BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
16101 - 16120 of 16180 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
F that, I see a big aftermarket hack opportunity if this happens here.
I heard Toyota was going to do the same subscription based thing on their remote start feature.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
These subscription based features are so dumb... what's stopping someone from just enabling them and being done? So damn stupid.

·
What Speed Limit?
3,084 Posts
Todays project, new ABS sensors and front brake pad sensor that was damaged during the suspension overhaul couple weeks ago.

Was going to do the wheel bearings as well. But decided to wait until I redo the front control arms. Originally planned on pressing the monoballs out, and pressing the factory bushings back in. But I don't want to deal with it. So I'll just buy new arms and sell the others with the monoballs already pressed in.

It'll be easier to do it then because I can just remove the knuckle entirely making the replacement a breeze. I know for a fact the bearings are original and the bolts will be a RPITA to remove. With the knuckle out I can use a torch if needed without risking damage to the strut, ball joints or anything else. Then impact the suckers out. Then reassembly will be a breeze too.

Sounds so easy it can be done in several hours. But I'm sure it'll be one of those jobs that'll somehow take two days or more knowing my luck lol.

·
What Speed Limit?
3,084 Posts
Got the work done earlier. Held off on the brake pad sensor. Have to remove the calipers and pads anyways when I do the bearings. So why install it now and risk breaking it again? Did replace the brake pad sensor harness connector though for the hell of it. "Check Brake Linning" message is still on the OBC. Little annoying, but will never be as annoying as "Washer Fluid Low". Glad I coded that out in PASoft lol. Little ABS connectors are a bit of a pain to replace. Especially when inserting the wire pins in the new connectors. But they are in, took the car for a quick drive around the area and there are no codes so far. Will keep an eye on it for a while and run periodic fault checks in INPA.
Azure Creative arts Electric blue Wire Gas

And then whenever the hell we cool down, I'll get the wheel bearings done. Supposed to be around 100 or more for the next 5 days. Then "cools down" to 90 after. God what I'd give for a garage with a massive a/c system lol.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
So I FINALLY got myself a shop! Now comes the fun process of moving all my stuff over there. I need to wrap up an engine replacement on my '04 Explorer so my dad can drive that (he's tired of his Volvo S40, needs to be higher off the ground lol) then I can move my tools and equipment over. For now I'm just moving the contents of my storage units over there so I don't have to pay for next month lol.
Man... I have a huge parts stock! Those bins are barely half of it. I've been racking up a ton of miles on my X5 this weekend. Fortunately the shop is only about 15 minutes away, so that works out way better than some others I had considered before.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate

Ugh the heat has been awful here too. It's been in the mid to high 90s the past week, pretty miserable. Worst part is that I have AC in the shop, but it doesn't currently work because the remote is missing. And no way to control it otherwise. It gets HOT in there.

Reactions: JimLev

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
What is the model of your AC unit? Mine has a hidden button that will turn it on if you lose the remote.
98º here the last few days. If I turn the AC on in the morning I can keep it at 73º.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
What is the model of your AC unit? Mine has a hidden button that will turn it on if you lose the remote.
98º here the last few days. If I turn the AC on in the morning I can keep it at 73º.
I'll have to double check the manual. It's a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim MSZ-GA24NA mini split. It didn't look like there was one, I was REALLY hoping to find one.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Lol yeah, I ordered a Chinese one on Amazon for $27. We’ll see how that works… it has decent reviews, so hopefully it’ll be fine.

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
535 Posts
Got my painted auto parts from Chicago painted auto parts.com today, I’m sure the color match may be an issue but I won’t really know until I put them on. I got the front plate delete and the rest of the trim from ECS, also the hardware kit. Tore the old girl down this morning, pics of the new parts too. I’ve never put body panels on a car, had to loosen the passenger side hood mount, not looking forward to making the gaps right.

First order of business is to buff the headlights best I can. Then I’ll assemble the bumper cover, then I’ll mount the fender, then I’ll wrestle the bumper cover. My insurance gave me $3k to repair her, I’m in for $2k right now.

·
What Speed Limit?
3,084 Posts
Ordered another set of Lemforder front control arms from FCP. Will still replace the crap Lemforder thrust arm bushings with genuine BMW ones. Cost of new arms with shipping $530. Ouch! But will get that back when I sell the arms with the monoballs in them.

Speaking of which. Would selling them for $800 be too much? That's basically both new thrust arms and wishbone arms with monoballs with barely 200 miles on them. ECS and Turner sell Lemforder arms with the monoballs pressed in for almost $1100. Even if you bought the arms from FCP and the monoballs from ECS, price is almost the same. So I think 800 would be a decent offer? Almost thought about 9, but thought that might be too greedy lol.

·
Registered
2002 e39 530i
367 Posts
You can always lower a price, kind of hard to raise them. Start with what you want from them and then you can always drop the price a little at a time if need be.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
That seems reasonable, I'd start there and you can always drop it down if needed.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
It was another hot one today, but fortunately there was some cloud cover. I hate to look at it, but it feels a little better!

·
What Speed Limit?
3,084 Posts
Got the genuine BMW thrust arm bushings in today. Huh, thought Lemforder was the supplier for the bushings? These say Contitech. Don't know if they were always that way? Or maybe BMW realized how terrible Lemforder has gotten now they decided to change supplier lol
Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Finger Rim

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I also bought BMW bushings a while ago after the Lemforder ones I bought started leaking after 6 months of use.
Do you have the BMW tool to remove/install them?

·
What Speed Limit?
3,084 Posts
Love it when I post something for sale in a group on facebook. All I get is notifications that someone liked my post or commented "Great product, good luck with sale".

I don't care about that. Only notification I want is someone saying "I'll take it" lol.

Meanwhile FCP is rather worryingly being a little bit like ECS. When I ordered the front control arm kit on Monday, they split shipment. I got the left front wishbone in yesterday from some place called All European or whatever. But no updates or anything on the other arms. Was given an email saying packaged shipped with tracking number the other day. But fedex says record does not exist. Wtf? Emailed them, but haven't heard back yet.

16101 - 16120 of 16180 Posts