BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
15841 - 15860 of 15911 Posts

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
E30....I’m really hoping the there will be a big change this NOV.
Thanks for the info about the left hand side of the road, never knew that.

I’ve driven a few RHD cars on both sides of the road (different countries) in the past. The pedals are the same orientation as a LHD car which is good. At first it was a little weird to shift with my left hand.
I’ll be getting the opportunity to do it again for 3 weeks starting May 23rd when we go to England and Scotland.

I probably wouldn’t last 5 min on f**kbook either.
Time for another pic......
Road surface Asphalt Wood Brick Rectangle

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yup, the only "reversed" control is the turn signal stalk. Most Japanese cars, at least, have the turn signal stalk on the right side of the steering wheel. I've never driven an RHD car, but everyone says it's a pretty quick thing to learn. I feel I would take a while to get used to it.

·
Wingnut
5,023 Posts
Yup, the only "reversed" control is the turn signal stalk. Most Japanese cars, at least, have the turn signal stalk on the right side of the steering wheel. I've never driven an RHD car, but everyone says it's a pretty quick thing to learn. I feel I would take a while to get used to it.
i lived in england for 3 1/2 years back in the 80's, transitioning to rh drive i found wasnt any issue. roundabouts took a bit of getting used to though...

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
i lived in england for 3 1/2 years back in the 80's, transitioning to rh drive i found wasnt any issue. roundabouts took a bit of getting used to though...
New to roundabouts or turning left into them? That would be a learning curve!

·
Wingnut
5,023 Posts
just navigating them in large cities....if one gets stuck in the inside lane, it can be kinda hard to get to the outside....iirc they were always turn right to enter

·
Wingnut
5,023 Posts
correction....i believe that your right about the left turning going in,,,heck its been 40 years or so since i was there.
got in the parts for a friends e60 n62 today...retrofit a belt tensioner for the A/C...silly ass BMW design the stretch belt used to drive the compressor on the 04 and 05 e60's and 61's....all other n62 models that i know of used a tensioner....the threaded boss is already there, just hadda get the tensioner, correct belt and the mount bolt. project for tonight.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
They were right to enter even on the left hand side? That sounds like a clusterf*ck. Then again, I'm sure it works just fine if it hasn't been changed yet.

Ah, just saw your update!

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
The first roundabout I drove thru was in Anguilla, I made sure I followed another car thru. We entered and turned left.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Really... strangers to roundabouts!?
We have them everywhere. So useful.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
We have them over here too however we enter them from the right lane and go counterclockwise, then exit them going right.

·
Registered
2002 e39 530i
292 Posts
I don't understand why roundabouts have more than one lane. If you in a roundabout you are turning off of it, are the other lanes for racing in circles?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
And for whatever reason, a lot of people around here don't understand them and act like complete idiots when they come up to a roundabout. They make perfect sense, and are extremely efficient. We have quite a few now, pretty much all of them having been built within the past 10-15 years.

I don't understand why roundabouts have more than one lane. If you in a roundabout you are turning off of it, are the other lanes for racing in circles?
We have a couple two-lane roundabouts, but it's mostly meant for the right lane to make a direct right turn, then the left lane to go straight or left. The first time I saw it, I was confused too, but after using it once, it was easy.
Now as for those overseas that you merge in or out of a lane within the roundabout, that would be a disaster here.

·
Registered
2002 e39 530i
292 Posts
I've been on s few roundabouts in the semi but oddly enough they were all in the middle of no where on country roads, lightly used country roads at that. Obviously in my semi I used both lanes and sometimes the inner curb which were luckily rounded and not squared off.

I've seen those over seas on TV and some of them are 3 and 4 lanes wide which never made sense to me.

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
493 Posts
The whole problem is, for Americans and maybe others, the ability to yield is lost. When you yield to traffic you are supposed to “not cause any disruption in the flow of traffic” but here in the states people can’t figure out how to strait line merge AT SPEED with on and off ramps on interstates. It’s maddening. Roundabouts are more common now but the yield sign means “go ahead if nobody is coming, do not interrupt the flow of traffic”. It’s like the new behavior at green traffic lights, people just go when they feel like it or when someone honks the horn to get them to stop looking at their phone.

I could write a book, trying not too.

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
493 Posts
When the light turns green I pop it into 1st, engage, and 10 cars deep nothing happens for at least 10 seconds, drives me mad. People just move AFTER the light turns green, most of us hit the “go” when it light turns green and we are long gone. The hatred for red lights is lost nowadays.

15841 - 15860 of 15911 Posts