BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup. Pretty much what I expected. Here's a direct quote of what the service invoice stated:

>>>Customer states that there is a throttle delay when accelerating from a stop. When you go to take off there is a 3/4 second delay before it goes.
Could not verify abnormal behavior compared to other 535 F10 vehicles found normal acceleration known with the 8 speed transmissions.
Customer had BMW Rountable printout from a forum which pertains to older F10 vehicles with N55 up to production date of 2/11. Vehicle is production date 7/11.
SIB 12 09 11 does not apply to this vehicle due to production date.
Vehicle's programming is F10-11-03-511 which is newer than SIB's recommendation.
Ran vehicle test and found no faults that would pertain to issue.
No further work at this time.<<<

Oh well. I tried.

Still love the car.
:dunno:

· Registered
852 Posts
Ya gotta make them drive your car with you in it. In my opinion, it's the only way they are ever going to admit anything, if at all.

· Registered
1,762 Posts
Yup. Pretty much what I expected. Here's a direct quote of what the service invoice stated:

>>>Customer states that there is a throttle delay when accelerating from a stop. When you go to take off there is a 3/4 second delay before it goes.
Could not verify abnormal behavior compared to other 535 F10 vehicles found normal acceleration known with the 8 speed transmissions.
Customer had BMW Rountable printout from a forum which pertains to older F10 vehicles with N55 up to production date of 2/11. Vehicle is production date 7/11.
SIB 12 09 11 does not apply to this vehicle due to production date.
Vehicle's programming is F10-11-03-511 which is newer than SIB's recommendation.
Ran vehicle test and found no faults that would pertain to issue.
No further work at this time.<<<

Oh well. I tried.

Still love the car.
:dunno:
Thanks for trying and reporting back. This is exactly what I have suspected as well. Hope this answers people like markl5, who bugged me for days to bring it in and 'just get it fixed'. We know the dealers are full of **** - they do not make cars and they often know less than we do (despite their huge knowledge database which I assume they have access to from smart people in Germany... although, how smart are they to create the delay in the first place? There's gotta be a reason!). That's why I suggested getting in touch with 'BMW Deutschland' and somehow let them know and find out for sure (but I got a D- in German in high school! LOL). I wish I could get in touch with their techs and simply ask them the reason for the delay. Our North American techs know **** and are a pure waste of time (as we've confirmed one more time thanks to PsychDoc). Thank God I can live with this and it doesn't affect the drive that much at all, although it's still a shame - such a silly issue in such a great car. If anyone gets an idea how to contact BMW in Germany, post up guys!

In the meantime, whenever you test drive a new model, let us know if it has a delay! I will try to do that this Saturday. Will jump in a 550 and see for myself, if time allows.

Did you specifically ask them if they felt/confirmed the delay? Or do they simply claim it is NORMAL?

· Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had "the fix" and still have the same issue. Im waiting for Sprint Booster ordered last week.
What is a "Sprint Booster?"

Can you provide a link or anything with additional information?

TIA

· Registered
1,762 Posts
What is a "Sprint Booster?"

Can you provide a link or anything with additional information?

TIA
I don't know much about this tool but I'd say don't keep your hopes up. Our problem has nothing to do with the travel of the pedal, but with the engine and tranny software mapping.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
I don't know much about this tool but I'd say don't keep your hopes up. Our problem has nothing to do with the travel of the pedal, but with the engine and tranny software mapping.
The SprintBooster is intended to also reduce the lag on an electronic throttle. While on one level it largely amplifies the throttle output for any given input, it also seeks to reduce the time between the input being recognized and the signal being transmitted. I've not seen any feedback in relation to Sprint Boosters and the F10 (I am not even sure it is available for the F10), but there are a lot of E60 users who seem very happy with them and note that it also reduces lag in addition to boosting signal output for a given input.

· Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just a couple of thoughts. I really doubt that anything that will quicken up the throttle itself will do anything to ameliorate the problem(s) we've been discussing. As Yogi has pointed out in other threads, the problem is really not the response to the accelerator per se. This can be seen with the car in neutral or park as the engine revs absolutely instantly with the slightest touch of the accelerator. No, the problem is in the transmission and how it takes control over the throttle input when in drive.

In fairness to the dealership and the SA, it's not that they denied the existence of the problem, rather, they said that while they were well aware of it, it was a characteristic of the N55 engine and the 8 speed transmission. I tend to see this as accurate and doubt the reports of some who suggest that the car they drove either had no hesitation or that it was miraculously "cured" by any software patch. Clearly, this is way above any dealership's pay grade and if anything is going to be done to rectify the situation, it's going to have to be done by and though BMW corporate.

Finally, in terms of the overall effect on diminishing the driving pleasure of the F10 I'd have to say it's minimal. Once you get used to this it can largely be controlled by feathering the accelerator off the line. Thankfully, once the car is underway (say ~5mph) it goes like a bat out of hell. At speed it's as smooth as silk and no problems are apparent. I agree with some others who have suggested that this was likely a design decision on the part of the BMW engineers to wring every mpg possible out of this engine. Hell EPA mpg ratings of 19/28 in a 5.4" 0-60, 300 hp car weighing ~4200 lbs. is nothing short of an incredible accomplishment in my book.

· Registered
1,762 Posts
Well, yesterday I installed Sprint Booster. It took around five or six minutes to install. The ride is so much better. The car responds totally different; no more hesitation. Driving is so much fun. I'm still trying to figure out if I prefer the sport or normal mode.
I'm sorry but whenever people talk about hesitation in a "delay" thread, I want to scream... We are comparing apples and oranges. Hesitation issues have nothing to do with simple take-off delay. Hesitation issues were long ago solved by SW updates, from many accounts on this forum. So we have no idea whether your springbooster affects the very reason for this thread as posted by PsychDoc.

· Registered
52 Posts
I'm sorry but whenever people talk about hesitation in a "delay" thread, I want to scream... We are comparing apples and oranges. Hesitation issues have nothing to do with simple take-off delay. Hesitation issues were long ago solved by SW updates, from many accounts on this forum. So we have no idea whether your springbooster affects the very reason for this thread as posted by PsychDoc.

Well, don't scream. What I really meant was throttle delay. This is fixed by the Sprint Booster. The rest of my comments are the same.

· Registered
1,762 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.