because it'll squeal a little if you turn the wheel while parked. I'll get it sorted here before the end of the day. As for now, just nice not hearing that obnoxious noise anymore while driving.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Decided to drop the subframe on my V70R today and finally change the rack. I don't know why I put it off so long, it's really not bad. Took about 2 hours working here and there throughout the day. I think the worst part will be lining everything back up. The engine and trans are being supported by the engine support bar for now. Hopefully the rack will get here tomorrow, it's been sitting at a FedEx facility about 25 minutes away from me for the past 2 days. Typical FedEx...

·
What Speed Limit?
2,547 Posts
Ugh, FCP sent the wrong part out again. I need the air check valve, not the control valve. Now I have to nag them again. So annoying...

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
How do you have such bad luck with that? Lol

·
What Speed Limit?
2,547 Posts
More like how hard is it to send the correct part? I gave them the correct part number each time, even added a pic in the emails. Someone must be really brain dead over there.

14241 - 14260 of 14346 Posts