BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
15021 - 15040 of 15085 Posts

·
What Speed Limit?
2,762 Posts
Welp, sunroof drains, and all vapor barriers checked out. While the body plug was ok, I did apply some weather strip adhesive around it and the other body plugs. Then cleaned things up. It's amazing that I'm STILL finding small pieces of glass from when I had to break the window two years ago lolol.

Decided to clean the carpet while it was out. Just used some normal carpet cleaner stuff you'd find at Autozone with a stiff brush. Came out better than I thought. Although looking back on it now, that was kind've a dumb idea because it's supposed to rain again tomorrow. Oh well lol.
Car Vehicle Window Car seat cover Steering part

Came out so nice I almost didn't want to put the interior back together lol. But obviously I'd have no way of getting home. So it's all done and my back and knees are killing me. And as always everytime I tear apart the interior, there's leftover screws when it's back together. Dammit!

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,841 Posts
Every "leftover" fastener is a weight reduction aka free horsepower.

Reactions: bmdubya1198

·
What Speed Limit?
2,762 Posts
Well FCP says the centerlink and idler arm have shipped. But tracking right now only says info sent to Fedex. And that was Saturday. Still no word back from ECS on cancelling the parts through them. Though they were nice enough to send another annoying "Sorry about the delay" bs email.

And speaking of delays, the accuracy of this is sadly spot on...
Water Water resources Body of water Line Font

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Yep... it's a sad reality!

·
What Speed Limit?
2,762 Posts
Finally. ECS got back and cancelled the centerlink and idler arm. And fedex tracking shows the ones I got from FCP arrived here in Portland barely an hour ago. So I better get them in tomorrow.

Needs to get done now because the ball joint rattle on the tie rods is getting horribly bad even over the lightest of bumps. And also the steering is so unerving. The car is parked right now until the parts are replaced and am borrowing the sis Xterra again.

Always enjoy sitting up high in that thing and not having to worry about scraping the bumper or hitting potholes. Only downside is I keep forgeting how painfully slow it is lol. And the stereo is not quite as good as mine. I mean it has aftermarket radio, speakers and amp/sub. So it's better than stock, but not on par with the M's setup. Of course nothing will be as bad as the factory original radio her 97 Nissan hardbody had. Oh my god, literally THE worst radio ever!

·
What Speed Limit?
2,762 Posts
There, finally got the center link, idler arm and tie rods replaced. Didn't even bother with ball joint tool. Just used a quick hit with the air hammer to knock loose the ball joints. Removed the old link and rods as one.

Also didn't bother with counting turns removing the tie rods. Left them on and measured the length between the ball joints. Used the measurements to install the parts on the new center link. Fiddly getting it all back in. Luckily the wheels are nice and straight. All that's left is the alignment tomorrow.

As for the old stuff, yep. Definitely was due for replacement.
Hand Grey Gas Auto part Pipe

And look at that, still have a dry belly pan! Ignore the foot print lol.
Grey Bumper Gas Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Dry belly pan? Not possible... lol. Yep, those ball joints are about as bad as the tie rods and center link I pulled out of the E34. They were totally loose!

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
354 Posts
I have questions.

I spent a few hours on the 39 today and did the Mother’s version of ceramic coating. Does this stuff help her age with more dignity? Always used past wax which chalks up in the chips/crevasses. The water resistance is impressive but I am more after correction and age with dignity.

I spent an hour on the back window with white vinegar and rain-x polishing compound to get rid of water marks. The combination of both and a cotton cloth was effective with over 4 applications. Anyone have a better idea? Sunroof glass is next.

There are watermarks on the paint as well which I would like to remove, feels like clay bar isn’t enough.

Also, after my “no crank” issue, it was the starter switch in the steering column.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
You could try one of those water spot removal products. Chemical Guys makes one that Walmart and most auto stores carry.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,031 ·
I finally get my 540 back today!!!

·
What Speed Limit?
2,762 Posts
Ugh, I'm going to have to get my car in the body shop. More of the clear coat on the front bumper is coming off. Have to wait until spring though. No point of doing it now with Dec/Jan/Feb still to come.

And I still need to finish restoring the rims. Replace the rear tires, rear suspension, rear windshield, fix exhaust leak so and and so on blah blah blah lol.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Yeah, I'm already hating winter. In the 40s now and it's pure hell. Gimme back 70s!!!

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,035 ·
Well that didn’t last long. Power steering line blew. Another FCP list ready to order. Not even 50 miles!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
It keeps things interesting! lol

I cannot WAIT to get into a shop. My realtor buddy is working on something, I'm really hoping we can turn it into a reality in the next few months!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
They're horribly unreliable, but I would love a W8 Passat wagon with the manual. Man, that would be fun the 5 minutes a month it functions 😂

15021 - 15040 of 15085 Posts