BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Plenty of apologies if this has been discussed in the past, please see attached photo the wiper arm keeps coming off from the screw and BMW is saying because the linkage is ceased on one side (red circle) and because it doesn't rotate, it is making the wiper arm keeps coming off the screw and I need the whole new linkage which comes with motor etc, the part itself cost £403..ouch....I looked on ebay a lot available but I dont know what is the right part number.

Rang few dealers no one is giving the part number, tried realoem but couldn't find it there either.

2 Questions:

1. Do I really need the whole new wiper mechanism?
2. How can I find the right part number.

This is pretty urgent guys as I am driving to Paris next week and ideally needs to get this fixed before that.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance

S

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No haven't tried that but because the shaft does not rotate at all no matter what we will it will keeps popping the nut out.

Have you tried putting "LockTite", 3 M product, on the threads of the shaft and placing the nut on, with proper torque? The torque is something like 25 ft lbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at the photo below, the shaft which in ceased in my case doesn't look like that it rotates electronically, so may be it is fixable?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
825 Posts
No, the shaft to the right of the frozen shaft and the shaft on the far right, drive the wiper blade arms. The frozen shaft is a free turning pivot point. The linkage from the electric motor drives the center and right shafts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perfect, I will try using a lot of WD40 if I can get access to the base, it might free up the rust.

No, the shaft to the right of the frozen shaft and the shaft on the far right, drive the wiper blade arms. The frozen shaft is a free turning pivot point. The linkage from the electric motor drives the center and right shafts.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Here in the states, we have a product called, PB Blaster, a form of penetrating oil, that is designed to assist in braking corroded fasteners. Much more effective than wd40. Also, use the 2 nuts threaded onto the shaft and locked together to give you the leverage on the shaft to free it without damaging the threads on the shaft. The penetrating oils, PB Blaster, etc, work better if they are allowed to wick in for a period of time before you start working on freeing the shaft.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a plan. I will give it a go.

Here in the states, we have a product called, PB Blaster, a form of penetrating oil, that is designed to assist in braking corroded fasteners. Much more effective than wd40. Also, use the 2 nuts threaded onto the shaft and locked together to give you the leverage on the shaft to free it without damaging the threads on the shaft. The penetrating oils, PB Blaster, etc, work better if they are allowed to wick in for a period of time before you start working on freeing the shaft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts