14841 - 14860 of 14882 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,842 ·

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Yup, basically the only stipulations are that you have to return fluids in their original containers. I'm sure they had to clarify that after they got zip lock bags of oil returned 😂

Reactions: matt540

·
What Speed Limit?
2,711 Posts
Long day but got the leaky valve cover gasket replaced on the Accent. Annoyingly it also has a crack on one of the bolt holes. It's not bad at all, not enough to worry about. If it gets worse, I'll replace it.

As for the main leak...yeah a bit nasty. All over the transmission. Blasted it off with some degreaser and pressure washer.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Light Automotive air manifold

Area underneath. Not great, but not the worst. Though honestly not really bad for a car that's almost 20 years old and has 65k miles.
Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Auto part Machine

Big difference between the old Mahle gasket on the left vs the beefier blue Fel-Pro on the right.
Font Eyewear Slope Electric blue Art

Amazing how much easier it is to pour oil in with no valve cover on lololol.
Car Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Gas Automotive exterior

Anyways gave the head surface a good cleaning. Also cleaned out the bolt holes, were filled with oil. Should help keep them from coming loose and got everything buttoned up an topped off.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Yeah I know the coolant hoses look terrible and need to be replaced. But so far so good other than that crack. But unless it gets worse, I'm not going to replace the cover. New ones are expensive at around $270. Too risky trying used being they are plastic and there's no guarantee they'll be crack free either. It's so minute, I'm not going to worry about it. Won't be like the main leak of the gasket. Car runs great, nice and quiet again.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Nice! Hyundais are great to work on, everything is so easy to access.

Yay, my turn to get screwed by FedEx! My FCP shipment that was due today has been delayed until tomorrow. Let's see if it shows up or if they decide it needs to marinate in the facility for another day or two.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,846 ·
My transmission might be taking a doo doo. Noticing slippage and squeeling under any acceleration and going into fail safe. Code 31 EGC symptom gear monitoring. Took it up to a shop to get it further diagnosed. Might be time for manual swap.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,711 Posts
Stopped by the Toyota dealer to get a new valve cover gasket for my oldest sisters 2006 Corolla S. At 180k miles, the original is definitely weeping. Not as bad as the Accent, but it's due for replacement. New gasket was $30 and they actually had one in stock! Almost got one from Rockauto, but I didn't want to wait god knows how long for shipping.

So next Sunday's project will be the same as it was with the Accent. Oil change with valve cover gasket replacement. Then give the car a obviously badly needed bath because my sisters couldn't keep their cars clean if their lives depended on it...plus I hate driving in dirty cars lolol.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Isn't it the best feeling when the dealer has the parts you need?

Time for a manual swap Matt! I only need to order a few small parts and a clutch kit for mine, then it's ready to go. FIxed my sunroof tilt last night (and in the process messed up the rails in another position, gotta push the glass down while closing it or it pushes upward and jams) now I'm just waiting on that radiator that was supposed to get here yesterday. Then today. And now, it's STILL sitting in a facility less than 30 minutes away from my house. Day 3 now...
Anyway, manual swap is happening soon!

I went and bought another Volvo today instead since the parts have yet to arrive. Damn you, FedEx!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,849 ·
Isn't it the best feeling when the dealer has the parts you need?

Time for a manual swap Matt! I only need to order a few small parts and a clutch kit for mine, then it's ready to go. FIxed my sunroof tilt last night (and in the process messed up the rails in another position, gotta push the glass down while closing it or it pushes upward and jams) now I'm just waiting on that radiator that was supposed to get here yesterday. Then today. And now, it's STILL sitting in a facility less than 30 minutes away from my house. Day 3 now...
Anyway, manual swap is happening soon!

I went and bought another Volvo today instead since the parts have yet to arrive. Damn you, FedEx!
I know, time for a manual. Just not sure how much it is going to run me. Don’t want a car on jack stands sitting in the garage waiting for me to have time and patience to finish. So ill be having a shop do it. At least I know the owner who lives in my neighborhood, and I will get other discounts “veteran”. Hopefully the guy I talked to there that is a friend of a friend will throw the parts to me for a reasonable price. I told my friend that my trans is taking a doo doo and they have been talking. Apparently the parts have been sitting in his garage for some time. They said they will tget me a quote by Wednesday. On the bright side, I have been searching for a manual car. This means I wont have to convince my wife why I need another car. Two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,850 ·
Also, I’m hoping some of the Crypto I’ve been sitting on blows up. 60 million shares and counting. Hoping to pass .01 in the next few years. I won’t hold my breath, but I can dream.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,731 Posts
My transmission might be taking a doo doo. Noticing slippage and squeeling under any acceleration and going into fail safe. Code 31 EGC symptom gear monitoring. Took it up to a shop to get it further diagnosed. Might be time for manual swap.
I thought the 540i was a 6 speed so...is that the 430i GC? Can you convert that to a real 4-character code? Our E90 had a 4F80 & 4F82 which is quite common and fixed with a $17 rectangular plastic piece that mounts on top of the mechatronic. Fluid, filter/pan, all the "while you're in there" parts plus taking it to a shop for the labor ends up running close to $1000.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,852 · (Edited)
I thought the 540i was a 6 speed so...is that the 430i GC? Can you convert that to a real 4-character code? Our E90 had a 4F80 & 4F82 which is quite common and fixed with a $17 rectangular plastic piece that mounts on top of the mechatronic. Fluid, filter/pan, all the "while you're in there" parts plus taking it to a shop for the labor ends up running close to $1000.
The 540 will be getting the swap. The 430xigc has an extended warranty that covers just about anything. The 540 is at a shop, and I am waiting for a quote for the swap. Fingers crossed it isnt crazy expensive.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Most places that are very familiar with these cars should be able to do it for a reasonable price. The most expensive part is probably the transmission, since the 420g isn't the easiest to find these days. I was lucky to find a whole manual car at the junkyard to grab all my swap parts from.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,854 ·
Most places that are very familiar with these cars should be able to do it for a reasonable price. The most expensive part is probably the transmission, since the 420g isn't the easiest to find these days. I was lucky to find a whole manual car at the junkyard to grab all my swap parts from.
I wish I had the option to do it myself and find the parts at a junk yard. Just time and space is the issue, it would take months for me to get it done.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,711 Posts
WTF?!?! I got a notice in the mail that my red light ticket I got last August is still pending! I originally told them it wasn't me because there was no way the awful pic in the citation could prove it was and that was that. But here's the real BS part. The letter was dated Sept 10th and have 60 days to respond. But I just got it yesterday so I really only have less than 30 to respond. Way to f**king go post office!

And seriously, they wait over a year before responding back? The f**ked up part is I know they'll use the "Covid has slowed us down" excuse. Like really? What if I got covid really badly and was in the hospital for several months not being able to respond to the ticket? Would they give a pass for that? F**K NO they wouldn't! So why should they? I know the DMV and unemployment department had their issues. But it didn't take them over damn year to get back to people. Should send this ticket back and tell them to shove it up their ass. They had their chance and blew it. F**k Portland!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,856 ·
Should send this ticket back and tell them to shove it up their ass. They had their chance and blew it. F**k Portland!
I bet you wont

Reactions: bmdubya1198

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
FCP order finally showed up today... and FCP forgot my power steering pulley. Yay, now I have to leave the car on jack stands even longer!

Man, I'm so sick of the excuses on delays and staff shortages and whatever else. It's straight up laziness. The covid excuse is old, it's complete BS. The past few days have been full of this crap... yesterday I needed a notary. Local UPS store I went to had only one employee working, and she wasn't a notary. Had to drive another 20 minutes down the road to get to one that had a notary on hand. I was talking to the seller of the car about this while we were there, how a local Culver's had closed 3 hours early due to no workers. So then he went to Chipotle, where they only had a select few menu items available, and only maybe 3 workers.
Then there's the fact that FedEx took two additional days to get a package delivered, which already had me pissed off. Then tonight I had my order screwed up at a local burger place that (surprise) decided to close 2.5 hours early. They're always great, good food, good service, etc. But tonight was awful... fries were undercooked, they forgot stuff initially before reminding them, and they seemed fairly clueless. We go there at least once a month, and they're consistently good... this was a letdown.
Not to sound like I'm complaining (well, I am) but this is just getting ridiculous.

Hell, my mom just had an issue last week when she went to pay a toll online. The website wouldn't calculate the total correctly, so she called. Waited 30 minutes on hold and hung up. A few days later, there was a late fee, and the site STILL wouldn't let her pay it. They'll probably have some sort of excuse on the late fee too, and won't waive it.

I wish I had the option to do it myself and find the parts at a junk yard. Just time and space is the issue, it would take months for me to get it done.
I get that, I need more space myself. I've needed to expand for a while, but fortunately now that I've been able to pick things up with part outs and flip cars, I need more space.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,711 Posts
Picked up the fender liners today. Thought about getting them installed tomorrow but won't. Probably Friday for sure when the weather dries out.

Right now in the process of fixing the driver side porkchop. Got it mostly back into shape carefully using a heat gun. Applied some JB Weld plastic epoxy putty applied to fill the large gaps and going to let it set overnight. Filled the smaller cracks with JB Weld plastic bonder. Luckily it cures fast but I will leave it overnight anyways. Tomorrow, I'm going to smooth it all out with some sanding, then paint over it with some flat black spray paint and that should be it. I'll reinstall it when I replace the fender liner.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,711 Posts
Got the porkchop fixed. Started with a heating gun to move it back into shape and fuse some of the material together for a better hold. Used some JB Weld black plastic bonder to hold the broken off parts back on the part. Then used some JB Weld plastic weld epoxy putty to fill in the larger gaps.

Let it sit overnight then made an absolute mess sanding it down. Lastly hit it up with some VHT black plastic paint and that was it. Could've done way better on the sanding. But considering the location of the part, I'm not going to fret. Plus I'll happily pay maybe $20 for the supplies and fix it vs $300+ for a new one!

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grey Automotive lighting

Hood Vehicle door Fin Snout Automotive exterior

Jaw Gas Automotive design Snout Bumper

Bicycle part Bicycle saddle Auto part Electric blue Plastic

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Well done! Works just fine for what it is.

14841 - 14860 of 14882 Posts