BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
14681 - 14700 of 14765 Posts

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
Got PA Soft installed and working on the new laptop. Turned off all the hot/cold checks for the turn lights, halos, and license plate lights. So thankfully no more flickering. Also turned off the annoying "Key in ignition" "Door open", and most obnoxious of all the damn "Washer fluid low" warning.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to test LED for the turn signal bulbs. I can't find my spares anywhwere. Was going to buy some new ones, but everybody is out of stock of the ones for our cars. Eh not a big deal. I'll get to it eventually.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
Got around to running VANOS test in DIS a little while ago.

How'd it go?....dammit!!
Computer Personal computer Output device Communication Device Peripheral

Computer Personal computer Output device Peripheral Computer monitor

Have to check over the solder joints. Then solenoid function themselves. Most likely it's the solder joints that are bad. Can't afford to replace the solenoids themselves. Even used sets go for $500 or more. And new ones are completely out of the question unless I win the lottery.

Hell I'd still feel violated paying for new solenoids if I was rich lol.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Oooh, that looks like fun! Not!

Hopefully the solder joints are the problem and it's a fairly easy repair.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
Going to re-clean the solenoids too. I used electrical cleaner on them last year to be safe. This time I'll try brake cleaner, heard it works better. Thought about the 14x parts cleaner, but that might be a little too risky on an electrical board. No doubt it'd get them cleaned out though lol. Try to get it done in the next few days or so.

·
Registered
'03 BMW 530i 5 Speed Sport.
97 Posts
Got PA Soft installed and working on the new laptop. Turned off all the hot/cold checks for the turn lights, halos, and license plate lights. So thankfully no more flickering. Also turned off the annoying "Key in ignition" "Door open", and most obnoxious of all the damn "Washer fluid low" warning.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to test LED for the turn signal bulbs. I can't find my spares anywhwere. Was going to buy some new ones, but everybody is out of stock of the ones for our cars. Eh not a big deal. I'll get to it eventually.
Where did you download PA Soft? I'd like to try to change my cluster on my own, potentially.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
The new Subaru WRX came out. Just looks awful. Front end looks like a base model crosstrek. And the rear end is literally a freaking Honda Civic! My god automotive designers just don't care anymore. They copy each other, then tweak it and thats it!

As for me. Ordered new genuine bmw vanos seals from FCP...ouch that hurt! Tested the solenoids themselves earlier and they all work fine. Tomorrow going to bring them to work to clean them using brake parts cleaner and compressed air. After that resolder all connections, re-test, then wait for the new seals to arrive Monday so I can put it all back together.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Oh yeah, they look horrible. Designer are so lazy now lol. Crossover styling for everything!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,689 ·
Im not a fan of any 2022 new car that is coming out, maybe Volvos or an Alpha if i had to choose something. Everything else really looks gaudy or like everything else on the road.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Yeah, most new cars are hideous. Although, the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing is gorgeous. And most importantly, it's manual!

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
Soaked the bottom half of the vanos solenoids overnight in brake parts cleaner. Pulled them out earlier an cleaned them up with some compressed air. Activated them using a 9v battery, and they sound so much better with a nice solid clicking sound.

And that brake parts cleaner fluid was clear before I put the parts in them...yuck!
Table Wood Tablecloth Jewellery Linens

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
316 Posts
That’s really nice man, I don’t know anything about V8 vanos but I know that my M52 and 54 vanos with new seals do not look that shiny. Btw, that’s a LOT of brake fluid, smells great.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
Well that was a total failure. Damn things are still clogged. Need to find something stronger to clean them. Might try that 14x cleaner or seafoam or whatever.

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
316 Posts
Was that the green brake fluid cleaner? I’ve never tried that stuff. If it doesn’t kill your skin it’s not going to work.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Nope, the regular red "bad" brake cleaner.
I'm surprised you can still get that over there lol. Might wanna try something like B12 Chemtool or Seafoam.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
It's Oregon not California. We're not THAT communistic...yet lol
It's coming unfortunately... hopefully it can be reversed!

Reactions: E30 e39 e46 owner

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Fixed it! I realized that the whole assembly can be pulled without removing the lens, so I just epoxied the lens to the housing. If I need to change the bulb, I can just cut into it and glue it back together. Easy enough! Worth the $100 savings! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14681 - 14700 of 14765 Posts