BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
14821 - 14840 of 14882 Posts

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,731 Posts
Well my little rocketship (2008 335xi) is officially up for sale. The market wasn't any help with selling the 2001 330xi, let's see what it does with this one. This time I have it posted in 3 places, cl, b'fest & fb-marketplace so we'll see. When I get a chance I think I'll put it up on the NextDoor app too. Luckily I'm in no hurry to sell it (for now), I finally got our federal tax refund last Friday...4.5 months after dropping it in the box at USPS.

Like how I stayed on the topic of late deliveries?

And yes Jim, amazon delivery is awesome...order accuracy not as awesome.

·
Habitual User
'03 540, '03 M5
1,075 Posts
Not sure if Amazon is the Devil, or...
They certainly have a grip on the supply chain, considering how they have distanced themselves from FedEx, UPS, etc.
Seems like every other truck going up the San Diego-LAX corridor is Amazon.

Jim, take your return to Kohl's...25% coupon on the spot!

Scrooge McDuck

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Amazon is doing delivery right... and when they aren't on time, they're happy to refund the order and shipping charges if you paid for express shipping. No ridiculous claims process like the other 3.
I ordered an axle nut a few weeks ago, and paid $2.99 for early next day. It was initially delayed, but ended up showing up that night instead. They refunded my $2.99 because it wasn't earlier in the day. Didn't even ask!

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
327 Posts
I’m in a relatively rural area and we don’t get those Amazon vans running around. Wish we did though, the poor mail lady has her truck stuffed every day with prime boxes, sometimes she has so many to walk up to the house she’s still on her route into the evening. The UPS guy gets a workout too. I can’t imagine how flooded the traditional carriers were in cities before Amazon started their own service.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,711 Posts
Well I'll be a monkeys bare ass uncle, my package was delivered a day early!!

Of course it was delivered literally 5 mins after I left for work, D'OH!

·
What Speed Limit?
2,711 Posts
So the package I got was a pack of the WeissLicht Spektrum LED turn signal bulbs. Here they are compared to the regular stealth bulbs I also got from them back in 2019.
Bullet Office supplies Fluid Office equipment Ammunition

The spektrum bulb also has two little leds on the end.
Hand Finger Musical instrument Gas Jewellery

As for brightness. Spektrum bulb on the left vs stealth on the right. It's much brighter in person than the picture shows.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Car Vehicle

So far I'm very pleased with the results. Real test will be in the daylight. Though it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so won't get to see how they are in sunlight quite yet. These bulbs normally go for $90 a pair!!! But I was lucky enough to score mine off ebay for $30. So it was worth it. Love to get some for the front, but so far no luck finding them for cheap. And despite being insanely overpriced, new ones are out of stock.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,827 ·
I got my Turner Motorsport intake boot, and MAF housing the other day. Going to swap everything out today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Looks good! My brother's Turner package came in today only a day late. Hub centric rings for the E34 so we can fit the style 5s!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
They called for rain today... didn't get a drop. It was sunny... but 85 and humid. Stopped at two junkyards to grab a bunch of Volvo parts! Scored a nice set of wheels and upgraded intercooler piping for the V70R.

I'm not looking forward to colder weather at all!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,831 ·
Im sure I made this known before, but I absolutely HATE every Ford and their idiot drivers. I believe they are a bunch of boring idiots that dont know how to drive and live to inconvenience everyone else on the planet. Don’t drive in the fast lane in your stupid cmax, focus, eacapes, and crap150s going 65 while every other driver is trying to go 85. Also, if the person behind you is trying to use the turn lane to turn right. Don’t randomly pull in front of them to stop at the light when nobody is in the lane to the left of you, making them have to wait for a green light and you to move before they can make a turn. I HATE FORDS AND THEIR DRIVERS!!!!!! I HATE YOU!!!! I HATE YOU!!!! I HATE YOU!!!! I could have made that longer, but got tired of typing on my phone.

Reactions: u.nanimous

·
What Speed Limit?
2,711 Posts
Im sure I made this known before, but I absolutely HATE every Ford and their idiot drivers. I believe they are a bunch of boring idiots that dont know how to drive and live to inconvenience everyone else on the planet. Don’t drive in the fast lane in your stupid cmax, focus, eacapes, and crap150s going 65 while every other driver is trying to go 85. Also, if the person behind you is trying to use the turn lane to turn right. Don’t randomly pull in front of them to stop at the light when nobody is in the lane to the left of you, making them have to wait for a green light and you to move before they can make a turn. I HATE FORDS AND THEIR DRIVERS!!!!!! I HATE YOU!!!! I HATE YOU!!!! I HATE YOU!!!! I could have made that longer, but got tired of typing on my phone.
Font News Photo caption Darkness Publication

Basically EVERY driver in Oregon thanks to the ridiculously slow speed limits.

Nothing new to report on the M5. My sisters Accent had a loud ticking sound the other day that got worse as it was revved. Checked the dipstick and there was literally NO oil at all on it! Looked around and it turns out there was a massive leak from the right side of the valve cover gasket I replaced 3 years ago. Oil all over the transmission. Thought maybe the bolts came loose, but nope. It's Mahle which I read is not the best brand gasket to use on those cars. Apparently Fel-Pro works better.

Car is due for an oil change anyways so I'm going to white-trash mart to pick up some oil after work. Then tomorrow change the gasket, then the oil. Hopefully that'll sort it. Going to check the valve cover too to see if there's any warpage or damage since it's plastic. Hopefully it should be all good.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Hopefully it's just the lifters being dry, Hyundais like to destroy bearings for absolutely no reason. I'm sure it's probably the lifters, since running the oil low doesn't cause the problems with these engines. Normally when a rod starts knocking, there is no evidence of anything being wrong in the first place.

I pulled the E39 into the garage the other day to finally knock out the oil pan reseal along with some other work, like the driver side engine mount (subframe is already down, took 2 seconds to replace), brake fluid flush, and sunroof tilt guides.
Got the oil pan off, cleaned, and back on earlier. That was a blast... not! The amount of grease buildup on this car is disgusting. It's a pretty easy job overall, just horribly time consuming. I HATE the amount of bolts on these oil pans... removing all 3,562,541 screws is a pain, but once I dropped the subframe down, the pan slid right out the back. Took forever to get it clean enough to want to put it back on the car, but it's much nicer now!

Fortunately everything inside looked really good and clean. The only debris in the oil pump pickup was a little piece of foil from an oil bottle 😂.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
6,731 Posts
Way to go Fed-Ex! One of the rear shocks blew out on Charlotte's (daughter #2 by age) '03 325xiT and since she doesn't know how to not drive Mrs. Andretti she kept getting DSC intervention. That was Wednesday night but I didn't get around to placing the order with FCP until Thursday around 9am. Wanting them before this weekend instead of next weekend I paid the $27 for 1 day delivery. As the afternoon rolled on I was getting nervous that it wouldn't even ship out on time and finally received the e-mail at 5:53pm that it was in Fed-Ex custody. And the big surprise they dropped it on my porch about 23 hours later!
I guess I know what I'm doing after lunch.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,711 Posts
Hopefully it's just the lifters being dry, Hyundais like to destroy bearings for absolutely no reason. I'm sure it's probably the lifters, since running the oil low doesn't cause the problems with these engines. Normally when a rod starts knocking, there is no evidence of anything being wrong in the first place.

I pulled the E39 into the garage the other day to finally knock out the oil pan reseal along with some other work, like the driver side engine mount (subframe is already down, took 2 seconds to replace), brake fluid flush, and sunroof tilt guides.
Got the oil pan off, cleaned, and back on earlier. That was a blast... not! The amount of grease buildup on this car is disgusting. It's a pretty easy job overall, just horribly time consuming. I HATE the amount of bolts on these oil pans... removing all 3,562,541 screws is a pain, but once I dropped the subframe down, the pan slid right out the back. Took forever to get it clean enough to want to put it back on the car, but it's much nicer now!

Fortunately everything inside looked really good and clean. The only debris in the oil pump pickup was a little piece of foil from an oil bottle 😂. View attachment 1042485
Oh yeah definitely the lifters since the sound was coming from that area. It's all quiet now since I topped off the oil. Though the gasket replacement will have to wait until tomorrow. Got a weird rubbing/rattle noise on the front left suspension of the M5 that only happens when I turn left at slow speeds.

Way to go Fed-Ex! One of the rear shocks blew out on Charlotte's (daughter #2 by age) '03 325xiT and since she doesn't know how to not drive Mrs. Andretti she kept getting DSC intervention. That was Wednesday night but I didn't get around to placing the order with FCP until Thursday around 9am. Wanting them before this weekend instead of next weekend I paid the $27 for 1 day delivery. As the afternoon rolled on I was getting nervous that it wouldn't even ship out on time and finally received the e-mail at 5:53pm that it was in Fed-Ex custody. And the big surprise they dropped it on my porch about 23 hours later!
I guess I know what I'm doing after lunch.
Now you jinxed it! Next package you get shipped through them will rot at your local facility for a week. Then get shipped to Burkina Faso before being delivered to you.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not BMW specific but any car in rust belt could have the similar issue, that is the rusted and seized bolt through a rubber bushing.

So last year I took my other to Firestone to get alignment done, but they snapped the driver side forward control arm toe bolt nut, and they of course didn't have the part and don't want to deal with the seized bolt, so they just left as is. So I ordered bolts for both sides, didn't have enough motivation until today, I got the passenger side bolt replaced, relative easy without much of fight, but for the driver side, I fought like 3 hours and felt defeated, I tried to punch the bolt out, tried with torch, tried impact gun, shower the bolt with liquid wrench, it just won't budge, bolt head is rounded, the head is 18mm, I have a set of bolt extractors, but only 17mm and 19mm, no 18mm, I tried a 11/16" socket which is biting but as I turn the bushing is twisting so in the end, the bolt is still fused to the bushing sleeve. Googled the best way to free the seized bolt through a bushing, air hammer worked for some but many didn't, I don't have air hammer, some had to cut the bolt, some used torch but of course, the bushing is burnt. I don't want to destroy the control arm, what is the other idea to get the bolt come to loose then?
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Bumper Gas

Automotive tire Wood Auto part Gas Automotive wheel system

·
6,731 Posts
Well not that it matters because the one side took so long but...I only got 1 upper mount. I went through all the packing material thinking I missed it and then logged in and found out they only had one to ship, so much for being in stock. But at least unlike ECS they still shipped what they did have and I was able to get the car drivable again. Unfortunately they didn't contact me about the missing part, I had to log into the website to find out.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Oh yeah definitely the lifters since the sound was coming from that area. It's all quiet now since I topped off the oil. Though the gasket replacement will have to wait until tomorrow. Got a weird rubbing/rattle noise on the front left suspension of the M5 that only happens when I turn left at slow speeds.

Now you jinxed it! Next package you get shipped through them will rot at your local facility for a week. Then get shipped to Burkina Faso before being delivered to you.
That's always a relief!
Not BMW specific but any car in rust belt could have the similar issue, that is the rusted and seized bolt through a rubber bushing.

So last year I took my other to Firestone to get alignment done, but they snapped the driver side forward control arm toe bolt nut, and they of course didn't have the part and don't want to deal with the seized bolt, so they just left as is. So I ordered bolts for both sides, didn't have enough motivation until today, I got the passenger side bolt replaced, relative easy without much of fight, but for the driver side, I fought like 3 hours and felt defeated, I tried to punch the bolt out, tried with torch, tried impact gun, shower the bolt with liquid wrench, it just won't budge, bolt head is rounded, the head is 18mm, I have a set of bolt extractors, but only 17mm and 19mm, no 18mm, I tried a 11/16" socket which is biting but as I turn the bushing is twisting so in the end, the bolt is still fused to the bushing sleeve. Googled the best way to free the seized bolt through a bushing, air hammer worked for some but many didn't, I don't have air hammer, some had to cut the bolt, some used torch but of course, the bushing is burnt. I don't want to destroy the control arm, what is the other idea to get the bolt come to loose then?
View attachment 1042535

View attachment 1042536
If you have an air compressor, an air hammer would be really useful here. From the looks of it, the end is broken off cleanly, so there's nothing holding the bolt in place except for corrosion, correct?
Douse it in penetrant again, maybe hit it with a big hammer and a large punch. That would probably help break up some corrosion.

Thank goodness I don't have to deal with that sort of rust often!

·
What Speed Limit?
2,711 Posts
Think the odd noise from the front left suspension is the tie rod ball joint. Really wouldn't be surprising since it's original. Need to get the center rack done too, but keep forgetting.

In the meantime I couldn't stand looking at the deteriorated liners anymore and just ordered new ones through my local dealer and liner clips. $198 for it all. Not too bad really. Contemplated FCP for lifetime warranty, but no way in hell would I want to ship the broken one back if needed a warranty replacement. Shipping would probably cost more than the part itself!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Think the odd noise from the front left suspension is the tie rod ball joint. Really wouldn't be surprising since it's original. Need to get the center rack done too, but keep forgetting.

In the meantime I couldn't stand looking at the deteriorated liners anymore and just ordered new ones through my local dealer and liner clips. $198 for it all. Not too bad really. Contemplated FCP for lifetime warranty, but no way in hell would I want to ship the broken one back if needed a warranty replacement. Shipping would probably cost more than the part itself!
Well return shipping would be easy, just fold it up and break it apart more!

14821 - 14840 of 14882 Posts