BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2008 528 with only 3K on it. Lately, anytime I go over a bump I hear a thudding noise coming from the rear - almost as if the trunk is open. I have made sure everything is tied down and even took the license plate off (in case it was the culprit) and no luck.

Any ideas where the noise could be coming from?

Thank you in advance.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
Have a 2008 528 with only 3K on it. Lately, anytime I go over a bump I hear a thudding noise coming from the rear - almost as if the trunk is open. I have made sure everything is tied down and even took the license plate off (in case it was the culprit) and no luck.

Any ideas where the noise could be coming from?

Thank you in advance.
You've checked the spare tire and tool tray I presume. Do you have rear fold down seats? Loose exhaust?

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check your first aid kit. Mine makes the same noise.
Tied everything down but the First Aid kit - will give that a shot. Thanks to all for the responses. Good one on tying bodies down :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I also have a 2008 528 and I have not had any issues, however I could see (prior to this post) where I could get some noise coming from the First Aid kit along with the 2 tools that come with it. So I made sure I clicked them in there real good. I also have a front end license plate holder in the trunk as the dealer left it there. (no need for a front license plate here in GA).

So with that said, I am not hearing any noise issues as stated above. Check under your seats, check the Spare tire is tied down, along with the jack etc.. Check the first aid kit, check the tools next to the first aid kit. Check to see that it is Screwed down all the way when closed as well.
Good luck, hopefully it is something like that as I do not want to have that noise later on down the road. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same problem and just spoke to my service advisor, my car is in the shop for that and another Safety Restraint issue, once I hear back from them - I will post what they found. If anyone has a service bulletin, please post it and let me know.

Thanks again for the comments above - loved the one about tying bodies down!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the same problem and just spoke to my service advisor, my car is in the shop for that and another Safety Restraint issue, once I hear back from them - I will post what they found. If anyone has a service bulletin, please post it and let me know.

Thanks again for the comments above - loved the one about tying bodies down!
Alright - I could not get rid of the noise by tying everything down. Made a service appointment with Classic BMW in Dallas. Lets see what they say.

On an unrelated note I also have an alignment problem - they are quoting me $180 to fix :mad: - no freebies.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Glad you got it figured out!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but wanted to provide an update. Dropped my car off with the dealer to fix the thudding noise coming from the trunk area; drove around town with the SA and he clearly heard the noise. The service department kept the car for the whole day and could not find anything - they were checking all the panels and nooks and crannies.

They want the car back next week and will do a more thorough check over two days - the noise is driving me nuts!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts