Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello bimmerfesters,

each time I brake from highway speeds on my 2017 x3 28xi, I feel mild thumping in the brake pedal that decreases in frequency as the car slows down. It's not ABS. It's as if there's unevenness in the brake rotors. There also mild steering wheel vibration when braking.
My car has only done 13K miles.

What could this be? and would it be covered under warranty? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Others will hopefully chime in but it could be a slightly warped rotor that is only noticeable at high speed braking.

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
It's probably just brake pad deposits on the rotors rather than warping. An easy fix is to sandpaper (don't use emery cloth!) both the rotor surfaces (inside and outside surfaces) and the face of the brake pads. Wash everything down with brake cleaner, reassemble, then complete the brake pad bedding-in process again.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would check for a loose pad on the disc brake pads... If one is broken or has become unglued it could be making noise...

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's probably just brake pad deposits on the rotors
Good point, especially with low mileage (I didn't see that at first). Unless, of course, he's been having fun, driving wild, and heating up the brakes on breakneck downhill curves.......
;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your help! I will take it to the dealer and keep you posted on what happens

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
took it to dealer, they changed the front brake pads and resurfaced the rotors under warranty. The steering wheel vibration is gone and so is the sequential thumping. But: 1- there's some roughness in the brake pedal feel still. 2- there's a subtle whining noise when braking at highway speed. Again they are subtle but noticeable to me.

I guess I should give some time for bedding of the new pads before making my final judgement?

·
Registered
243 Posts
But: 1- there's some roughness in the brake pedal feel still. 2- there's a subtle whining noise when braking at highway speed. Again they are subtle but noticeable to me.

I guess I should give some time for bedding of the new pads before making my final judgement?
After driving for a while, the new brake pads and discs will seat properly and should feel good. Might take a while. Glad that you got it fixed properly!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts