BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
15821 - 15840 of 15911 Posts

·
What Speed Limit?
3,006 Posts
Annoying as hell, but looks like I'll have to put those guide repair kits to use and carefully pry the glass open from up top. That's what the FCP warranty is for right? Lol. I'll use my plastic trim tool and several rags so I don't scratch the paint on the roof. Not that it would really hurt with the paint in such crap condition anyways.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Annoying as hell, but looks like I'll have to put those guide repair kits to use and carefully pry the glass open from up top. That's what the FCP warranty is for right? Lol. I'll use my plastic trim tool and several rags so I don't scratch the paint on the roof. Not that it would really hurt with the paint in such crap condition anyways.
Have you even tried what I have recommend you?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
What Speed Limit?
3,006 Posts
Have you even tried what I have recommend you?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I tried the manual crank noted in the owners manual. Could only turn so little each way before it'd stop. I can't break the slider because it won't move. Even used a pry tool to try and force it open. But I'd definitely damage the headliner doing that too.

·
What Speed Limit?
3,006 Posts
Luckily despite the jammed up sunroof, it's still sealed nice and tight. So I'll deal with it little bit at a time. As for now, back to other things that have been bugging me. Namely the right side fuel sender.

The seal still leaks when I fill the car up. In fact it's starting to get worse. Plus the gauge takes forever to read full when filling up. Have a constant code for that sender anyways, so I'll just replace both now and get it over with. However, I didn't buy the M5's correct right sender. Not for $312, F**k that! I bought the sender for non M E39's. They are 95% the same but with the fuel line hookup. I'll explain when I get the project done. Only cost $127 for that sender vs the overpriced M5 part. Be a nice cost savings. And being FCP, lifetime warranty for the win again!

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
493 Posts
Anyone have an e39 hood laying around?

My son was driving home Monday, looking left and making a right hand turn, old guy in front of him stopped while my son was looking left. Headlight busted and hood wrinkled. His car is a black ‘99.

·
Wingnut
5,023 Posts
looking for one myself...somebody whacked the front of mine in a home depot a coupla weeks ago, busted out the grilles, buckled the hood, and left. looks like a high bumper truck hit it.

·
What Speed Limit?
3,006 Posts
No it's cardboard, but GOOD NEWS! I now have solved the mystery. And as always, it's because I'm a f**king idiot!

When repainting the sunroof frame that connects the headliner to the sunroof cassette. Make sure the paint is FULLY DRIED for at least several days before reinstalling everything! That way the warm weather won't cause the paint to glue to the slider material.

And yeah, I'm going to have to recover the slider. Ugh why do I even bother anymore...
Automotive tire Bumper Tire Rim Automotive exterior

·
Registered
493 Posts
Lol, I admire your attitude N, carry on.

I need to do my headliner/b/c pillars soon, it’s all juuuuust starting to sag. I could make a year or two out of it but I know it’s coming.

Also, I use my sunroof/tilt almost every day in the warmer months to evacuate hot air. You’ve got me scared, the thing always seems to work fine without any noises or clicks. I really rely on the tilt function on a consistent basis. The hand crank on the e30 is golden, can’t eff that up as long as you lube/clean/maintain. Our e46 is a base model ‘03 325 manual with zero options. No sunroof and I am happy about that. Dang thing is approaching 270k miles though, not the NVH hero at the moment, running a lot of the liqui moly flush to get the oil burn down a bit. With the Bilstein b6 set up on both the e30 and 46 I’m not sure which one is better in the “this thing is on rails” dept. Damn fun cars to toss around.

Ok, this Oregon “law” that is “Menstruation sympathy law?” Where Middle schools are required to supply boy’s bathroom in public school with tampons and also educate them on menstruation? WTF? All we would do is hang them from the rear bumpers of trucks and laugh about it.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ah, I do that sort of sh*t ALL the time. Just today I had the bright idea to remove the sunroof drain tube completely on my Explorer... bad idea! Took me forever to route it back down the A pillar. But it drains properly now. If only I could clear my driveway/yard to get it on a level surface to check the other drains. Have I mentioned I need a shop? lol
This is just one more design that BMW did better... metal tube down the A pillar, and only a small rubber hose. So much easier! The Explorer uses a grommet that's barely attached to the hose to drain the water out through the door jamb. It works, but it's a giant pain to attach the hose to the grommet.

Ok, this Oregon “law” that is “Menstruation sympathy law?” Where Middle schools are required to supply boy’s bathroom in public school with tampons and also educate them on menstruation? WTF? All we would do is hang them from the rear bumpers of trucks and laugh about it.
😂 That's asking for kids to cause problems. They will find tampons hanging around everywhere.

I just got a set of rear Bilstein B4s for my E46 today, just gotta order the fronts and a rear wheel bearing and that car should be feeling good. The right rear bearing sounds horrible, but doesn't have any play. At least I hope it's that bearing... I'm ready to start buying the fun parts now, no more diagnostics and maintenance stuff for a little while lol.

·
What Speed Limit?
3,006 Posts
Only took 11 hours but it's all done. Cleaned the b**tard paint off the sunroof frame using lacquer thinner. Part was originally powder coated black from the factory that I spray painted over and the thinner didn't take it off. So it's still black, but faded. Though I'll just leave it as is and deal with it again later on when I recover the headliner itself. Oh won't that be fun? Not!

Ripped off the fabric on the slider. Some of the foam was stuck on good. But again I wet it down with lacquer thinner and after about a min or so, came off like butter using a paint scraper. Cleaned it off, let it dry while I ate dinner. Then this time more carefully recovered the slider with another layer of alcantara. Looks much better than the first try. The little plastic handle for the slider did crack and a small piece came out. But I can sort that easily with a junkyard part and repaint it black. Annoyingly though, one of the rubber accordian gaters is partially ripped. So that'll have to be replaced. I'll source a used one because no way am I paying $300 for a new one.

Got it all back in the car. I swear putting all that crap back in is worse than taking it out! Took awhile making sure the glass was lined up and doing the reset procedure. But I got it sorted at about 99%. Glass isn't perfectly level all around. Maybe a couple millimeters off in a few places. But I know for a fact it's because of the seal. I did replace it back in March. However I do know it can be a royal pain, because you have to get it "just right" in order to get it to seal properly. So I'll have to do that all over again. Joy!

But everything works, and there's no bad noises and the slider moves freely lol. So other than needing to replace the seal and rubber gater the main sunroof s**t is done lol.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Sunroofs are such a pain... have I mentioned that before? lol

·
Registered
5,585 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Jim, is there any hope that NOV will start a trend?

In my shame, I finally googled “why do English settled countries drive on the left?” Today.

It’s because it was easier for the “driver” of the multiple horse chain to judge traffic and keep his right hand free for horse whipping. Get on the left side of the 4 horse chain to judge clearance for opposite direction traffic because you are right handed and prefer to whip your horse with that arm on the London Bridge.

As a left handed adult, this makes me laugh. Our right hand lane arrangement works just fine for me, have never driven a right hand drive car and probably would struggle quite a bit if it’s got a clutch and a stick. I do think there is a cognitive dissonance with the foot pedals. They should have the throttle on the left, clutch on the far right. As far as I know they do not, this is a shameful lack of knowledge on my part.

I have spent a few weeks in the UK back in the ‘90’s it’s when I first saw the e30 touring, it blew my doors off. I kept a ‘91 until 2003 that was a coupe, never knew there was a touring until I walked around London in the late ‘90’s.

·
What Speed Limit?
3,006 Posts
My friend got a 30 day ban from f**kbook for posting that same picture. Funny how no one got banned for posting Trump memes. But with Brandon, it's a ban for anyone regardless. Obviously f**kbook showing their true colors as always. The real ministry of truth or more like frauds.

Back to the car. Was going to reupholster the sunroof motor cover in new alcantara. However most of the old plastic tabs are broken. Contemplated getting a used one, then recovering it. But there's no guarantee the tabs on it will last either. New alcantara ones are NLA from BMW. Not that it'd matter anyways saying they'd probably be over $200 if they were. So I bought a brand new standard 5 series grey fabric one from Pelican on sale for $15. Should be in Monday or Tuesday.

Now I'm going to redo the motion sensor alarm cover in new alcantara. New ones are still available from BMW, but not surprisingly stupid expensive at around $150 or more.

Still need to get the rest of the interior back together. But low and behold, it's raining again! I'm so sick of rain. Local meterologist always blab we need it to avoid forest fires. No morons, we have forest fires because our stupid state politicians don't believe in proper forest management. Being nutcase liberals, they probably think forest managment is racist...

15821 - 15840 of 15911 Posts