Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealership says my thrust rod bushings are completely cracked.
A bit confused with all sorts of different names.. Is this the Front Control Arm, or the Lower Control Arm?

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,213 Posts
On any other car, these would be called "lower control arms". BMW calls then by several names: thrust arm, tension strut, radius rod. No matter, these are all the same thing. There is, what appears to be, a hard rubber bushing pressed into the arm. But, that hard rubber bushing is actually filled with hydraulic fluid -- a small amount. When it ruptures, you might have seen a very small puddle on the floor under the wheel of black oily stuff. It doesn't not remove easily, even from my epoxy painted floor. A ruptured bushing isn't critical to fix immediately. On the E60, that arm is aluminum and you can only replace the bushing once and then you need a new arm. If you are going to DIY, a new TRW arm off Amazon isn't much more than the bushing itself and then you don't need to press out and in the bushing.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,213 Posts
BTW, TRW Automotive and Lemforder are both ZF companies. I suspect these are probably made in the same factories. The TRW ones I got had the BMW logo and part number ground off the arm. The ones I took off the car were TRW and I had the car since new, so these were originally TRW.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I remember correctly, Front Upper Control Arm bushings can be replaced, but not the Lower Control Arm Bushing.
Was wondering which is the Thrust Rod Bushing.
I got my car serviced like couple years ago, so no one remembers except taking the car back in there.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Upper is the thrust arm. You can replace just the bushing, but it's very hard. I would not bother. Just replace the arm. I removed my bushings to install monoballs and my 20 ton press was struggling.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
It makes no sense to press out the bushing and install a new one. By the time you pay for the hydraulic service, you could have easily installed a new arm with 2 new bushings or bushing/ball joint yourself. Easy DIY.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Another vote for replacing the whole arm. Mine were on their way out at 70k miles. Not too bad of a DIY job.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Do you know if the TRW arms have hydro bearings like the OE lemforders? It makes a noticeable difference in ride quality, which is the only reason I would consider lemforder over TRW.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Do you know if the TRW arms have hydro bearings like the OE lemforders? It makes a noticeable difference in ride quality, which is the only reason I would consider lemforder over TRW.
Construction looks the same, but there is no way to tell unless you cut them open.

I didn't really care since I ripped them out 5 minutes after I got them and installed monoballs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts