BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

14261 - 14280 of 14346 Posts

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,248 Posts
Hi folks!

I know Ryan of E39Source has had some similar issues with FCP Euro lately; wrong parts, 1 instead of 6, that sort of thing. I think they're trying to get a west coast warehouse going to reduce shipping times for us in the Golden State. Maybe related to that? Dunno.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Hey Nate, nice of you to pop in!

With their level of sales lately, I think they definitely need another warehouse. Hopefully they can keep the same level of inventory at both though, it’s annoying ordering from other places where I get like 4 different shipments for 10 items.
One of my Volvo forum (and E83 forum) buddies stopped in at FCP last time he was in the area, and got a full tour and they got to talking about sales. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but it was insane... tens of thousands of dollars a day in sales.
I‘m honestly impressed that they keep up as well as they do, but errors are becoming more frequent. Hopefully they can fix that, because it’s annoying when parts you’re expecting are missing from an order... and you’ve already torn the car down. That’s usually how I do things, so it’s just a little inconvenient lol.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Yes, hi Nate, don’t remember seeing you here before, but you do have a ton os posts.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,348 Posts
Hey welcome back Nate! Covid keep you locked up this past year or are you just too busy on the M5 board for us? How's that thing running for you?

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,248 Posts
Yes, hi Nate, don’t remember seeing you here before, but you do have a ton os posts.
This is where I started on BMW forums, haha.

Hey welcome back Nate! Covid keep you locked up this past year or are you just too busy on the M5 board for us? How's that thing running for you?

Not even on the M5 Board much these days. Mostly the M5 Owners Group on Facebook. Talk about some school kid drama, though...

Anyways. The M5 is running great, but it's about to go down for major rust repairs. I have a post on Bimmerforums regarding the issues. I'm currently searching for a great body shop to complete the repairs.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I’ll have to check out your thread, I need to take care of a bit of rust on my E30 too. I called a body shop a few weeks ago, but he never got back to me. I never followed up either, but I’ve been busy anyway. I’ll call him back when I wrap up some other projects... which will turn into more... so if I’m on schedule, it’ll work out to be around never 😂

Finished up replacing the tension struts and ball joints on the E83 for the new owner earlier today. Those ball joints were seized into the spindles pretty badly! A flat tipped bit on my air hammer knocked them out no problem from the top once I pulled the CV axles out. Lots of write ups show using screwdrivers or chisels, but that wasn’t doing jack. A generous amount of PB blaster soaking on them overnight probably helped... I wore myself out yesterday, so I think the time it had to soak worked out.
The new BJs slid in pretty easily while tightening down the bolts. Very much the opposite of the BJs on my brother’s Volvo S60, which are a similar style. The flanges are trash though, they bent way before it pops into the spindle. Too easy to destroy them.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,547 Posts
This is where I started on BMW forums, haha.

Not even on the M5 Board much these days. Mostly the M5 Owners Group on Facebook. Talk about some school kid drama, though...
Not kidding. It's been pretty juvenile on there lately. Kind've embarrassing really, but I just ignore it...

Haven't been on M5board, Bimmerforums, even here a whole lot since I deleted the tapatalk app. Couldn't stand the autoplay ads anymore.

Glad to know your going to get the rust sorted. I got my "new" calipers in from Adam and Mikhail today. Going to get them sand blasted and powder coated next week. Then I can finally get around to finishing the brake system overhaul.

And then right after that. Get to tear down the top half of the engine to sort the leaking heat exchanger...oh joy lol.

·
6,348 Posts
Is rust a real problem in California? My dad's Silverado like everything else here in Michigan is losing the fight against rust. A neighbor that I grew up with mentioned a place out by Jackson where he took his truck, cost him about $2k to replace the whole piece from the wheel well to the rear corner (crew cab) and it looks like new. I still call it my dad's truck although it is in my mom's name since he passed away a couple years ago, she is planning on replacing it with a smaller SUV as soon as I'm done using it so the rust will be someone elses problem.. Not sure how much he works on BMW's though.

I get that popup about upgrading tapatalk to pro to get rid of the ads but is it really ad free? Unfortunately I always use the app now because I can't get here on a PC from work and at home the phone is just way more convenient than logging into the laptop and rushing through before the battery dies...or I fall asleep.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Rushing before the battery dies... I hear that one. I’ve replaced my laptop battery like 3-4 times now, and it still gives me an hour at best. I usually rush on that, then just switch to my iPad unless I’m sitting at the table and can plug it in. Then at that point, the screaming fan drives me nuts. My laptop is 7 years old now, it may be time for a new one.
I love my iPad though, sooo much faster than my laptop and it’s bigger than my phone so I can actually get things done. Since the update on the forum software, the mobile sites are so much better, so I usually use those if I’m on my phone.

I think he got his M5 from Ohio or somewhere in that general vicinity IIRC, so that would explain the rust.

·
Wingnut
4,209 Posts
I thought i remembering his purchasing it in the Chicago area, but i could be way out in left field on that. same environment though....

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Matt, I think Nate got his M5 from that area, if not the Chicago area it might have been from MN or MI.

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
204 Posts
Got the e30 torn down for the heater core failure repair. My tiger chilling.

Interior.

Close up.

I “think” that the core was the issue. Steam from my vents, almost had to pull over, and the heater control valve looking like it was not the broken part, stain in carpet at the core inlet and the color of the plastic on the core. When it popped I had the A/C on and the fog was scary. The valve assembly is about $500, the core MUCH less. I know this isn’t an e30 forum and I will go to R3V to ask help too. Looks to me like I need a core and seals/o rings.

·
6,348 Posts
Now that everyone mentioned it I do recall the long trip posts to pick up the M5, but most people don't drive them in the winter so road salt shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
That looks like a ton of fun to access. The interior of my E30 is town down still, I almost want to replace the core for preventive maintenance while it’s apart. I won’t be running AC in the car, but heat is a must!

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
204 Posts
Bm, I was intimidated for sure but it actually wasn’t too bad to this point. Could easily be far worse.

No DIY I could find said to remove the driver seat, it’s just four bolts and a seat belt bolt. I can’t imagine doing this with the seat in the car.

BTW, any advice on cleaning the carpet and seat? I have a steamer I thought I might try.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
My favorite method for cleaning carpets is to vacuum it really well, then spray down any stains with Folex carpet cleaner (this stuff is amazing) and scrub it. Then pressure wash it. It seems to be the easiest way to thoroughly clean carpets. Just take s a while to clean off any traces of cleaner. If you have a Bissell type carpet cleaner, those work pretty well too. Steam is really good for breaking down stains.

I'll probably go ahead and order one since my interior is already apart. How bad could it be?

I know, famous last words 😂

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,279 ·

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I thought i remembering his purchasing it in the Chicago area, but i could be way out in left field on that. same environment though....
I believe it was Champaign, IL. or Normal, IL. that he purchased his M5.
One of those 2 college towns in Central Illinois.

14261 - 14280 of 14346 Posts