BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
14701 - 14720 of 14765 Posts

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
What the f**k??!! $400 for just the stupid regular black plastic b-pillars?! The non-black ones are $300 less! Even the leather wrapped ones are barely over $100 too!

Seriously what is this crack that BMW is smoking?
Fin Font Technology Parallel Logo

·
Registered
'03 BMW 530i 5 Speed Sport.
97 Posts
I removed my DME without disconnecting my battery first, I hope I didn't just mess something up. Should I disconnect my battery now while it's out? Or just leave everything as is?

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,636 Posts
I removed my DME without disconnecting my battery first, I hope I didn't just mess something up. Should I disconnect my battery now while it's out? Or just leave everything as is?
Yes disconnect the battery! Was the car at least asleep when you unplugged the DME?

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
New vanos o-rings didn't arrive yesterday. "Delivery pending" is all there is now on fedex tracking. However, it was last scanned here in Portland. So hopefully I'll get it today.

Still having a b***h of a time trying to get the solenoids clean. Might send them out to dr vanos if I can't make any progress.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Oh yeah, I've been waiting like a week for an FCP order. Freaking annoying... I hate FedEx smart post. Nothing smart about it!

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
I paid for next day air. So it better get here no later than tomorrow. If not, I'll get ahold of FCP and at least they'll refund the shipping charges.

Only thing that's been little worrying lately, is that I've been getting packages in partially damaged boxes regardless of who the shipper is. Luckily no damaged parts, but still...

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
316 Posts
I placed a big order from FCP late Sunday. Says delivery scheduled for 24-28SEP! It’s just a bunch of oil, filters, diff/trans fluid but there are a couple of e30 parts so I would bet that they have to come from Germany first. Anyway, I’ve never had to wait that long for the standard shipping.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Got some work done on the E30 today. I drove it into the garage yesterday (it's been sitting in the back yard for probably 8 months, hooked up a battery and it cranked right up!) and got back to cleaning up the interior. It's still gutted, so I went ahead and touched up some rust spots with some phosphoric acid-based Rustoleum rust dissolver gel. Then sanded it down a little (this stuff works really well!) and sprayed some black paint over it to protect it. No, it's not pretty, but it's under the carpet... I just care that it's not going to spread. A co-worker of my brother's can weld the floor in for me, so I'm getting ready to bring that to him soon. I just wanted to knock out some of this stuff first, that way I can get right into the mechanical stuff once I get the car back.

Also bought an X5 today! It's a pretty clean '03 3.0i. Original owner, 203k miles. Tons and tons of recent maintenance, the guy took very good care of it! Got it for $2k, which is cheap for anything these days. The seller initially had it listed for $1500, but was absolutely inundated with inquiries. Fortunately I was the first, and got priority as a BMW nut lol. I was totally comfortable paying a little more knowing that it's been maintained so well. It has an oil leak that I'm hoping is either due to the head bolts needing to be re-torqued, or something else. It looks to be coming from the head gasket. Worst case, I guess I can do that job... which was only done about 1000 miles ago. Not a huge deal. Otherwise it runs beautifully, no coolant or oil consumption. I'll have to take some pics tomorrow.
Motor vehicle Watercraft Gas Automotive tire Vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive tire

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nice work Dub.

Got an email today from FCP, my order that was scheduled to deliver at the end of next week? Yeah, email today says I’ll have it complete on Friday 17SEP. Wacky. Fun part is, it includes the trunk 325i lettering and passenger door mirror for an e30, continue to be surprised at the older parts availability.

My son and I are driving to ATL Sunday morning to look at and probably buy an e34 525i manual with the M50. That would bring our fleet to an even 6 lol. Two e30’s, two e39’s, one e46, one e34. Gawd help us…..

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Oooh, nice find!

Got the oil leak on the X5 taken care of! Fortunately not the head gasket. I got under there earlier and was extremely relieved to find the oil was coming from higher up on the cylinder head, and not the mating surface. Phew! Found it to be this oil gallery plug that was leaking. When I put a 5mm allen on it, I didn't have to put any pressure on it to turn it loose. It was barely finger tight. I went ahead and pulled it out, cleaned it up, and replaced the crush washer. So far, so good! I've driven it about 40 miles today and there doesn't seem to be any more oil leaking. I cleaned up as much as I could, but there was still some baked on stuff on the cats that will take a little time to burn off.
Gas Auto part Bumper Metal Automotive exterior

And he's a shot of it in its natural habitat... on jack stands.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
Good news is the new vanos o-rings and gaskets finally came in today.

Bad news is while resoldering. Some of the copper for the little solenoid pcb board came off. I have nothing to fix it with. No one has any copper tape in stock anywhere. Quickest I could get anything would be Monday.

Swear everytime I work on this car, something always comes up that delays finishing the job. And this damn covid delaying and short supplying everything everywhere just infuriates my zero patience even more. So fed up with this s**t!

·
Registered
316 Posts
N, I think the retail industry as a whole has completely changed. No one is willing to hold inventory anymore, with the global shipping speed retailers can get just about anything relatively quickly so they don’t have to have stock. The issue lately that has given me fits is that the Long Beach ports and customs are both moving a glacial speed and I think it’s both COVID and union’s creating this bottle neck.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
The bullsh*t has to stop as far as delays. I get that people are sick and out of work, but that's no excuse to poorly run these businesses. People need to keep things moving! Anybody that's okay with this sort of stuff must just sit around and do nothing all day. It's affecting all of us!

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
Got the board fixed using some copper wire to bridge to two spots. So far so good, it clicks when I test it, and the voltage is still the same. Don't know how well it'll hold up long term in the car. I'll try and source another used board here in the next month or so just in case.

And this was shared on the M5 owners group awhile ago. Same can be said for the E39 too, lots of "backordered no eta" crap. The microchip shortage doesn't help either. Plus lots of suppliers got hit really hard and some completely out of business because of covid.
Font Cloud Line Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,715 · (Edited)
Maybe all the chips and circuit boards that I need to recycle can go to something worthwhile. I wonder how much the value has gone up.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
Got the solenoids all back together and in the car. Damn that first start up is horrifying lol. But was nice and quiet-ish again once the pressure built back up. Put about 50 miles of driving on the car. Runs smoother and the exhaust sounds much throatier.

Ran VANOS test on both banks multiple times and they both passed! Whoo hoo! Now I doubt it'll fix the catalytic conversion issue. Sadly I'm certain my cats are done for at almost 120k miles. So I'll have to figure out something else. Need to check the welds for the O2 sensor bungs. Read that cracks in those can cause catalytic fault codes. I should've checked them when I replaces the clutch line and slave cylinder back in July. Oh well can't win them all lol.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I just scrapped a small box of PCBs a few months ago. You tellin me that’s not enough to keep production rolling? Lol

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
Yeah f**king right! He’s on some strong stuff! One pic, and from that it doesn’t even look crazy nice. That’s a $4k on a good day without further details.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
Yeah f**king right! He’s on some strong stuff! One pic, and from that it doesn’t even look crazy nice. That’s a $4k on a good day without further details.
Right? If it had stupid low mileage like under 50k, that'd be more understandable. But 205k miles?...GTFOH!!

14701 - 14720 of 14765 Posts