BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
15001 - 15020 of 15085 Posts

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
But back to the M5. Going to get around to sorting the exhaust leaks here soon and fixing the welding cracks on the 02 sensor bung holes...so hard to type that without laughing lol.
Don’t forget to ware latex gloves with a lubed up finger when your working on those bung holes, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: bmdubya1198

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,002 ·
Lol bung hole

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 200 k miles
2,002 Posts
Today I joined the 200,000 miles club...
2001 540i Automatic 5HP24 transmission, V8 M62TU engine still with original timing chain guides...

Font Building Display device Gas Electronic signage

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,004 ·
Reactions: E30 e39 e46 owner

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Impressive!

·
What Speed Limit?
2,762 Posts
ECS emailed saying they are still waiting on the center link. Eta is now Dec 1.

FCP supposedly has it in stock. Going to email to see if they actually do. If so, I'll contact ECS to remove that part from the order and go through with one from FCP because I'm fed up with this s**t!

Edit: FCP confirmed parts in stock and ready to ship, so I went ahead and placed the order. Got new center link an idler arm. Except I paid for 2 day shipping. Hopefully I'll get it at worst next Friday.

Did email ECS to see if they can cancel the same parts, but have yet to hear back.

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
354 Posts
Got my new starter in, all four wheel speed sensors, AND ran INPA for the first time to clear the ABS codes. Dang, that software is the epitome of utilitarian. Flow chart, if/then, +/-, linear setup which is the way I think anyway but have never been forced into that box from an outside source.

Did not proceed to see if the new starter solved the issue yet, need to to an oil change with a new OFH cap to get rid of the one that is chewed up from channel lock pliers. In theory I could mount the front wheels and lower the car and drive away but want to do another INPA scan to make sure codes are clear. All four of my ABS wheel speed sensors had open wire shorts which disabled the car once in the rain.

I broke the one mount for the air box wrestling the other stuff (M52). I also bypassed the coolant flow through the throttle body. The starter was pretty easy with the throttle body off, spent about 2.5 hours buttoning up the car today. Oil change tomorrow and test drive/INPA practice.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
They'll wait a week to get back to you. Remember this is ECS lol.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,762 Posts
Well this is weird. Got a package from fedex. It was the tie rods and some hardware from ECS. Didn't even get a shipping email notification...or maybe I did but figured it was another delay email thus deleted it lol.

Luckily everything is correct. Would've snapped having to wait this long only to get the wrong part. Now the wait on whether FCP gets the center link and idler arm out on Monday.

·
Registered
354 Posts
So, I got my starter in yesterday, spent the morning doing an oil change (with a shiny new filter cover sans plier marks). Hooked up to INPA to clear the ABS codes (all 4 had rotted wire insulation and bare wire was shorting).

Tried to start the car, no dice. Either key. (This is a ‘98 pre diamond key so the EWS isn’t key related?)

I kept fishing around INPA and in the ews menus I just kept going through screens, cleared two key errors. After a few tries to start here and there it finally started, I’m just not sure what I did to fix it?

The funny thing is, I probably didn’t need a new starter but I’m glad to have one.

Drove the car around, speedo doesn’t work so I’m assuming that I didn’t seat the left rear ABS sensor?

First time I ever used INPA. BMW scanner 1.4 won’t work, probably drivers but I am NOT anywhere near able to even understand the terminology when I read instructions to set it up manually. It’s a windows 10 I got a few weeks ago. I don’t have a lot of patience for computer stuff but will keep futzing around with it.

·
Wingnut
4,407 Posts
did you by chance note what the errors in the EWS were?
heres a post by geargrinder over on bimmerforum which will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about about the key, ews and dme interface and car starting.
yes your y/m has the idsn chip in the keyfob, ews reads it via the ring antenna

·
Wingnut
4,407 Posts
in the old style (non diamond) key, the idsn chip free floats in the case, is just a small piece of black plastic, dont toss it thinking its just a scrap piece. youve probably seen it as i imagine youve changed the battery more than once.
in INPA, there is a display in EWS that shows green dots when requirements are met, such as EWS-IDSN chip requirements are met. iirc, its shown in geargrinders thread.
nah ya did good...got yer car going didnt ya?

·
What Speed Limit?
2,762 Posts
After all the heavy rain lately, I decided to check under the rear passenger carpet. Annoyingly there is some wetness on the right side. However it's coming from that area of the missing body plug I replaced at the beginning of the year. Probably leaking already. I have another for that reason. So if the one on the car now is bad, I'll replace it with the spare, but use some extra adhesive or caulk for a better seal. I'll remove the whole carpet tomorrow though to be safe and make sure the rest is all dry.

Also noticed the drivers floor mat is already wearing and has a small hole where I rest my right heel while driving. Water from my shoes/boots is getting through it onto the carpet. It's small enough so I could use some strong glue or something to fix it. Kind've irks me since I've just barely had the mats for a year. But I got them from FCP, so worst case scenario, I'll put the lifetime warranty to use lol.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,016 ·
Well the shop is finally done with the 540 and ill be picking it up Monday or Tuesday. On top of the manual swap, I also approved a few other (while its apart) repairs. Like rear main seal (has a slight leak) a coolant leak that they noticed, and an exhaust repair. Not sure I want to disclose the full cost for all the parts and repair lol, because it was quite a bit.

·
Wingnut
4,407 Posts
finally figured out my slight coolant loss issue, a small leak at the plastic tank seam on the radiator. a new rad, upper and lower rad hose, havent lost a drop in over 2 weeks now.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Sweet, I bet you can't wait to rip it once you pick it up! It'll be worth it once you drive it lol.

·
What Speed Limit?
2,762 Posts
Pulled the entire carpet from the car. The body plug seems good. Carpet isn't that bad at all on the right side. Front passenger side is dry as a bone including the fuse panel thankfully.

However the drivers side front and back are wet. Not horrible, but still enough to where it's going to take some time to dry out. Ugh!

And even more annoying. I took the car through the car wash at my work SEVEN times with me in the car and didn't find jack s**t for a leak...WTF?! Don't worry the car wash at my work is one of those "touchless" washes. Doesn't have any of those brushes that scratch the car.

Going to pull the headliner and check the sunroof drains. Then pull the door panels and check the vapor barriers. The vapor barriers should be fine. I literally triple sealed those bastards. But who the hell knows with this car...

Only other thing I can think of would be the windshield cowl. The windshield itself is still the original as far as I can tell. But I am missing those rubber corner pieces of the cowl trim on both sides that are notorious for falling apart.

·
Registered
354 Posts
So, the two brand new rear wheel speed sensors I installed the other day were both faulty. No matter what I did, they just kept throwing codes. I had to go back to the original ones, cut away the bare wire/rotten sections and replaced with some wire I had lying around. All good now, life is better when you have a functioning speedometer.

15001 - 15020 of 15085 Posts