BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my 2001 330ci for service for the clutch feeling weird and have some notchiness to it. It seems something is wrong with the throw out bearing and it was subject of a Service Bulletin.

Anybody have any more information about this? What is wrong and what does the bulletin say? I was told the whole clutch assembly is being replaced, pressure plate, clutch disk, etc.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
There was something funny going on with my clutch awhile back, and after few conversations with some TA's, the thinking was that it was due to the throw out bearing.

Here are the symptoms I was getting: during brisk acceleration, when depressing the clutch, I'd feel this weird shuddering through the clutch pedal as it neared the floor. Most pronounced in gears 1-3.

This can be simulated sitting still in the driveway in neutral, with the clutch completely depressed, and bring the engine speed momentarily to the rpm where the throbbing is felt.

I scheduled an appointment to have it looked at. But prior, I took a trip to Maine. On the way back, while passing a truck, I redlined the engine in 2nd. right after that - the shudder in the clutch went away. Bizzare. Moreover, now the clutch is even better than when new!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
geomax said:
Here are the symptoms I was getting: during brisk acceleration, when depressing the clutch, I'd feel this weird shuddering through the clutch pedal as it neared the floor. Most pronounced in gears 1-3.

This shudderring as well as a notch is exactly what I have. It is intermittent and comes and goes. Well, my dealer is replacing my whole clutch assembly to fix it. I rather they do that and fix it then not do anything and have to pick up a cost of clutch replacement when my warranty runs out. I only have 12,800 miles on my car also.

·
3,762 Posts
Doesn't sound too unusual. Probably the bearing is binding somewhat when pushed against the PP. Maybe metal shavings inside the bearing or some other type of debris. Thumbs up on free replacement of the entire clutch set! :thumb:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ff said:
Doesn't sound too unusual. Probably the bearing is binding somewhat when pushed against the PP. Maybe metal shavings inside the bearing or some other type of debris. Thumbs up on free replacement of the entire clutch set! :thumb:
It is nice that they are giving me a brand new clutch. I am hope it will be installed correctly.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Special info for my Bimmerfest friends....

Here it the clutch TSB:

As per SIB 21-01-01:

A popping sound or clicking sound may be heard from the clutch pedal at the last third of the clutch pedal travel when the clutch pedal is engaged or released

Procedure: Only if the customer complains of the above symptoms should the clutch be replaced.

Affected vehicles:

All E46's produced up to 3/01 (M52TU, M54 and S54 engines)
All E39's with 6 cylinder engines made from 9/97 to 3/01
All E39's with 8 cylinder engines from 9/96 to 3/01
All X5's with the M54 engine up to 3/01
All Z3's from 9/98 to 3/01
All Z8's up to 3/01

Not exactly a "vibration" as I thought, but it does affect alot of vehicles.

·
superwagon pilot
'17 991.2C, '19 e450 wagon, 11 135iC, 09 x3
1,403 Posts
Thanks for the info, can you tell me where you get the full text information from the TSBs? I have been looking for that forever!!

Thanks again,

Josh

DrBimmer said:
Special info for my Bimmerfest friends....

Here it the clutch TSB:

As per SIB 21-01-01:

A popping sound or clicking sound may be heard from the clutch pedal at the last third of the clutch pedal travel when the clutch pedal is engaged or released

Procedure: Only if the customer complains of the above symptoms should the clutch be replaced.

Affected vehicles:

All E46's produced up to 3/01 (M52TU, M54 and S54 engines)
All E39's with 6 cylinder engines made from 9/97 to 3/01
All E39's with 8 cylinder engines from 9/96 to 3/01
All X5's with the M54 engine up to 3/01
All Z3's from 9/98 to 3/01
All Z8's up to 3/01

Not exactly a "vibration" as I thought, but it does affect alot of vehicles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm having a similar sympton with my clutch pedal. Sometimes..and I mean SOMETIMES...I feel a slight vibration or rumbling in my clutch pedal when I push it down to the floor.

I have also noticed a slight clicking noise similiar to the clicking that is heard when I push down the clutch to start the car.

Are these two symptons covered under the service bulletin covered in this post?

But, my car is too new, it doesn't fall under that service bulletin...

Thanks,

dave

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
my car also has the same symptom on occasion. the big question is, any permanent damage if i don't get the clutch replaced? my fear is they screw something else up when they replace the clutch.

i hear they have to drop part of the engine down just to replce it. :dunno:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts