BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there already a thread that can give positions on Dinan or Shark software upgrades ?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Keeping it surreal
43,301 Posts
Is there already a thread that can give positions on Dinan or Shark software upgrades ?

Thanks
There are dozens of existing threads, if you use the SEARCH function for this forum, you will undoubtedly find some of them. The short answer is:
Software really does`nt do much on post-2000 BMWs....you can spend several thousand dollars on chips, CAIs, pullies, exhaust, etc., and after all that, you`ll be lucky to net a 15 to 20 RWHP increase. That`s just the way it is....

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Research and Math Done

Bob, I do agree that the ROI is very low for Software , CAI and muffler upgrades. Looking at three of the biggest after market vendors for BMW the Average cost was between $1200 and $ 1900 for about 10 to 12 extra HP's or about 100 to 160 dollars per HP. Very costly comparative to the price of the car and the HP that comes stocked. However, just having a software upgrade done for 300 to 400 dollars to take of the stupid limitations put on because of government regulations could be worth the money. Trying to decide which vendor to use Dinan or Shark is not an easy choice with both having their positives and negatives.

Thanks for the heads up on the amount of HP that can be gained from the upgrades but I am one who does extensive reach before jumping into the fire.

Attachments

·
Keeping it surreal
43,301 Posts
bob you say they don't do much onpost 2000's, what about a 99'328i? do they help those?
Seems like the older cars (especially pre-OBD II cars) respond the best to chips.....I would guess that your car would more than likely fall into the "Post-Y2K" group.

Regards,
Bob

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
However, just having a software upgrade done for 300 to 400 dollars to take of the stupid limitations put on because of government regulations could be worth the money.
Do you mean the speed limiter? It's not the government that puts those on, it's BMW... They chose to make the limit 155 on the 330i Performance Package and all ///M cars ...

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Do you mean the speed limiter? It's not the government that puts those on, it's BMW... They chose to make the limit 155 on the 330i Performance Package and all ///M cars ...
This is really a negative for me. What's the verdict? Can I get rid of it so I won't be kept within these ridiculous limits anymore?

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
This is really a negative for me. What's the verdict? Can I get rid of it so I won't be kept within these ridiculous limits anymore?
I know! In my 99 E46, I would get SO frustrated bouncing off of the speed limiter at 128 in front of the local gradeschool. How am I supposed to impress anyone or make it to work on time?

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I know! In my 99 E46, I would get SO frustrated bouncing off of the speed limiter at 128 in front of the local gradeschool. How am I supposed to impress anyone or make it to work on time?
LOL, for a second there, I thought Jeff was serious:rofl:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BMW Fundamentalist

I agree it is frustrating to only travel at 128 in front of grade schools and that is why I want to take off the governor so I can travel past a school for the blind at a 155!
And yes lets all become BMW fundamentalist, praying and worshiping to the all mighty German software and engine engineering gods. No need for future upgrades or squeezing out that last 18 percent of performance because we all have faith in the German engineering gods!

Attachments

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I agree it is frustrating to only travel at 128 in front of grade schools and that is why I want to take off the governor so I can travel past a school for the blind at a 155!
And yes lets all become BMW fundamentalist, praying and worshiping to the all mighty German software and engine engineering gods. No need for future upgrades or squeezing out that last 18 percent of performance because we all have faith in the German engineering gods!
It's your money man, do as you like. If it were mine, I'd spend it on some driver training instead. That's a performance increase you can use on ANY vehicle.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,301 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Honest Question gets Honest Answer

why do anyone go past 128 ? unless you are running away from the police?
Why do people try to climb Mount Everest, swim the Atlantic Ocean, try to beat land speed records, and fly around the word in a balloon? The simple answer; the adventuress or enthusiast always want to experience new speeds and highest. BMW would not make cars to go 155 if there was not a desire to travel at that speed or Germany would not have Autobahn if it was not to travel at high speeds! Fundamentalist will never understand the heart of an enthusiast!

Attachments

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Fundamentalist will never understand the heart of an enthusiast!
Actually, anyone with cajones big enough can go fast in a straight line. It takes no skill whatsoever to point the car and plant the go pedal in the carpet. As long as all is perfect in the world and you don't have to deal with anything other than going straight.

Enthusiasts don't go fast in a straight line IMHO. They also don't drive automatics. And, they get their hands dirty now and then too. :angel:

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Actually, anyone with cajones big enough can go fast in a straight line. It takes no skill whatsoever to point the car and plant the go pedal in the carpet. As long as all is perfect in the world and you don't have to deal with anything other than going straight.

Enthusiasts don't go fast in a straight line IMHO. They also don't drive automatics. :angel:
+1 :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts